The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:17 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:MMA boxing and boxing are very different.

A lot of the defense in boxing is predicated on the size of the gloves, you lose all of that in MMA.

Covering up, parrying, blocking, a typical guard - all that goes out the window in MMA.

It's so easy for punches that would have been blocked or deflected by boxing gloves to slip through and land in MMA - and you're going to feel a way bigger impact getting hit with 4 oz. gloves compared to the 8, 10 or 12 oz. gloves they use in boxing.

Not to mention the most fundamental aspect of all: your stance.

You can't even dream of using the side on stance used in boxing with your shoulder facing your opponent, it's simply not applicable.

In MMA you would be taken down immediately or have your legs kicked to ribbons.

MMA fighters have to be ready to check kicks and sprawl/stuff takedown attempts at all times.

Also if you watch MMA you know that the jab is insanely under utilized in the sport whereas it's literally the staple technique in boxing.

The same is true of body work, I can count on one hand the number of fighters who consistently employ and have success with going to the body in the UFC.

Exactly.

They're not similar at all, anyone who thinks that simply doesn't understand either sport.

The rules alone in comparison prove how unsimilar they are.

Lots of combat sports if not almost all of them include punches, doesn't mean they're similar to boxing.

Ridiculous assertion.

Why are people always interested in seeing MMA fighters in a boxing ring and vice versa?
You don't get the same buzz for say kickboxing or Karate vs a boxer.
People must at least SEE them as comparable in some way - more so than other sports.

I rarely follow MMA to be fair, but it seems odd that we've had sanctioned fights like Mayweather vs McGregor if the sports are nothing alike.
Didn't Mayweather actually break Marciano's record to go 50-0 by beating McGregor?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:27 pm

Because boxer and MMA fighters are popular.

The average person would'nt be able to name a single kickboxer or Muay Thai fighter.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:31 pm

@JayRam

FK me bore off.

You don't know what your talking about, just because people want to see it doesn't mean they're similar in any way bar they're combat sports and if you knew fkin anything about this subject you'd know this has happened many times before.

Ali vs Enoki, Boxers going over to K-1 lots of times.

You say people don't have an interest in seeing Karate vs Kickboxing or boxing, you bloody moron, the UFC was literally started doing that exact thing, so did K-1, K-1 is a competition which allows ALL stand up arts to take part, Karate, boxing, Taekwando, Muay Thai, the lot.

............. there's one thing listening to you drone your opinion on about football but its really hard to put up with when you chant with the same strong opinions about a subject your clearly unqualified in.

So please stop.

The UFC and boxing are the worlds biggest combat sports hence the excitement you claim, ffs we live in a time where Youtubers are boxing, is it really a surprise when Connor the biggest star in the UFC at the time wanted to take on Floyd?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:35 pm

Also being sanctioned to have a pro boxing match which your eluding to is down to nothing but your health.

If your fit and can compete there's nothing stopping you getting sanctioned to go pro.

........... plus lets not mention the fact that Connor was doing karate and boxing before he started in MMA.

See what I mean, you don't know what you're talking about, I could turn pro tomorrow if I wanted, as long as you pass a medical, your free to fight, the only thing is if you're not ready you'll lose and won't get in the rankings so it'd be pointless.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:53 pm

^ you do make me laugh DG

I was just asking a question.
I don't watch MMA.

Just interested, it seems like two guys in a ring throwing punches at each other would make the sports alike in some ways at least.
You're talking as if they are polar opposites.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:57 pm

jayramfootball wrote:I think people are going OTT a bit on how different MMA and Boxing are.
Yes, they are different, but they do share a lot too.
If they didn't we would never have seen McGregor vs Mayweather in an actual sanctioned boxing match.

Mate DG is just being precious. I proved the traits that make fighters good are the same across pugelistic sports. I proved that boxing is a FUNDAMENTAL PART of MMA and when you have 2 "stand up" fighters the fights are very similar to boxing, in regards to the footwork, the combinations, the movement.

I already explained to DG I am talking about stand up NOT the element of takedowns and submissions. I highlighted the fact that all of these elite MMA fighters have striking coaches and have had boxing coaching. So one stand up MMA fighter vs another who want a slug-fest on the feet will be more akin to boxing than anything else.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:02 pm

jayramfootball wrote:^ you do make me laugh DG

I don't watch MMA.

Just interested, it seems like two guys in a ring throwing punches at each other would make the sports alike in some ways at least.
If you don't watch mma, in two weeks time Chimaev is fighting. Still early on in his career, might be fun to watch his career develop. I'm relatively new to watching ufc (was always more into boxing) the first fighter I followed from that stage was Adesanya and he got me hooked.

I remember following boxers like nazeem hamed and ricky hatton from similar stages of their careers and so i'm trying to get into ufc in the same way.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:36 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:I think people are going OTT a bit on how different MMA and Boxing are.
If they didn't we would never have seen McGregor vs Mayweather in an actual sanctioned boxing match.

Mate DG is just being precious. I proved the traits that make fighters good are the same across pugelistic sports. I proved that boxing is a FUNDAMENTAL PART of MMA and when you have 2 "stand up" fighters the fights are very similar to boxing, in regards to the footwork, the combinations, the movement.

I already explained to DG I am talking about stand up NOT the element of takedowns and submissions. I highlighted the fact that all of these elite MMA fighters have striking coaches and have had boxing coaching. So one stand up MMA fighter vs another who want a slug-fest on the feet will be more akin to boxing than anything else.

................ I'm still waiting for that footage of a UFC fight where for just one round no leg kicks, knees, elbows or wrestling occurs?

STILL WAITING.

Also VaVa did a whole post on why punching in MMA is different to actual boxing but you've chosen to ignore that as well.

PS - Kickboxing and Grappling are more fundamental to MMA than boxing on its own.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:41 pm

I don't watch MMA.

Are Rugby and Football alike?

Both sports you can kick the ball.

That's how stupid the comparison is.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:09 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

I don't watch MMA.

Watching Tony Pulis sides I would say so.
:)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:30 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

................ I'm still waiting for that footage of a UFC fight where for just one round no leg kicks, knees, elbows or wrestling occurs?

STILL WAITING.

Also VaVa did a whole post on why punching in MMA is different to actual boxing but you've chosen to ignore that as well.

PS - Kickboxing and Grappling are more fundamental to MMA than boxing on its own.

Still hanging on to moot points I see DG. Pointless discussion if you are incapable of actually following what people are saying.

Read my lips - I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT GRAPPLING OR KICKING. And I most certainly don't need to find any videos for you to back up my argument. If you watch as much MMA as you claim to you would know what I said with regard to the heavyweights and the vast majority top fighters at the weight being strikers is totally correct. All you are doing is confirming you are incapable of conceding in an argument. I'm not going to pander to your whims.

I said boxing is similar to MMA, I never aid it was the same, I qualified my comment by stipulating I was talking about strikers versus strikers, those fights are not entirely dissimilar to a boxing match, I said the top MMA fighters know how to box and they employ those skills at least in the beginning of the fight because the fight is on its feet at that point.

An article on some of the best boxers in MMA, whats interesting is pretty much all of them are stand up fighters, they don't go for takedowns usually
https://medium.com/martial-arts-unleashed/best-boxers-in-mma-top-10-4fa2cfe10107

Still don't get it ? Listen to Nick Diaz, a previous amateur boxer explain the importance of proper boxing in MMA and the fact that he adopts the traditional boxing stance and doesn't care if his lead leg gets kicked:

So. like I said, boxing and MMA when it comes to stand up striking are similar.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

I don't watch MMA.

In some aspects yes and not just at a high level. I gave you a specific example, striking a dead ball, free kicks in football and conversions in rugby. The technique for striking the ball to make it have a particular flight/trajectory is very similar, hence why Johnny Wilkinson picked up the dead ball free kick technique so quickly and was so accomplished at it. If you are unable to pick out key competencies that are the same across sports then, I don't know what to tell you bloke.

It follows, if you are standing up striking in MMA, you will use your boxing skills, as Nick Diaz says, you should throw your punches properly, if you are going to throw punches properly your footwork and body movement need to be correct, the fundamentals of boxing. So tell me again how Boxing is NOTHING like MMA again .......
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:02 pm

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

STILL WAITING.

Still hanging on to moot points I see DG. Pointless discussion if you are incapable of actually following what people are saying.

Read my lips - I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT GRAPPLING OR KICKING. And I most certainly don't need to find any videos for you to back up my argument. If you watch as much MMA as you claim to you would know what I said with regard to the heavyweights and the vast majority top fighters at the weight being strikers is totally correct. All you are doing is confirming you are incapable of conceding in an argument. I'm not going to pander to your whims.

I said boxing is similar to MMA, I never aid it was the same, I qualified my comment by stipulating I was talking about strikers versus strikers, those fights are not entirely dissimilar to a boxing match, I said the top MMA fighters know how to box and they employ those skills at least in the beginning of the fight because the fight is on its feet at that point.

An article on some of the best boxers in MMA, whats interesting is pretty much all of them are stand up fighters, they don't go for takedowns usually
https://medium.com/martial-arts-unleashed/best-boxers-in-mma-top-10-4fa2cfe10107

Still don't get it ? Listen to Nick Diaz, a previous amateur boxer explain the importance of proper boxing in MMA and the fact that he adopts the traditional boxing stance and doesn't care if his lead leg gets kicked:

So. like I said, boxing and MMA when it comes to stand up striking are similar.

Ahh the Diaz brothers. I get what you mean HH.

Not sure why the debate has gone on so long. It's called mixed martial arts for a reason. MMA fighters will learn boxing techniques if their main focus is striking. It's not exclusive to boxing but that's MMA in the nutshell. Of course they can't just focus on boxing because you have kicks, wresting/grapples and the whole ground game element.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:00 pm

In MMA even in matches where they mainly stand up its more similar to kick boxing than just boxing.

So again HH you're wrong.

You are attempting to isolate punching only in a sport where knee's, elbows, kicks are all allowed.

You might as well be saying boxing is similar to Muay Thai or any combat martial art where punching is allowed.

Its a stupid point because to the naked eye they may look the same but as I and VaVa has tried to tell you, its not.

Which is why MMA fighters do so poorly against boxers in boxing.

I do love the way you keep wasting your time showing MMA fighters having boxing sessions like i said they don't or something, its hilarious.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:09 pm

the fcat that you respond to jayram at all... smh... yall should know better...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing