Floyd 'Money' Mayweather to make a comeback?

Floyd 'Money' Mayweather to make a comeback?

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Not as if it's a surprise... Nonetheless, if true, can't wait!

Updated: March 19, 2009, 10:03 AM ET

Sources: Mayweather Jr. close to return

Floyd Mayweather Jr., who hasn't fought since December 2007 and retired as the undefeated pound-for-pound king in June, is planning to fight again -- possibly as soon as July 11 -- two sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com.

"He is coming back. I've been around him. He's ready to dance again very soon," said one source, who recently spent time with Mayweather and has known him for years. "He's itching to go. The way he sounded, he is willing to take on whoever they throw in his face. He would do the [Manny] Pacquiao-[Ricky] Hatton winner, Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez. The only one he doesn't have an interest in is [a rematch with] Oscar De La Hoya. But in Floyd's mind, he knows there is one Godzilla, and that's a fight with Pacquiao."

Mayweather has been sparring and working out regularly in his Las Vegas gym and is in great shape, according to one of the sources.

Before Mayweather fights one of the big names, both sources said Mayweather's team has talked to HBO about the availability of July 11, the network's date for that month's edition of "World Championship Boxing."

Mayweather, whose last four bouts, and five of his last six, have been on HBO PPV, has expressed an interest in fighting on HBO rather than pay-per-view for a possible tune-up bout ahead of a possible fall fight with the winner of the May 2 Hatton-Pacquiao bout.

HBO, however, would have to come up with a substantial license fee to make it work, so it remains to be seen if a bout on the network could be made. A summer comeback fight for Mayweather, who has been dogged by IRS issues, could also go on pay-per-view instead.

HBO also has another dilemma. It has not committed to giving Main Events and Golden Boy Promotions the July 11 date for a fight that is being negotiated between cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek and former two-division champion Bernard Hopkins, and one of the reasons is because HBO has also been talking to Mayweather about the date, said one of the sources, who has knowledge of HBO's issue.

"They don't want to upset Floyd and they hope the situation resolves itself," the source said.

HBO president Ross Greenburg was tight-lipped on the matter.

"Not only do I have no comment, it's premature to discuss," Greenburg told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "There are no real substantive talks."

But has Mayweather or one of his advisers contacted HBO about a summer fight?

"I'm not confirming or denying that," Greenburg said. "I'm not going to comment. Call me back in a few weeks."

Talk about a Mayweather comeback has swirled for months.

In December, Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs), who turned 32 on Feb. 24, told his advisers, Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbe, that they were free to listen to offers for fights.

Earlier this month, Mayweather's father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., who trains Hatton, told media members (who were on a teleconference to discuss Hatton-Pacquiao) that his son's ring return was imminent.

"Of course, there is no question about it," Mayweather Sr. said. "He's trying to get a fight right now, as we speak. He's gonna fight again."

Haymon could not be reached for comment. Ellerbe did not return numerous telephone messages and e-mails.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... id=3994843
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Floyd 'Money' Mayweather to make a comeback?

Postby StLGooner » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:29 pm

Surprise, surprise!! :rolleyes:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:33 pm

Obviously needs the cash...
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:01 pm

Up For Grabs Now wrote:Obviously needs the cash...

And the accoloade. And he'll probably get what he wants cos he's box office. Brilliant fighter, of that there's no doubt.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Excellent fighter, wish he wouldn't have been such a loud mouth, show boat his whole career, at least he can back it up though. Got to respect him for wanting to come back and face the top fighters though.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby left right left » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:33 pm

top man..... wont get beat by anyone out there at thre moe...

i read he has earnt oner 75 million from the fight game already
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cheese » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Does anyone think we'll ever see a Hatton vs Mayweather? Would be great to see Mayweather challenge Hatton here in England.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:48 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Does anyone think we'll ever see a Hatton vs Mayweather? Would be great to see Mayweather challenge Hatton here in England.

If Hatton beats Pacquiao, then we'll see it.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 pm

At Hatton's weight no doubt.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Fabrestuta » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:17 pm

I like Ricky but it was proven for all to see that he's not in Mayweathers class, and I don't think that would change no matter where the fight was held.
That said, I really couldn't see Mayweather coming back, he has nothing to prove and if he made a comeback it could only harm his legacy.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Fordy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:30 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:I like Ricky but it was proven for all to see that he's not in Mayweathers class, and I don't think that would change no matter where the fight was held.
That said, I really couldn't see Mayweather coming back, he has nothing to prove and if he made a comeback it could only harm his legacy.

the problem is i dont think anyone is in Mayweathers class, one of the best there as been but boy is he a cock
Fordy

Postby left right left » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:50 pm

hatten m-weather 2 wont happen, ever!!!
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fabrestuta » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Fordy wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:I like Ricky but it was proven for all to see that he's not in Mayweathers class, and I don't think that would change no matter where the fight was held.

the problem is i dont think anyone is in Mayweathers class, one of the best there as been but boy is he a cock

Very true. The man is indeed one of the greatest pound for pound fighters ever (from any era), you also can't argue that he is a complete d***head.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Libertine » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:46 am

left right left wrote:hatten m-weather 2 wont happen, ever!!!

I agree.

I'd like to see Marquez stepping up from lightweight to challenge Mayweather
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Return to Boxing