Joe Calzaghe Retires Undefeated.........

Re: Joe Calzaghe Retires Undefeated.........

Postby TheLittleMozart » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:38 pm

left right left wrote:
TheLittleMozart wrote:
left right left wrote:glad he finished unhurt and in good health

but i,m not a fan, and dont belive the hype

How so?...

funny the way joe waited for hopkins to get to 43, and waited for jones to get to 39 and lose a few fights before he went to the us to fight them

why didnt he go there 6 years ago and fight them????????

Aye I do agree with that but as people say I think it was mabey Frank Warren who was holing him back becuase he wanted Joe to stay un-beaten. But when he did have to fight the big guys he did and beat them. Jeff lacey,Kessler and yes even Hopkins,He may be 40 odds but hes still got it becuase look how he demolished Kelly Pavlik!
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Libertine wrote:
damo1583 wrote:Hatton would have been more impressive but he took on an all time great and got a lesson which will allways tarnish his career

I look at that completely opposite though mate.
I think Hatton's career looks more complete for having gone and fought the best pound for pound fighter in the world, in his own back-yard, regardless of the result.

Hatton hasn't ducked anybody, the same can't be said for Calzaghe.

But did Calzaghe actually duck the fights, or did his promotions team?

I'll wager he would have been happy to take on anyone, but the promotions people wanted the maximum amount of money and pushed him into taking the biggest purses at times to suit them.

Still, I've enjoyed watching him over the years, and hats off to him for the unbeaten record.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby left right left » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:18 pm

Libertine wrote:
damo1583 wrote:Hatton would have been more impressive but he took on an all time great and got a lesson which will allways tarnish his career

I think Hatton's career looks more complete for having gone and fought the best pound for pound fighter in the world, in his own back-yard, regardless of the result.

you beat me to it libs!!

just coz hattans 0 is gone dont make him any less..... as libs said.. he took the bull by the horns and went for the best
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Libertine » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:13 am

left right left wrote:
Libertine wrote:

you beat me to it libs!!

just coz hattans 0 is gone dont make him any less..... as libs said.. he took the bull by the horns and went for the best

Too much emphasis is put on boxers remaining undefeated in modern day boxing.

Look at Amir Khan. He got knocked out and suddenly, because he no longer has a 0 to worry about losing, Frank Warren is prepared to stick him in with a name fighter, in order to further his career.
If Khan was still undefeated i guarantee his next fight would've be against a South American with a dubious 12-4ish record.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:51 pm

Not a big boxing fan but I like British boxers to do well... Calzaghe is a legend and I'm glad he's retiring undefeated. I dont know why he's always seemed to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder about not getting the credit he deserves though... what does he want, a county named after him?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Previous

Return to Boxing