YORKSHIRE

YORKSHIRE

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:56 pm

Super League: Leeds Rhinos
NL 1: Castleford Tigers
NL 2: Featherstone Rovers
NL3: Featherstone Lions

CHAMPIONS. Just shows how important this area is to Rugby League. All the leagues won by teams in a couple of miles radious. Hopefully the RFL will open their eyes and see how important it is when the franchises come around.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: YORKSHIRE

Postby SE13 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:03 pm

When I was a youngster, Rugby League used to be shown on Grandstand, sort of about 2pm or so. As a Londoner, I always noticed how the bulk of the teams were from a similar area.

How was this the case, and why is it predominantly still the case?

I know I live in the arse end of beyond, and such things will never happen here, but neighbouring Counties such as Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire have no top level representation. How so?

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:19 pm

It all goes back to the days of Rugby Union. Back in the late 1800's and early 1900's the Northern teams couldn't afford to travel down south for away games so one sunny afternoon in Hudderfield, hey had a meeting in the George Hotel (outside the train station). They broke away from Rugby Union to form the Northern Union - later named Rugby League. As the games have pregressed the sports have changed to be nothing like each other.

Castleford, Leeds, Wakefield and Featherstone have always played the sport and because there is only one football team in this area, most lads seem to play Rugby League. After this area, it's not far out to Bradford, Dewsbury, Batley and Keighley. It's such a strong base for the sport.

Across the pennines it's the same with St Helens, Warrington, Wigan, Widnes and Leigh, you can even put Salford into the frame there. There is a lot more football going on there though so they don't breed as many players as we do here, as shown in Yorkshire V Lancashire games. :trophy:

Hopefully that helps, lol.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ozgooner » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:06 pm

castleford tigers go back up to superleague then hey yorky , we'll have to go watch a game when i come over ( i assume thats what you meant when you said "a real game of league" ) ;)

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:19 am

Yey yep. The season starts in the middle of Feb usualy so it's good timing. Any idea if the date of the WCC?
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ozgooner » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:23 pm

as far as i can find out on the net is that the third friday in feb (15th) is the preferred date . whether that is accurate or not i don't know mate .

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Return to Rugby