Postby Cripps » Tue May 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Ramadan is in June/July.

I suppose it will affect his training
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Re: Mayweather Pacquiao

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Cripps wrote:Isn't floyd adamant September is his last fight?

If not then he better hope he doesn't face Khan. Mayweather running may work against other boxers but Khan is far too quick and he'll knock him the f**k out. You read it here first.

Floyd will retire in September. Pacquiao will make a comeback fight sometime in 2016. He will win and call Floyd out. Mayweather comes out of retirement one final time as he tries for the 50-0 mark. Watch this space.

It's all about drumming up as much interest as possible for the rematch and it was Floyd himself who today texted a sports journalist and said he would give Pacquaio another shot. He was never gong to stop at 49-0 level with Rocky, he will go for and break the record but he's trying to build the intrigue.

And lol @ Khan beating Mayweather. For one Khan has zero power and Floyd has never even been down in his career - him being KO'd is impossible; and Khan's glass chin is so delicate that even Mayweather would be able to stop him. A couple firm straight rights would have Khan doing his famed chicken leg dance.

Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby VCC » Wed May 06, 2015 12:04 am

StLGooner wrote:
VCC wrote:most MMA wins are by grappling nothing exciting about that IMO

Is it really most though? I get that people don't like the jujitsu part of it, it can be boring, however that is up to opinion like most things, but don't just make up stats if it ain't true.

I have participated in both and coached boxing for a long period .............................................I was cage fighting here 20 years ago when it was underground was mainly between minders doormen and members of clubs good way to make a bit of coin..................................I admit I do not watch much of it but it was then and for the most when it became mainstream mainly grappling that won majority of fights this may of changed? I don't watch it anymore I don't see much boxing either I am mearly stating what I experienced from the past.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Wed May 06, 2015 12:17 am

I also don't think the two can be properly compared as sports it would be like comparing League to Rugby union its a case of horses for courses with boxing going back to the Pac Mayweather fight I didn't pay for the fight I knew it was going to as it was and I will not pay for a re-match if their happens to be one for me boxing will never hit the highs of the ALI Fraser Norton Formen Holmes days or the almost same time of Leonard Hearns Hagler Duran they were all fighters want to watch boxing tune into those fighters.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Wed May 06, 2015 12:52 pm

VCC wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
VCC wrote:most MMA wins are by grappling nothing exciting about that IMO

Is it really most though? I get that people don't like the jujitsu part of it, it can be boring, however that is up to opinion like most things, but don't just make up stats if it ain't true.

I have participated in both and coached boxing for a long period .............................................I was cage fighting here 20 years ago when it was underground was mainly between minders doormen and members of clubs good way to make a bit of coin..................................I admit I do not watch much of it but it was then and for the most when it became mainstream mainly grappling that won majority of fights this may of changed? I don't watch it anymore I don't see much boxing either I am mearly stating what I experienced from the past.

Gotcha! And I don't know what the stats are either, but like anything else it's all down to opinion and what is more entertaining for each person. I still like boxing and respect the sport, but Floyd's style is just boring. I always respected the "brawlers" more, even though that ain't really a smart style of boxing, it is more entertaining. Boxing needs another superstar right now. It has been dead so to speak for a while now. So right now to me, MMA is more entertaining, even if most ended in submission or whatever, of course knockouts or slug fest are always better to watch, but I think one can find entertainment in a grappling match, because it's like a chess match in a way, if you understand what they're doing it makes it more enjoyable to watch.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Wed May 06, 2015 12:53 pm

VCC wrote:I also don't think the two can be properly compared as sports it would be like comparing League to Rugby union its a case of horses for courses with boxing going back to the Pac Mayweather fight I didn't pay for the fight I knew it was going to as it was and I will not pay for a re-match if their happens to be one for me boxing will never hit the highs of the ALI Fraser Norton Formen Holmes days or the almost same time of Leonard Hearns Hagler Duran they were all fighters want to watch boxing tune into those fighters.

Agree with that.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby AAIRE99 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:33 pm

Someone in work asked me today who I thought won the fight , lol. he was deadly serious too.

When I told him Floyd landed almost double if not double the amount of punches he disputed it ok.......

Some people just hate so much, Floyd has to be the most hated sportsman ive ever seen and its understandable tbh.

Best boxer I ever saw that's all I care about with regards to him.
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby AAIRE99 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:35 pm

Sims wrote:Khan can't fight in September anyway because of Ramadan

Was only saying in work, it would be beyond hilarious if Khan somehow beat Mayweather lol.

Khan is a bit of a joke outside of England and the US, personally I think hes good tbh I followed a lot of his career.

I think he poses some but not many problems to Mayweather actually, He is faster than Pacquaio for a start.
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu May 07, 2015 9:42 pm

Khan has revised his stance, says he can fight in September after all.

Easy win for Mayweather. As I said previously Khan's chin is so frail that even Floyd has a good chance of stopping him; a few sharp straights and Amir will be on queer street.

This will not be competitive, people hark on about Khan's speed but everyone knows timing negates speed and Mayweather's timing is impeccable - he's like a metronome.

Floyd is the ultimate businessman though and from that perspective this fight makes sense, he knows all the Brits will get gassed and buy the PPV which means more money for him.

Easy fight + Big PPV numbers = winning on both counts
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Sims » Thu May 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Khan's defence has got a lot better since he's started training with Virgil Hunter, but it's still not enough to stop him from getting smacked in that glass jaw. Stylistically he'd probably be one of Floyd's tougher fights, but then again it's f***ing Amir Khan.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby AAIRE99 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:53 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Khan has revised his stance, says he can fight in September after all.

Easy win for Mayweather. As I said previously Khan's chin is so frail that even Floyd has a good chance of stopping him; a few sharp straights and Amir will be on queer street.

This will not be competitive, people hark on about Khan's speed but everyone knows timing negates speed and Mayweather's timing is impeccable - he's like a metronome.

Floyd is the ultimate businessman though and from that perspective this fight makes sense, he knows all the Brits will get gassed and buy the PPV which means more money for him.

Easy fight + Big PPV numbers = winning on both counts

very solid posts from both of you there, khan has barely got a punchers chance here even with the speed although I agree Khan is one of Mayweathers toughest possible opponents, says it all really.

100% with you on the PPV I can see this being Mayweathers retirement fight.

Like I said to someone in work, I bet you any amount of money Khan honestly doesn't think he even has a chance against Floyd. Obviously he would be stupid not to push the fight regardless which he is doing.

Mayweather hits a lot harder than people realize if im not mistaken he knocked out Marquez ffs who has an Iron Chin.
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri May 08, 2015 5:35 pm

PPV sales for this fight surpassed all expectations.

Mayweather is expected to make $250 million in total.

He is the highest earning athlete of all time based on pure career earnings (not including endorsements).

$670 million in total and he still has potentially two fights left including a rematch with Pacquiao, will come very close to hitting the $1 billion mark when it's all said and done.

Living up to his moniker well.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Yorkyblue » Fri May 08, 2015 5:54 pm

Such a shame we can't get big fights over here. Imagine them at a sold out Wembley. They'd still be able to charge what prices they did this time as well and make even more ridicules amounts of money.

Really hope that rematch comes as a 50th fight.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Previous

Return to Boxing