Joe Calzaghe Retires Undefeated.........

Joe Calzaghe Retires Undefeated.........

Postby damo1583 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Undefeated world super-middleweight and light-heavyweight champion Joe Calzaghe has retired, BBC Sport can reveal.

The 36-year-old Welshman, who reigned as a world champion for more than 11 years, quits the ring with a glittering record of 46 wins from 46 fights.

"It was a difficult decision but I have achieved everything I wanted to achieve in boxing," he told BBC Sport.

"I've been world champion for 11 years. I've got no other goals to go for. That's why I am calling it a day."

In an exclusive interview with BBC sports editor Mihir Bose, Calzaghe, who held the WBO, WBA, WBC and IBF super-middleweight belts during his 16-year professional career, said he had thought "long and hard" about retiring but insisted it was the right move. I'm proud to be one of only a few fighters in history to retire undefeated

Joe Calzaghe

"I had a long think with my family," he said. "My children wanted me to give up, plus my mum. That's why I called it a day and will go on to do something else."

Asked if he could ever be tempted back into the ring in the future, the Newbridge fighter replied: "My decision is to retire. I've been boxing for 25 years and, like I said, I've achieved everything I want to achieve.

"You can never say never in this game, but I can't see myself boxing again. There's loads of things I want to do. I'm proud to be one of only a few fighters in history to retire undefeated."

Calzaghe, who was born in London but moved to Wales when he was two, chalked up an impressive record as an amateur, winning 110 of his 120 contests after taking up the sport at the age of nine.

He began his professional career with a first-round stoppage of Paul Hanlon on 1 October, 1993, going on to win seven of his first nine bouts in round one.

Trained by his father, Enzo, he became British super-middleweight champion in 1995 before capturing his first world title in 1997, outpointing Chris Eubank to claim the WBO crown.

Despite suffering from several hand injuries, Calzaghe defended the title a total of 21 times, adding the IBF version to his trophy cabinet with a stunning victory over American Jeff Lacy in March 2006.

Joe Calzaghe wins Sports Personality
He then claimed the WBA and WBC belts with what he feels is his most satisfying fight, a unanimous points win over Denmark's Mikkel Kessler at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on 4 November, 2007.

"Unifying the super-middleweight division in front of 50,000 fans was a dream come true for me," he told BBC Sport.

"I was fighting a younger fighter than me, I was the underdog. A lot of people thought I was going to lose that fight. It was a great night."

Just a few weeks later, he was named BBC Sports Personality of the Year, collecting a CBE soon afterwards, which went nicely along the MBE he received in 2003.

Calzaghe's final two fights cemented his reputation as one of Britain's greatest ever boxers.

Stepping up to light-heavyweight and fighting in America for the first time, he won a split decision against Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas to become 'The Ring' light-heavyweight champion.

He then finished his career with a comprehensive points victory over the legendary Roy Jones Jr at New York's Madison Square Garden on 8 November.
Calzaghe poses with the WBO and WBC super-middleweight betlls

Calzaghe, who will be 37 on 23 March, hinted before the fight with Jones that it would be his last, despite talk of a re-match with Hopkins.

Fellow Briton Carl Froch, who took possession of Calzaghe's old WBC super-middleweight belt by beating Canadian Jean Pascal in December, was also eager to take him on.

But Calzaghe resisted the lure of another big pay day and the chance to inch closer to Rocky Marciano's record of 49 wins from 49 fights.

Calzaghe, who has two sons, Connor and Joe, from his marriage to Mandy, says he now plans to concentrate on his charity work and becoming a boxing promoter.

Now divorced and living with model girlfriend Jo-Emma, he also revealed he had several TV projects lined up.
BBC.co.uk

Joe the Nation salutes you....................
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: Joe Calzaghe Retires Undefeated.........

Postby gouldinho » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:34 pm

A true boxing legend
IT WAS CESC FABREGAS INSPIRED
gouldinho
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby TheLittleMozart » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:46 pm

Glad to see that he had the sense to quit while he's ahead,unlike so many great legends that should have hung up thier gloves uears ago.

Respect.
A true boxing legend.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:47 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:Glad to see that he had the sense to quit while he's ahead,unlike so many great legends that should have hung up thier gloves uears ago.

Respect.
A true boxing legend.

Agreed, always best to leave with your head held high.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby gzagee » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:47 pm

Indeed. Finally got the credit he deserved once he fought the big boys. Not sure if Frank Warren held him back for years or not but, he beat the legends so fair play to him.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby left right left » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:51 pm

glad he finished unhurt and in good health

but i,m not a fan, and dont belive the hype
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TheLittleMozart » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:35 pm

left right left wrote:glad he finished unhurt and in good health

How so?...
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby left right left » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:05 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:

How so?...

funny the way joe waited for hopkins to get to 43, and waited for jones to get to 39 and lose a few fights before he went to the us to fight them

why didnt he go there 6 years ago and fight them????????
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby damo1583 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:16 pm

left right left wrote:
TheLittleMozart wrote:

How so?...

funny the way joe waited for hopkins to get to 43, and waited for jones to get to 39 and lose a few fights before he went to the us to fight them

why didnt he go there 6 years ago and fight them????????

LRL I do get your point about Joe and I for one would have loved to see him up against Hopkins, Jones jnr and James Tony 10 years ago. But He just didnt have the box office draw or the right promotion team behind him, he had to build his record to force the latter fights of his career which he still won, any fighter with a 46 an 0 record has to go down as a legend mate.
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby left right left » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:36 pm

i too see what you are saying!!!

but he had the same promotion team then as he had now, he was unbeaten wbo world champion!!!

but credit where credit is due 46-0 is in the gang, even if some were utter W****rs he boxed
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby damo1583 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:44 pm

Hatton would have been more impressive but he took on an all time great and got a lesson which will allways tarnish his career, Calzaghe has played it much cleverer and got out at the right time unscathed physically and career wise, two young kids, a model bird and a ton of money...........
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby meridamullet » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:31 am

i remember the kessler fight well, the bloody cable kept cutting out at the pub!

46-0 undefeated multiple world champion :hail:

bucketloads of cash :hail:

bitchin hot model girlfriend :hail:

where's the smiley for jealous?
meridamullet
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cheese » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Well deserved retirement in my eyes.

46-0 :hail:

Up there with the best.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Libertine » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Well done to him on remaining unbeaten.

Unfortunately (like LRL as already said) i felt he spent too long being concerned about remaining undefeated, rather than fighting the best out there.

It was well documented that he had a touch of the "Berkamps" but even so he should have gone to the States much earlier in his career.

That said, 46-0 is still an excellent record.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Libertine » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:27 pm

damo1583 wrote:Hatton would have been more impressive but he took on an all time great and got a lesson which will allways tarnish his career

I look at that completely opposite though mate.
I think Hatton's career looks more complete for having gone and fought the best pound for pound fighter in the world, in his own back-yard, regardless of the result.

Hatton hasn't ducked anybody, the same can't be said for Calzaghe.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Next

Return to Boxing