Mayweather Pacquiao

Re: Mayweather Pacquiao

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 04, 2015 1:03 pm

VCC wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Apollo wrote:

Run
When hit or in trouble Hold

Well yes. When a boxer is in trouble they are supposed to take evasive action or tie their opponent up - unless they want to get savaged...

Mayweather does not run; he is defensive wizard capable of nullifying his opponents entire arsenal - he is one of the most cerebral fighters of all time. His defense is impenetrable and his skills unparalleled in this generation of fighters, if people can't discern his talent then that is because they don't understand the point of boxing - hit and don't get hit - or the nuances of the sport.

Have you followed Mayweather for long? He has had many exciting fights in his career (Corrales, Gatti, Augustus, etc.) and was a lot more offensive as a LW.

Unfortunately Mayweather may have done some serious damage to the prospects of boxing moving forward, a lot of first time viewers probably won't be watching boxing again #fightofthecentury

Mayweather is one of the only reasons boxing is ever mainstream news at all; he is the sports biggest draw and has helped keep it relevant for years. The guy is 38 years old, it's down to the failure of others (promoters, commissions, fighters) that someone at his age is even tasked with upholding the popularity/forging the future of the sport.

And if casual fans have been left disappointed then tough shit. Like I said before he is very old (and still managed to outclass Pacquiao with ease) and has been fighting in this vein for years, it is his trademark style.

If you are going to jump on the hype train you better know where it's going.

It's not up to him to change his style just to appease these casual fans; if people are f***ked off because they were expecting a hellacious brawl then that's their problem.

Floyd Mayweather is Floyd Mayweather - and he is one of the greatest to ever do it.

great post

All of that is true, however, that doesn't mean he's exciting to watch. Give me a puncher any day over what Floyd does. It's the entertainment business, you're suppose to entertain us.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Mon May 04, 2015 1:06 pm

I would argue that although Mayweather is a successful boxer, he is not a great boxer. A boxer who doesn't like a scrap is ultimately just a coward with muscles. And a sportsman who makes people dislike his sport can never be great.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby realtalk » Mon May 04, 2015 2:36 pm

This why I watch & prefer mma I dont know 90% of the guys but some body going to get wrecked. Mayweather is just that guy he was never gonna step out & be different too much to lose for him.Fight turned out as expected.
realtalk
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Tue May 05, 2015 7:13 am

most MMA wins are by grappling nothing exciting about that IMO
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 05, 2015 7:51 am

UFGN wrote:I would argue that although Mayweather is a successful boxer, he is not a great boxer. A boxer who doesn't like a scrap is ultimately just a coward with muscles. And a sportsman who makes people dislike his sport can never be great.

No one who steps between those ropes and fights can ever be considered a coward - especially someone who has done it 48 times for nigh on two decades.

Boxers are the antithesis of cowards.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Big17 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:15 am

Va Va has been spot on with everything he has said.

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
UFGN wrote:I would argue that although Mayweather is a successful boxer, he is not a great boxer. A boxer who doesn't like a scrap is ultimately just a coward with muscles. And a sportsman who makes people dislike his sport can never be great.

No one who steps between those ropes and fights can ever be considered a coward - especially someone who has done it 48 times for nigh on two decades.

This also. Goodnight.
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 05, 2015 1:43 pm

VCC wrote:most MMA wins are by grappling nothing exciting about that IMO

Is it really most though? I get that people don't like the jujitsu part of it, it can be boring, however that is up to opinion like most things, but don't just make up stats if it ain't true.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Tue May 05, 2015 2:46 pm

MMA is so much better. Boxing is a dying sport.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby CukiZeGerman » Tue May 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Callum wrote:MMA is so much better. Boxing is a dying sport.

I'll just say - ANDERSON SILVA

Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Tue May 05, 2015 3:12 pm

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Callum wrote:MMA is so much better. Boxing is a dying sport.

This has been the generic narrative of the week peddled out by everyone and their mother.

Boxing is not dying and it never will, it has been around since the beginning of time. Also think it ironic to declare the death of the sport when Mayweather/Pacquiao was the biggest sporting event of the year and shattered all PPV records.

Anyway, Mayweather says he's open to a rematch next year. Cue everyone saying they aren't interested, won't watch and won't buy but we all know when it rolls around the eyes of the world will again be fixated on the fight and it will dwarf any event MMA has ever put on.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Cripps » Tue May 05, 2015 8:04 pm

I won't buy the rematch. I can guarantee that.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Tue May 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Pac to have surgery on his shoulder keeping him out for a year which ends any thoughts of a rematch
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Cripps wrote:Pac to have surgery on his shoulder keeping him out for a year which ends any thoughts of a rematch

Mayweather knows about the surgery, that's why he said it will be next year.

He will beat Khan or Thurman in September and improve to 49-0.

They will bill the rematch as being the true test because Pacquiao was injured in the first one.

They will fight September 2016 as Mayweather tries for 50-0 which would see him surpass Rocky Marciano's record.

Both will again make an obscene amount of money except this time Mayweather will command 70% of the purse taking home $120+ million.

All the narratives are in place for a sequel: Pacquiao being 100% fit and Mayweather trying to make history in his final fight.

Personally I think a lot this was planned, they were always going to engineer round 2 as there is too much money to be made. Why wouldn't they do it again?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Cripps » Tue May 05, 2015 8:40 pm

Isn't floyd adamant September is his last fight?

If not then he better hope he doesn't face Khan. Mayweather running may work against other boxers but Khan is far too quick and he'll knock him the f**k out. You read it here first.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing