The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:45 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Someone on Reddit summed it up best: "My expectations were low, but I'm still disappointed".

Absolute embarrassment for the sport.

I streamed it for free and I still want a refund.

The public need to start catching on, anytime its an "exhibition" they need to stop thinking or letting themselves get tricked into thinking it could be good.

Exhibition from career pro's like this is code word for "Nothings going to happen, its just a sparring match".
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:57 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Someone on Reddit summed it up best: "My expectations were low, but I'm still disappointed".

The public need to start catching on, anytime its an "exhibition" they need to stop thinking or letting themselves get tricked into thinking it could be good.

Exhibition from career pro's like this is code word for "Nothings going to happen, its just a sparring match".

How would making it a pro fight make a difference? It would be the same fight except Floyd would get his hand raised at the end. It's not like Floyd let him survive because it's an exhibition. He tried to get the stoppage but he couldn't break him because he's too cautious.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:14 am

Floyd rep ruined
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:53 pm

Floyd doesn’t care. He came to make easy money. They'll keep this cash cow farce going. The day one of these YouTube acts gets a proper beating from a professional is the day this circus ends. Floyd came to get a check. Same as the McGregor fight. He's not serious about boxing anymore.

I hear Logan Paul is now calling put Canelo. Lol
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Paddy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:55 pm

when someone ends up in a coma they'll stop these silly things.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:34 pm

They'll keep it going. It will lose it's appeal if someone gets really hurt but they won't stop it.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:09 pm

Ali took on wrestlers etc

This is not a new thing
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:20 pm

Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

How would making it a pro fight make a difference? It would be the same fight except Floyd would get his hand raised at the end. It's not like Floyd let him survive because it's an exhibition. He tried to get the stoppage but he couldn't break him because he's too cautious.

If you think that its because you've never boxed before.

A pro fight is auomatically more competitive, its on your official record, the refs encourage action, the whole point of a pro match is its an official sanctioned fight.

Exhibitions are arranged soft matches, your not even supposed to go hard in an exhibition.

............. did Floyd not end McGreggor?

The intensity would of been more and tbf, the fight wouldn't of been allowed to happen at this sort of weight difference.
Last edited by DiamondGooner on Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:25 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Floyd doesn’t care. He came to make easy money. They'll keep this cash cow farce going. The day one of these YouTube acts gets a proper beating from a professional is the day this circus ends. Floyd came to get a check. Same as the McGregor fight. He's not serious about boxing anymore.

I hear Logan Paul is now calling put Canelo. Lol

Its fkin embarrassing.

Logan is calling out men half his size because he wants to be able to use his size to stay alive.

Canelo wouldn't even be able to fight him, the sanctioning bodies would never allow it and Eddie wouldn't let him do it in an exhibition, I don't even think Canelo would do it full stop.

Canelo is a proper professional, not a jerk off.

Also how is Logan even showing his face by running around calling out guys 3-4 weight divisions below him, guys who are even small for their own lighter weight class??

Guys going to be boasting how he survived 8 rounds with Floyd, Mayweather is turning himself into a joke, Logan has that on his now forever.

Put Logan in with Arsen Goulamirian a fellow Crusier weight and see how he fares, Arsen would crush him in 1 single round guaranteed.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:54 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:It's only an 8 round fight.

.............. jesus christ.

Its going the full length.

You heard it here first.

Anyone care to make predictions?

................. ahem!!

He's done it again by the way. :frogwink:
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:48 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

A pro fight is auomatically more competitive, its on your official record, the refs encourage action, the whole point of a pro match is its an official sanctioned fight.

Exhibitions are arranged soft matches, your not even supposed to go hard in an exhibition.

The intensity would of been more and tbf, the fight wouldn't of been allowed to happen at this sort of weight difference.

Oh, right, he stopped McGregor. Remind me again, in what round did he stop him? Like I said, he ran out of time.

I've definitely never boxed, especially not professionally (along with 99,99999% of people on planet earth), but I've watched countless cards over the last few years and I don't recall seeing a ref encourage action once. I've seen it in the UFC, but in boxing? Genuinely can't recall one instance of it. Not saying it never happens, but It's definitely not a common occurrence.

And It's not like this is new to Floyd. He's always been a cautious fighter. If anything, his record being on the line would make it so he's even more reluctant to be sitting in the pocket with a 6' 2", 200lbs + guy.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:59 pm

Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Oh, right, he stopped McGregor. Remind me again, in what round did he stop him? Like I said, he ran out of time.

I've definitely never boxed, especially not professionally (along with 99,99999% of people on planet earth), but I've watched countless cards over the last few years and I don't recall seeing a ref encourage action once. I've seen it in the UFC, but in boxing? Genuinely can't recall one instance of it. Not saying it never happens, but It's definitely not a common occurrence.

And It's not like this is new to Floyd. He's always been a cautious fighter. If anything, his record being on the line would make it so he's even more reluctant to be sitting in the pocket with a 6' 2", 200lbs + guy.

What do you mean ran out of time??

McGregor was TKO'd in the 10th round?

Your argument is completely messed up, your stating Floyd is cautious, which yes, traditionally in his pro fights against top tier competition he is, but your untrained eye is obviously not seeing the difference.

Mayweather has been walking down these guys, McGregor, Logan, literally walking them down like a Mexican fighter, getting on the inside to brawl.

He's not standing off holding his Philly shell and only countering.

Floyds never boxed this way in his life, the guy has gone from a counter fighter to a pressure fighter.

Fact is your your just talking, a professional fight is what it is, its more competitive, take more seriously, would it of changed the outcome ............ your talking to the guy who predicted it would be on points.

But that doesn't change the fact that a pro fight is more serious, more intense all round.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:35 pm

Floyd was putting the pressure on but missing shots and Logan was clinching a lot. Ref in a professional fight with have warned and taken points off if necessary. That's what DG means about a professional fight. Also, think Mayweather would have trained harder and taken it seriously if record was on the line plus there would have been more rounds. He wasn't sharp enough to land the punches. Underestimated Logan's defence and he's not a pressure fighter at all.

Floyd only has himself to blame. There is no way Paul should have been able to raise his hands and taunt Mayweather in the dying seconds of the final round. Difficult to knockout a much bigger opponent but that kid should have been left hurting after 8 rounds. Put a Shane Mosley, Cotto, Pacquiao in there and I'd bet Logan is eating way more punches. If a flurry to the head doesn't overwhelm him and force a stoppage I'm consistent, hurtful body punches would have sat him down.

Anyway, the money train keeps rolling. Some potential better match ups out there. A chance for retired fighters to make some change.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Jedi » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:30 am

DiamondGooner wrote:What do you mean ran out of time??

McGregor was TKO'd in the 10th round?

Exactly and the fight with Logan was 8 rounds. So if Mayweather vs McGregor was 8 rounds he wouldn't have gotten the stoppage either. He ran out of time vs Logan.

Your argument is completely messed up, your stating Floyd is cautious, which yes, traditionally in his pro fights against top tier competition he is, but your untrained eye is obviously not seeing the difference.

Mayweather has been walking down these guys, McGregor, Logan, literally walking them down like a Mexican fighter, getting on the inside to brawl.

He's not standing off holding his Philly shell and only countering.

Floyds never boxed this way in his life, the guy has gone from a counter fighter to a pressure fighter.

Mayweather started both fights counter-punching, then started walking them down LATER, but it was still done cautiously, without truly letting his hands go and risking getting hit on the counter. So while he did change his style in his last two fights, this guy still naturally isn't a 'seek and destroy' type of fighter and applying pressure isn't his game.

Also "Mexican style" lol. He landed 5 punches per round and his opponent had 13% punches connect.

I know boxing is your thing but there's no need to be condescending. I don't need to be a boxing expert to see the difference between a guy walking backwards vs walking someone down Peek-a-boo style.

Power n Glory wrote:Floyd was putting the pressure on but missing shots and Logan was clinching a lot. Ref in a professional fight with have warned and taken points off if necessary. That's what DG means about a professional fight. Also, think Mayweather would have trained harder and taken it seriously if record was on the line plus there would have been more rounds. He wasn't sharp enough to land the punches. Underestimated Logan's defence and he's not a pressure fighter at all.

1) Ref in a professional fight would've done nothing. Have you seen Lawrence Okolie fights or even Haney vs Linares last week? Much more excessive holding and refs didn't do anything about it.
2) There wouldn't be more rounds because Logan doesn't have the fitness to do 12. Plus plenty of pro fights are scheduled for like 4 rounds only anyway.
3) Floyd wasn't sharp enough to land punches because he's 44 years old. The guy is past it. Pro fight or not he was still fighting a YouTuber and I refuse to believe he would've taken it any more seriously.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:25 am

1) Ref in a professional fight would've done nothing. Have you seen Lawrence Okolie fights or even Haney vs Linares last week? Much more excessive holding and refs didn't do anything about it.
2) There wouldn't be more rounds because Logan doesn't have the fitness to do 12. Plus plenty of pro fights are scheduled for like 4 rounds only anyway.
3) Floyd wasn't sharp enough to land punches because he's 44 years old. The guy is past it. Pro fight or not he was still fighting a YouTuber and I refuse to believe he would've taken it any more seriously.

1. It deemed on the ref you get and whose fighting. Seen enough fights where the fighter gets warned if he's going in to clinch everytime.

2. I don't think the amount of rounds is determined by who can go the distance. Conor McGregor was scheduled for a 12 round bout against Mayweather despite never boxing that many rounds and looking gassed after 3 rounds in MMA. If this were a competitive fight it sure as hell wouldn't be 4 rounds.

Also, if it were competitive, Logan would have to starve himself to make the weight. No way this sort of fight gets made with such a massive weight difference.

3. Floyd is 44 years old and past his prime. But add to the equation that he didn’t train properly, it means he's much worse. If you watch boxing you should know how important it is to train properly.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing