Leon Walker

Leon Walker

Postby Fabrestuta » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:52 pm

I don't really follow club rugby but saw this and was disheartened. The lad was only 21 and collapsed and died shortly after. RIP.

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats player Leon Walker has died after collapsing during a reserve team fixture against Celtic Crusaders at Maesteg.

Walker, 21, collapsed after an hour of play and was airlifted to Morriston Hospital in Swansea where he passed away.

The engage Super League match between Wakefield and the Crusaders which was due to be played this evening was postponed.

Walker began his career at amateur club Churwell Chiefs and spent three years at Salford City Reds before joining the Wildcats in 2008; he also represented Yorkshire and England in 2007.

“This is a tragic loss for all involved with rugby league,” said Wakefield chairman Ted Richardson. “Clearly everybody at the club is devastated by this news and all our sympathies and prayers are with the family at this time.”

The Rugby Football League made the decision to postpone the Super League game after news broke of Walker’s death.

“This is truly shocking and tragic news and our heartfelt condolences go to the parents, family and friends of Leon as well as the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats club”, said RFL chief executive Nigel Wood.

“Our thoughts and sympathies are with all those involved at this devastating time.”

LINK
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: Leon Walker

Postby gzagee » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:19 am

Damn, that's so unfortunate.
Is he related to Chev Walker, yorky?

RIP.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Trina » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:32 am

I was just about to post this. I heard about the game being called off last night but nothing was announced.

So young too....RIP
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:47 am

Saw that on SSN last night, didn't have a clue who the boy was but tragic all the same :(
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Git » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:12 am

RIP =(
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Rachael » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:29 am

i dont knoe him personally but i know alot of his friends, very sad indeed, R.I.P
Rachael
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Rachael wrote:i dont knoe him personally but i know alot of his friends, very sad indeed, R.I.P

My mate from work knows a lot of his team mates at Wakey. He was telling me last night he'd only played for Wakey for about 2 week?
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:17 pm

Just to add, it's the second Wakefield player to drop dead in the last 5 months, Adam Watene being the other. :(
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Rachael » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:36 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
Rachael wrote:i dont knoe him personally but i know alot of his friends, very sad indeed, R.I.P

My mate from work knows a lot of his team mates at Wakey. He was telling me last night he'd only played for Wakey for about 2 week?

aye, this lad i know was playing in the game as well, his head is in bits :( leon went to school near me, used to go out with this lass from my school. its so sad, realy puts things into perspective
Rachael
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby damo1583 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:41 pm

truely sad and shocking.......... you take hits in the game but no-one expects this to happen, a young man who had alot of life ahead of him cut short in his prime.....RIP
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm

Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Return to Rugby