Why is the North so bad at rugby?

Re: Why is the North so bad at rugby?

Postby Pudpop » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Goonerfromafrica wrote:Like pudpop said, I played football at a separate club but at high school I was forced to play rugby. My parents were actually against it but I guess at that time you couldn't really say no, being year 1 and 2.

Exactly. I was thinking of stopping school sport this year (but I still have to do cross country) and play football instead, but because its an outside club it clashes with school stuff which has to be prioritized :disgust:
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 am

Pudpop wrote:
Goonerfromafrica wrote:Like pudpop said, I played football at a separate club but at high school I was forced to play rugby. My parents were actually against it but I guess at that time you couldn't really say no, being year 1 and 2.

Exactly. I was thinking of stopping school sport this year (but I still have to do cross country) and play football instead, but because its an outside club it clashes with school stuff which has to be prioritized :disgust:

You go to SACS?
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pudpop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 pm

Goonerfromafrica wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

You go to SACS?

Good guess wow
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Goonerfromafrica wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

You go to SACS?

Good guess wow

:lol: it's the only school in CP I know.
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jacobharris » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 am

Yorkyblue wrote:
ModmanAFC wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:Don't even play Rugby Union in some schools.

Thats shocking. My kids are all grown up so im a bit out of touch with the schools now days. Back in the day rugby was seen as a get even hour in my school. Us little un`s could get our own back on the bigger boys lol...

The same question could be asked about the England football team. England gave the world both football and rugby, and yet we are gash at both :redface:

It's more rugby league up here though mate. We did a bit of union for the sake of it but everyone just wants league.

in my school we only played league once in 5 years. played union all the time.
jacobharris
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 am

Where are you from?
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby dunkdafunk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 am

Its only the grammar schools and a few comprehensives that teach rugby union to the masses in most of England,
I played all through secondary school, and our opponents were always grammer schools or private schools, only a few comprehensives whaen we wanted an easy match. (unless it was in a rugby rich area like around wales or south west England)

Other than that kids are going to be taught football first, rugby second.

In the part of southern hemisphere i've visited SA it seems to be rugby / cricket first, then maybe a bit of football / softball.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Apollo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm

dunkdafunk wrote:Its only the grammar schools and a few comprehensives that teach rugby union to the masses in most of England,
I played all through secondary school, and our opponents were always grammer schools or private schools, only a few comprehensives whaen we wanted an easy match. (unless it was in a rugby rich area like around wales or south west England)

In the part of southern hemisphere i've visited SA it seems to be rugby / cricket first, then maybe a bit of football / softball.

True!
Lol softball, we dont have softball here

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 pm

dunkdafunk wrote:Its only the grammar schools and a few comprehensives that teach rugby union to the masses in most of England,

True. I went to a comprehensive in an area with Grammar schools and when we played rugby we never played any of them. But Football was all through the winter and rugby was only played competing with other schools in the 6 weeks before Easter and many games got called off due to weather and never got reorganised wheras (as far as I remember) football matches were.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby GSK_AFC » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:28 pm

It probably depends on the area of the country though. I'm from a grammar school and rugby isn't one of the main sports. The main focus is football and then cricket and rugby to a lesser extent.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Previous

Return to Rugby