The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:05 am

Losmeister wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:I think they are the two best, i think AJ is to chinny for Wilder and Fury just outboxes him

That's a very popular opinion right now that i don't share in the slightest. Wilder is a disaster waiting to happen. In many ways, Fury is the perfect matchup for him because he doesn't hold a lot of firepower. I could easily see Joshua or even someone like a Michael Hunter knocking out Wilder.

Fury = Best boxer

Wilder = Best puncher

Joshua = Best of combined (Better boxer than wilder, hits harder than Fury)

Take your pick, game plan, preparation, mental strength and aggression ......... these can be affected fight to fight.

for a sec I thought you siad better boxer than Fury... thats what you get for tryna quick-scan multiple posts!

Not really possible, even with that hit and move stuff AJ did against Ruiz which was more tentative running rather than fluent hit and move.

The best 3 HW boxers I've seen are Muhammed Ali, Tyson Fury and Larry Holmes.

Lennox Lewis is in with a shout but he doesn't have the techincal level of the above 3 imo, I suppose I need to throw Wladimir in there as well but again, I think the 3 reign as the best, in fact Fury done us a favor and proved that one outright against Wlad, no questions to be asked, Wlad got his head boxed off.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:22 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Losmeister wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:I think they are the two best, i think AJ is to chinny for Wilder and Fury just outboxes him

That's a very popular opinion right now that i don't share in the slightest. Wilder is a disaster waiting to happen. In many ways, Fury is the perfect matchup for him because he doesn't hold a lot of firepower. I could easily see Joshua or even someone like a Michael Hunter knocking out Wilder.

Fury = Best boxer

Wilder = Best puncher

Joshua = Best of combined (Better boxer than wilder, hits harder than Fury)

Take your pick, game plan, preparation, mental strength and aggression ......... these can be affected fight to fight.

for a sec I thought you siad better boxer than Fury... thats what you get for tryna quick-scan multiple posts!

Not really possible, even with that hit and move stuff AJ did against Ruiz which was more tentative running rather than fluent hit and move.

The best 3 HW boxers I've seen are Muhammed Ali, Tyson Fury and Larry Holmes.

Lennox Lewis is in with a shout but he doesn't have the techincal level of the above 3 imo, I suppose I need to throw Wladimir in there as well but again, I think the 3 reign as the best, in fact Fury done us a favor and proved that one outright against Wlad, no questions to be asked, Wlad got his head boxed off.

yup. holmes gets overlooked. so quality.

i remember watchinthe fur/wlad replay when i didnt know wtf fury was cos i was so bored with wlad and his crap opponents.

and i was all wtf!!?? cos fury's handspeed floored me.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jedi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:32 pm

Losmeister wrote:am rooting for Fury as I thought he won the 1st bout.

If he REALLY is in better shape and whatnot... will he REALLY try to KO Wilder?

He certainly punched him in teh face weay more times last time... if his power is at all improved can he do it?

I don't think he can knock him out clean out but he could get a technical knockout if he manages to hurt Wilder.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Jedi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:17 pm

Fury weighed in at 19st 7lbs (273lbs)... That's insanity if you ask me. Sugar Hill saying it's fine for him to be at that weight because he's 6' 9" but that's bullshit. Fury is about as tall as Wilder which is 6' 7" and he's definitely shorter than David Price who is 6' 8".
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:20 pm

Maybe he will try and maul him. take his power away by leaning on him and punching him to the arms and body
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Jedi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Maybe he will try and maul him. take his power away by leaning on him and punching him to the arms and body

Maybe he will pick moments to do that but i don't expect him to try and do that from round 1 because he'll get knocked out.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Jedi wrote:Fury weighed in at 19st 7lbs (273lbs)... That's insanity if you ask me. Sugar Hill saying it's fine for him to be at that weight because he's 6' 9" but that's bullshit. Fury is about as tall as Wilder which is 6' 7" and he's definitely shorter than David Price who is 6' 8".

Fury was 18.4st in their last fight.

Yeah, seems silly to me to make yourself a bigger, slower target, especially as Fury hits and moves.

Could be a big factor.

........... then again have you seen Wilders weight, he was 212 lbs last time, now he's 231 lbs
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:59 pm

Yeah it kind of plays into Fury's hands. If i was his trainer i would keep Wilder at 220 max and just go for speed. He already has all the power in the world at 212 lbs so he stands to gain nothing at the cost of the speed/endurance loss.

How i think the fight will go:
Despite the the extra weight and the "2nd round knockout" nonsense, Fury will come out boxing exactly like he did in the first fight. Perhaps slightly more aggressive when Wilder is caught off balance and not in a position to launch his right hand. I don't think he will try to walk down Wilder as he's too cumbersome to walk forward and he knows it. He will probably try to lean more on Wilder and rough him up in latter rounds (8+ maybe).

Wilder will come out trying to be more disciplined than he was in the first fight. He will try to use his jab and target the scar tissue while also looking to set up his jab into right hand combo. Less wild swings, at least early, before he starts worrying about the time left.

Winner:
If cut opens early: Wilder KO

If it stays closed: Fury points or much less likely TKO
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Losmeister » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:05 pm

Fury has stated his aim is to go for the KO.

Weight aside...Jedi, it's weird you arguing his height. Well established at 6'9" google "Fury" tale of the tape and see he is listed as 6'9" vs everyone...
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jedi » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:23 pm

Losmeister wrote:Fury has stated his aim is to go for the KO.

As he did before every single fight in his career.

Losmeister wrote:Weight aside...Jedi, it's weird you arguing his height. Well established at 6'9" google "Fury" tale of the tape and see he is listed as 6'9" vs everyone...

Standing next to Wilder who is 6' 7"

Standing next to Price who is 6' 8"

Doesn't look 6' 9" to me :dontknow:
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Losmeister » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:50 pm

seriously...
ya think i cant paste photos where he is taller than others

why is he listed as 6'9" IN EVERY SINGLE PROFESSIONAL FIGHT?

i dont think they measured him incorrectly...

and as far as him stating he'll go for KO, seems that he's adopted hard to avoid his right for 12 rnds, but, just repeating what he said...

and also, fight could just be stopped TKO if the cut thing happens...
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Losmeister » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:59 pm

anyway, height aside... "styles make fights"

very odd juncture in HW boxing history, imo
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby dc16 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Fury looks f***ing huge...

His arms look bigger than Wilders and I know there was some pic showing him with a big gut but to me he looks in good shape.

The only concern is that he knows Wilder can knock him down.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jedi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:36 am

From what I've seen Fury looks fat. I don't like this weight for him one bit. He's getting sparked.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing