Mayweather Pacquiao

Re: Mayweather Pacquiao

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun May 03, 2015 10:54 am

Apollo wrote:

Run
When hit or in trouble Hold

Well yes. When a boxer is in trouble they are supposed to take evasive action or tie their opponent up - unless they want to get savaged...

Mayweather does not run; he is defensive wizard capable of nullifying his opponents entire arsenal - he is one of the most cerebral fighters of all time. His defense is impenetrable and his skills unparalleled in this generation of fighters, if people can't discern his talent then that is because they don't understand the point of boxing - hit and don't get hit - or the nuances of the sport.

Have you followed Mayweather for long? He has had many exciting fights in his career (Corrales, Gatti, Augustus, etc.) and was a lot more offensive as a LW.

Unfortunately Mayweather may have done some serious damage to the prospects of boxing moving forward, a lot of first time viewers probably won't be watching boxing again #fightofthecentury

Mayweather is one of the only reasons boxing is ever mainstream news at all; he is the sports biggest draw and has helped keep it relevant for years. The guy is 38 years old, it's down to the failure of others (promoters, commissions, fighters) that someone at his age is even tasked with upholding the popularity/forging the future of the sport.

And if casual fans have been left disappointed then tough shit. Like I said before he is very old (and still managed to outclass Pacquiao with ease) and has been fighting in this vein for years, it is his trademark style.

If you are going to jump on the hype train you better know where it's going.

It's not up to him to change his style just to appease these casual fans; if people are f***ked off because they were expecting a hellacious brawl then that's their problem.

Floyd Mayweather is Floyd Mayweather - and he is one of the greatest to ever do it.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Apollo » Sun May 03, 2015 11:10 am

There's nothing wrong with what Mayweather does, thats his style, but it is his style.He owns it, the Chelsea of the boxing world.

I think its a little more than tough sh*t is casual fans are left dissapointed. Mayweather is about to retire so it effects him very little, but judging by peoples reactions the sport took a significant hit today.Its unfortunate that this was labeled the fight of the century as the hype may have lost the sport more fans than it gained.

And without new fans, well you don't have a sport.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun May 03, 2015 11:20 am

You clearly don't watch boxing.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Apollo » Sun May 03, 2015 11:33 am

Apart from trying to convince people around me to start watching boxing for years,as its a far superior sport to MMA i have no affiliation with the sport.

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby UFGN » Sun May 03, 2015 11:34 am

I'll tell you what I am a "casual fan" and after that snorefest I'm not wasting my time watching a big fight again.

My Great grandmother was into boxing, seriously. She used to sit there and shout at the tv, "bloomin' hit each other! Thats what you're paid for!" She would have switched that off last night and called them a "pair of pansies"

And she would have had a point!
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Apollo » Sun May 03, 2015 11:36 am

We waited 5 years for that... #underwhelmed #MayPac — Mike Tyson (@MikeTyson) May 3, 2015

Its not only casuals.

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Sims » Sun May 03, 2015 1:15 pm

It was always gonna happen, it's Mayweather. You wanna watch pummelling's then watch GGG knock the shit out of everyone he faces
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Cripps » Sun May 03, 2015 1:21 pm

When was the last time Mayweather actually looked like knocking someone out let alone actually knocking someone out?

He's very good at what he does but as a out and out fighter? Not even close
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby jmiles10 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:38 pm

Amazing defensive fighter, still prefer kovalev and GGG true old fashioned fighters
jmiles10
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:45 pm

Judging by the comments in here, Mayweather's boxing style is similar to Mourinho's footballing philosophy. To both of them, the end result is all that matters
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Fran Solo » Mon May 04, 2015 6:01 am

Woke up this morning and saw the morning paper displaying two big pictures, one Mayweather, one Chelsea for their win. Obviously not a good thing to kockstart the day.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Mon May 04, 2015 6:10 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Apollo wrote:

Run
When hit or in trouble Hold

Well yes. When a boxer is in trouble they are supposed to take evasive action or tie their opponent up - unless they want to get savaged...

Mayweather does not run; he is defensive wizard capable of nullifying his opponents entire arsenal - he is one of the most cerebral fighters of all time. His defense is impenetrable and his skills unparalleled in this generation of fighters, if people can't discern his talent then that is because they don't understand the point of boxing - hit and don't get hit - or the nuances of the sport.

Have you followed Mayweather for long? He has had many exciting fights in his career (Corrales, Gatti, Augustus, etc.) and was a lot more offensive as a LW.

Unfortunately Mayweather may have done some serious damage to the prospects of boxing moving forward, a lot of first time viewers probably won't be watching boxing again #fightofthecentury

Mayweather is one of the only reasons boxing is ever mainstream news at all; he is the sports biggest draw and has helped keep it relevant for years. The guy is 38 years old, it's down to the failure of others (promoters, commissions, fighters) that someone at his age is even tasked with upholding the popularity/forging the future of the sport.

And if casual fans have been left disappointed then tough shit. Like I said before he is very old (and still managed to outclass Pacquiao with ease) and has been fighting in this vein for years, it is his trademark style.

If you are going to jump on the hype train you better know where it's going.

It's not up to him to change his style just to appease these casual fans; if people are f***ked off because they were expecting a hellacious brawl then that's their problem.

Floyd Mayweather is Floyd Mayweather - and he is one of the greatest to ever do it.

great post
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Mon May 04, 2015 6:14 am

anybody who thought this fight would be any different than it was does not know boxing or Mayweather he had a 5inch reach FFS it was never going to be exciting
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Angelito » Mon May 04, 2015 6:26 am

Oh boxing - I'll admit I was underwhelmed by the #FightOfTheCentury. Can't believe I even bothered.

kthanxbye
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 04, 2015 1:00 pm

VCC wrote:anybody who thought this fight would be any different than it was does not know boxing or Mayweather he had a 5inch reach FFS it was never going to be exciting

I think there was that small hope that it would actually be exciting and different, or that Floyd would get caught and knocked out. But yeah, a 12 round snooze fest was predicted!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing