Saracens to axe XV and replace with South African players

Saracens to axe XV and replace with South African players

Postby gzagee » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Not sure how many here follow Union, there seems to be quite alot of League fans on here but, I've been reading the goings-ons at Sarries this season. I have to say I think it stinks that Nigel Wray the club owner has decided to cut 15 players and replace them players from the Blue Bulls and the Stormers. Okay, the club is part-owned by a SA consortium but i think this is going too far.
Already Eddie Jones had left his position as Director of Rugby early because of it and I can't say i blame him.
It's ripping the heart out of the club and is yet another example of a sporting organisation dismissing the traditions of the club in favour of commercial opportunities.
I hear Wray has said they will continue to explore identifying local talent.
Funny, cos that seems to contradict Andre Venter's (incoming head coach) view that it'll be a home for young South African players abroad.
Saracens will be no more than a training ground for developing SA players, the 10th province...

It's a fookn crime.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Saracens to axe XV and replace with South African players

Postby Libertine » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:24 am

Nigel Wray was on the radio yesterdayday using Arsenal as an example of "if the club's succesful then the fans won't care where the players come from."...
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Saracens to axe XV and replace with South African players

Postby gzagee » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:41 am

What a load of bollocks he talks. He's moved that club all over the M25, their small band of Fez fans are being treated like sh*te and I wouldn't be surprised if some abandon them next year.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Return to Rugby