The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby BS221B » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Rockape wrote:Everyone saying Wilder just has to turn up to beat AJ.....well whilst I agree that Wilder is a terrifying fighter, due to that face splitting right hand, he does struggle to hit the target with it. He certainly didn't get close to Fury, it was a left that clipped him, so there's every chance that AJ could do what he did to Ruiz and win that way. Doesn't have to be a big battle.

Thats impossible. Wilder is not only bigger than AJ but he also got wingspan advantage. There isnt a single scenerio where AJ beats him.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:06 pm

BS221B wrote:
Rockape wrote:Everyone saying Wilder just has to turn up to beat AJ.....well whilst I agree that Wilder is a terrifying fighter, due to that face splitting right hand, he does struggle to hit the target with it. He certainly didn't get close to Fury, it was a left that clipped him, so there's every chance that AJ could do what he did to Ruiz and win that way. Doesn't have to be a big battle.

Thats impossible. Wilder is not only bigger than AJ but he also got wingspan advantage. There isnt a single scenerio where AJ beats him.

Almost exactly the same height

Almost exactly the same reach

Joshua's reported weight is heavier
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby BS221B » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:20 pm

UFGN wrote:
BS221B wrote:

Aj's reach: 82″ / 208cm

Wilder's reach: 83″ / 211cm
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:26 pm

BS221B wrote:
UFGN wrote:
BS221B wrote:

Aj's reach: 82″ / 208cm

Wilder's reach: 83″ / 211cm

Or.... almost exactly the same
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Jedi » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:32 pm

BS221B wrote:

He had wingspan advantage vs Ortiz yet was losing every round until he caught him. Is Ortiz a better boxer than Olympic Gold medalist Joshua? FFS, even Szpilka was outboxing Wilder. The issue Wilder has with Joshua is that Joshua isn't just going to outbox him early, Joshua will land BOMBS and Wilder will need to survive that to even get to land his own right hand.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Holdini » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:05 pm

AJ would have to dodge and move all night like he did vs ruiz, but if fury, the most agile and slickest heavyweight in the world couldn't avoid wilders power punch for 12 rounds, i highly doubt AJ will.
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Jedi wrote:
BS221B wrote:

He had wingspan advantage vs Ortiz yet was losing every round until he caught him. Is Ortiz a better boxer than Olympic Gold medalist Joshua? FFS, even Szpilka was outboxing Wilder. The issue Wilder has with Joshua is that Joshua isn't just going to outbox him early, Joshua will land BOMBS and Wilder will need to survive that to even get to land his own right hand.

What makes you say Joshua will land bombs?

I didn't see him land any against Ruiz when he chose to box and be on his toes for 12 rounds and if that's his strategy against Ruiz he will be even more cautious against Wilder.

Wilder is taller, longer and has Thanos power.

Joshua will be on his bicycle from the get go, you really think he'll trade with Wilder?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:15 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Bore off, there is less than a handful of posters I ever argue with.

But tell us all again how AJ Heavyweight Champion of the WBO / WBA / IBF / IBO is a .........pussy?

Joker.

WBO, IBF, IBO - all jokes.
WBA and WBC are the only belts worth having, but the WBC belt is the most prestigious.

You mean the corrupt WBC who won't let Whyte fight Wilder even though he's ranked no1 because Al Haymon is worried about an upset?

As the great James Toney said: WBC stands for We Be Crooks.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:26 pm

The various federations do the sport no favours with their mandatory defence shit. Dont they realise that everyone is thoroughly sick of their shit?

Allow belt holders to nominate another boxer to fight in their place, with the condition that there must be a contract in place for the (now former) belt holder to fight the nominee afterwards. The result would be to make it easier to arrange unification fights that everyone actually wants to see

UFGN

Postby Jedi » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
What makes you say Joshua will land bombs?

I didn't see him land any against Ruiz when he chose to box and be on his toes for 12 rounds and if that's his strategy against Ruiz he will be even more cautious against Wilder.

Wilder is taller, longer and has Thanos power.

Joshua will be on his bicycle from the get go, you really think he'll trade with Wilder?

I don't think Ruiz and Wilder are comparable at all.

Ruiz is a mexican style front foot counter puncher with a granite chin who excels at fighting on the inside and exploding with combinations but has slow feet and can't fight long range. Of course outboxing him is the way to go.

Wilder, tries to minimize the amount he gets hit. There are very few fights where I've seen him walk forward and take shots on the gloves to get his own shots in. For example, watch his Ortiz, Stiverne, Arreola, Szpilka, or even Duhaupas fight. He likes to stay at long range and wait for the opportunity to land his right hand.

I don't think Joshua should give him that opportunity. I think Joshua is more skilled as a fighter, i think he's at least a class better on the inside, and i don't think Wilder's faced anyone with the offensive toolset and power Joshua has.

And after all, if even Fury couldn't do it, why would Joshua think he's the one to avoid that right hand for 12 rounds.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:14 pm

So you think Joshua will be aggressive and look for a firefight against Wilder?

Think you're way off the mark and I'm surprised you think that's the route he should or will go. Outboxing Wilder is the only way to go.

Thinking Joshua will be more wary of Ruiz than Wilder seems like fantasy to me.
Last edited by Va-Va-Voom on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:26 pm

He can't be serious can he?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Rockape » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:48 pm

Probably, but was caught up in the moment I imagine. Come the time he’ll have been put back firmly in his defensive box by his team.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby BS221B » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:36 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:

I bet Hearn planned it beforehand. It looks like AJ is going for the title defend against Usyk, then fight again Ruiz Jr. again. He will be able to dodge Wilder and Fury for another year that way. Hearn is such a fox.

Look at this, the hype job is unreal. One would think that AJ is the top 5 boxer in history. The day he fight against Fury or Wilder cant come soon enough.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Jedi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:37 am

BS221B wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

I bet Hearn planned it beforehand. It looks like AJ is going for the title defend against Usyk, then fight again Ruiz Jr. again. He will be able to dodge Wilder and Fury for another year that way. Hearn is such a fox.

Joshua isn't Wilder, he's not going to recycle the guy he just beat. I'll bet you anything there won't be a Ruiz rematch in the next 3 years.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing