The Future Of GoonersWorld?

Logging in issues, general problems with the forum or make a suggestion. We are always ready to listen!

Re: The Future Of GoonersWorld?

Postby Clarkey T » Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 am

For me, this forum needs a bit of a err 'refresh' if you want to call it that.

To start with... It has too many forums - introductions / Euro 2016 and a few others that haven't been posted in since long time should be scrapped.

Secondly - the whole 'ban list' - as someone with experience running a forum that idea strikes me as power rulers, if you ban a member the whole world don't need to know about it.

Thirdly - poster of the month / poster of the year - it's not exactly putting a level field across for all members... it's a forum for adults, people don't need rewarding for their posts.

Fourth - the most important thing to running a forum for me is keeping the thread title true to the thread content - so many threads on here go off topic that it's unreal.

I guess what am saying is... it just needs a bit of a re organisation and a tidy up, like David Luiz's hair etc.
Industrial construction and engineering needs? established in 1889 TClarke offers an extensive range of services to cater for all needs.
Clarkey T
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed May 25, 2022 4:30 am

It's not that deep.

POTM/POTY is just a fun tradition, no one is being "rewarded" with anything.

It's a football forum, what reward could there possibly be?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 30, 2022 12:10 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:It's not that deep.

POTM/POTY is just a fun tradition, no one is being "rewarded" with anything.

It's a football forum, what reward could there possibly be?

Agreed, no one is forced to take part but if a member is contributing in a way that forum members feel should be recognised then there is no harm in it.

Clarkey T wrote:Secondly - the whole 'ban list' - as someone with experience running a forum that idea strikes me as power rulers, if you ban a member the whole world don't need to know about it.

The ban list was actually requested / discussed between moderators and forum members a while back.
One of its uses was that if someone suddenly disappears from posting because they were banned then forum members know why, it was also I believe to keep track of all the fake / new accounts banned members were creating to sneak back on the forum.

Its not about the Mods having a power trip, it was an idea put to the forum to have one for a reason.

We have some of, if not the best Mods here that I've come across on any forums, they certainly aren't deserving of having that accusation made at them when all the proof clearly shows they don't throw their weight around, some have even said they don't do it enough.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:18 pm

Got to say, the Poster of the Month thing is a fun thing, I usually always forget to vote but I think it highlights those posters that have made a good impact in that month, nothing wrong with it.

Too many forums - I have no problem with that, its not some huge list that takes ages to scroll through and allows people to discuss other topics. When things are quiet I find myself scouring the other forums to see if there is a thread to take interest in.

I like the idea of a ban list, I can see who has been banned if someone seems to have disappeared, I don't get the feeling of a Mod power trip from it. It also keeps track of the serial "ban-ees"

Thread creep is the worst issue by far and in recent times it has been every thread ending up morphing into the same - Arteta In vs Arteta Out.

Good that you thought to post some constructive criticism though Clarkey.
theHotHead
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Clarkey T » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:23 pm

Nuggets wrote:So what can be done about it?

It's free software, it can be updated easily as there doesn't appear to be any mods installed, the Metro style is premium but an updated version is available on the ThemeForest website

Making a back up of the database is easy, so literally a couple of hours work and GoonersWorld would be up to date, Leeds United's Marching On Together forum also uses pbpBB.

Version 3.3.8 of phpBB has been released now too.
Industrial construction and engineering needs? established in 1889 TClarke offers an extensive range of services to cater for all needs.
Clarkey T
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Zenith » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:06 am

Clarkey T wrote:
Nuggets wrote:So what can be done about it?

It's free software, it can be updated easily as there doesn't appear to be any mods installed, the Metro style is premium but an updated version is available on the ThemeForest website

Making a back up of the database is easy, so literally a couple of hours work and GoonersWorld would be up to date, Leeds United's Marching On Together forum also uses pbpBB.

Version 3.3.8 of phpBB has been released now too.

I can assure you that GW's host is well-aware of this, but there's a valid reason as to why the version hasn't been updated for a while.

If you want to give him a hand, you can contact Ellimist here.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Problems/Suggestions