The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:40 pm

Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:Foreman fought like a big guy because he was the big guy back then but in this era he is the same height and weight as Usyk, aka a small man so he would get battered unless he changed up his style completely, but if we're going that way we're so far removed from reality that It's completely pointless to talk about.

It's the same shit as every other sport, people looking at the old times with rose-tinted glasses and thinking the new guys aren't as good when in reality It's often the old guys who would struggle.

Nit picking but ..........

He's taller than Usyk by around 1" and he's on average between 16st-17st in his prime, got heavier as he got older.

Usyk was fighting at 14.4st professionally and he's walking around at no more than 15.11 at HW, in fact he's bulked up to that, his first fight at HW with no weight cut he walked into the ring at 15.5st.

Height wise Usyk is listed as 6'3, he isn't, Tony Bellew is also listed as 6'3 and Usyk is shorter in their head to heads.

Bellew I'd say is 6'2 1/2 to 6'3 .......... I have a picture of me with Bellew side by side.

Just going by what Boxrec says Usyk was 221 lbs for the Joshua fight while Foreman was 217½ lbs for the first Frazier fight and 220 lbs for the Ali fight :dontknow:

Granted, Usyk is bulking up and that is Foreman's natural weight but still, not a big heavyweight.

George Foreman was 25 years old vs Ali and weighed what Usyk did at 34 years old vs AJ, that's a big 25 year old to be that lean and still that heavy.

When Foreman came back at 38 years of age he was 17.09st granted he may of kept more off if he hadn't walked away for so many years however ......... this was still his weight after a full training camp for a pro fight and he stayed around this weight throughout his come back.

But yeah as you said, his height alone at 6'3 is small compared to the 6'6+ we have today.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:43 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:I actually think 90s Foreman would be a tougher fight for Wilder than 70s Foreman.

He was less reckless and more methodical.

In the 70s he would often just wing super sloppy haymakers.

I did actually think of that.

90's Foreman employed that Archie Moore Lock guard (Cross arm guard), I think he could possible walk down Wilder using that, although I'd still prefer him to have the agility and stamina of younger Foreman.

If you could mix the two then yes I think Wilder gets dealt with.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:51 pm

Now for another question: Who is pound for pound no.1 at the moment?

Fury, Usyk or Canelo?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby VCC » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:52 pm

90s foreman pawed fighters to gain range for his good left right combo
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Now for another question: Who is pound for pound no.1 at the moment?

Fury, Usyk or Canelo?

Usyk's collecting belts all over the show, he's beating guys bigger than him and has been a masterful boxer.

Canelo arguably lost the first fight to GGG although I agree he took the rematch and he lost to Floyd, Usyk's contempory as the best immaculate records in boxing.
Although Canelo is sublime as well and has moved around three different weights.

Fury, well bit difficult to give a HW the P4P crown although his heroics of keep getting up from absolute bombs and never quitting rises his level.

........... its a toss up, I'd argue Usyk has been the most dominant.

For example, Fury vs Deontay Wilder is the top 2 in the division, both killers yet has had risky moments in the 1st and 3rd to where he could of been stopped.

Usyks version is the CW eliminator final against Gassiev, a lot of people here don't know who he is because CW doesn't get the shine, but Gassiev was undefeated and hard as fk.
Usyk toyed with him his closest rival and handled Bellew the former champ.

Put is this way when Usyk went against Gassiev I favoured Gassiev, that's how tough G is, however ever since that fight Usyk has wowed me with his heart, stamina and technical spartan brilliance on every occassion, the mans a master.

As for who takes it there are arguements all round but again ......... only one has a bullet proof record and that's Usyk, plus he's got more belts than a Gucci shop.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:12 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Now for another question: Who is pound for pound no.1 at the moment?

Fury, Usyk or Canelo?

But on a more serious note, It's Usyk because Canelo never beat GGG.

Fury can't be up there because he's only fought one elite guy since 2016.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Phil71 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:54 pm

Fury, Usyk or Canelo?

Canelo for me.

4 weight world champion and still lining up tough fights. The best Mexican fighter of all time imo.

But...if Fury beats Usyk and Joshua he trumps him.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Rockape » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:13 am

I'm 60 and have watched all these fighters over the years and for me there is one that is a clear No.1.

Mike Tyson

At his best, he literally blew people away. Fury would not have lasted a round against him....okay, maybe a couple.

(he just wasn't at his best for very long)
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jedi » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:51 am

Mike Tyson doesn't have a single elite fighter in his prime on his record. We can all scream that the 80s version would beat Holyfield and Lennox until we're blue in the face but the reality is he lost to the better men at the time and that's his legacy. Can't be top 5.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:01 am

Fury, Usyk or Canelo?

Usyk

Fury lmao

Canelo who?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:16 am

Rockape wrote:I'm 60 and have watched all these fighters over the years and for me there is one that is a clear No.1.

Mike Tyson

At his best, he literally blew people away. Fury would not have lasted a round against him....okay, maybe a couple.

(he just wasn't at his best for very long)

Over Ali as well?

Tyson in his prime looked invincible. Ridiculous power, speed and skill.

Ali was before my time but just watching the fight footage, knowing his story....bloody ridiculous. Just recently watched a doc on Sonny Liston and his story is also amazing. Ali fought some absolute beasts and won.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:18 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Fury was badly hurt on the first KD.

The second KD was more a balance issue stemming from the first KD but he did look concerned during the 10 count.

For a second I thought he wasn't going to get up.

Badly hurt how ? He looked totally fine, his eyes looked fine, he wasn't even slightly wobbly.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:32 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Tyson Fury is the best HW of all time.

Foreman is fine to compete and is up there but Wilder has a great chance of beating him, AJ ..... mehh after his mental meltdowns against Usyk and Ruiz, no, Foreman would beat the sh*t out of him.

I'd put Lennox Lewis, Tyson Fury and possibly Wilder above Foreman, the Wilder one is a toss up although I just don't fancy Foreman to be carrying his power punching up at a more mobile fighter with similar KO power.

Frazier would do fk all today and I love Frazier but he suffered the most when real HW's started showing up on the scene ala Foreman.

Thing is your basically pitting bar Foreman and Holmes, a bunch of Cruiser Weights vs the giants of today, that's your fault.

Frazier was a tremendous fighter, but if your putting a 5'9 CW against 6'7 HW's of today, its you who's doing him the disservice.

Usyk vs Frazier .......... Usyk boxes his head off, easily.

You have to be shitting me DG ? He's not even the best British Heavyweight of all time, let alone the best HW of all time. And I am a Fury cheerleader !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:36 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Wilder above Foreman?

His best win is Ortiz ffs.

I think DG has been smoking the hard stuff ......

He is placing to much value on Fury beating Wilder 3 times, FFS, Wilder isn't even good and his so-called punch power - meh. Fighting a load of bums padding out his record doesn't make him a hard hitter or great. Fury has boxing skill but there is not a hope in hell that Fury could stand up to heavy weight greats like Foreman, Ali, Tyson and Lewis. He wouldn't beat Frank Bruno because Fury's knockdown power isn't up there.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:38 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
VCC wrote:Angelo Dundee noted this about Foreman before the fight with Frazier for the title: "He's got a jab like I've never seen on a heavyweight since Sonny Liston. He has a strong left hand. I mean strong. He can stop a man in his tracks."

Best jabs in HW history are Louis, Holmes, Liston, Lewis, Klitschkos and Ali imo.

Not in any order, mind. That's just off the top of my head.

From what I saw in no order Holmes then Ali, not seen enough old fights to comment on Liston and Louis.

Holmes for me had THE best jab in boxing history.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing