The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Looks like Joshua is going to opt for Miller.

Run of the mill fight but he has few other options, this is just an American PR exercise and double pay day for Hearn and Dazn.

Saying that though Whyte is playing hard ball (when really he's not in any position to), Wilder has actively avoided and shunned Joshua preferring a Fury rematch.

Fury apparently was actively discussing it but again has opted for Wilder.

Its a shame Wilder isn't up for it, I think Wilder is using his ego > his brain, if he loses to Fury he can kiss his wish of a unified belt fight goodbye, if I were his manager I'd of told him to fight Joshua then fight Fury, imagine how big a Fury rematch would of been if Wilder was the unified belt holder?

The scenes when Fury up ends Wilder and is in his spot vs Joshua at wembley for all the belts while Wilder is forced to watch it at home hating, the biggest troll move in boxing history?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Disappointing, looks like this is the fight they really wanted, Whyte will be sorted with a easier opponent where he still gets paid nicely , win win for all involved ATM, that fight is still there.

Would like to have seen it though.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Phil71 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:45 pm

Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:17 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Disappointing, looks like this is the fight they really wanted, Whyte will be sorted with a easier opponent where he still gets paid nicely , win win for all involved ATM, that fight is still there.

Would like to have seen it though.

They wanted Wilder.

I'm not sure how they could of made that any clearer, they increased the offer and everything but Wilder is on this hype train of "I'm going to show Joshua I don't need him" because he has Fury.

Thing is if he loses to Fury he's fked which would serve him right, he acts on impulse instead of a business brain.

Fury could very well of just come off the couch and stolen Wilder's career.

If Fury is the one facing Joshua for all the belts in front of millions, getting paid swag then Wilder will just be the biggest dunce in HW history, he's swapped 1 big fight for what would of been two mega fights ......... and gifted that to Fury.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:51 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:If he fights miller over Whyte it's a duck no excuses I can't see it though

Lol, called it.

Vava knows.

I'm not even that mad at the match up tbh, though it is the biggest mismatch Joshua will have had since he's been champion though but oh well.

At least I get to see Miller get sparked out, can't stand the prick.

I just don't like how Joshua wasn't willing to fight Wilder in the states but he'll fight Miller no problem.

And as for Wilder potentially losing his chance to unify against AJ if he loses to Fury, well by rights he should already have lost his belts and the chance to unify.

Remtach had to happen, if Wilder refused it would have been a blatant act of ducking because he knows he only kept his belts due to politics.

Fury vs Joshua is the better fight anyway, when it's all said and done I'm sure all three will fight each other.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:07 pm

Well it was actually Wilder who chased Fury for a rematch, Fury and his camp seemed to be willing to look at options following the fight and was actually talking to Hearn unlike Wilder.

As for Joshua in the states against Wilder vs fighting Miller ..............

Well lets make it clear, Joshua is a heavy favourite against Miller and this is really a PR move, against Wilder the 3x belt holder has EVERY right to have home advantage in the biggest fight in HW boxing, AJ has earned that right at the least.

Why is it always for AJ to concede? I don't understand that, Wilder is the one who's career needed an injection and seeking all the belts AJ has earned, he def should be the one giving way on home turf.

People seem to expect AJ to just hand Wilder the belts ffs.

If anyone's losing out here its Whyte ............ that is unless he's not confident of an AJ win?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:17 pm

Tbh I'm okay with Whyte getting skipped over so long as Joshua flatlines Miller.

Wilder and Fury both wanted the rematch, it's admirable that Wilder is willing to fight Tyson immediately knowing that he just lost to him and knowing that if he loses again his chance of a big money fight with Joshua is gone.

Not many would be willing to do that, he's putting his pride and legacy before money and because of that boxing fans will be the real winners.

Any combination of Fury vs Wilder vs Joshua is an amazing fight and like I said they will all fight each other eventually (probably multiple times in some cases).
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:23 am

Wilder vs Joshua sells even if Fury beats Wilder. I feel like people are ignoring that...

And do you think Eddie Hearn wants AJ to fight Wilder because of some belt? No, he looks at the projections for PPV numbers and instantly jizzes every time.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:22 am

Jedi wrote:Wilder vs Joshua sells even if Fury beats Wilder. I feel like people are ignoring that...

Yep, it sells because it's the most explosive fight and a knockout is 99% guaranteed.

Obviously it would be bigger if Wilder is still *unbeaten, but it sells regardless of if he loses to Fury again because it promises fireworks.

Fury vs Joshua would be the biggest British fight of all time, the live gate would do crazy numbers.

*Even though he should have a loss on his record
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:47 am

Jedi wrote:Wilder vs Joshua sells even if Fury beats Wilder. I feel like people are ignoring that...

And do you think Eddie Hearn wants AJ to fight Wilder because of some belt? No, he looks at the projections for PPV numbers and instantly jizzes every time.

Yes that's true but there's a snag here.

If you think money is an issue now, how do you think it'll be for Wilder if he has no belt?

You see again, with Wilder he makes decisions on ego not business, I honestly can't see Hearn giving Wilder enough money to fight Joshua if Wilder is without a belt, meaning we'll get more of the same with Wilder complaining "They're not giving me 50/50", Hearn has offered ow 60/40 that's as good an offer as he'll make, imagine if Wilder has no belt?

Wilder never sees the bigger picture which is why AJ is more successful, if he beats Joshua he'll be forever writing his own cheques but he's such a dunce he doesn't know a good opportunity when he sees it if he feels he's being slighted.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:14 pm

I just don't like how Joshua wasn't willing to fight Wilder in the states but he'll fight Miller no problem.

Well lets make it clear, Joshua is a heavy favourite against Miller and this is really a PR move, against Wilder the 3x belt holder has EVERY right to have home advantage in the biggest fight in HW boxing, AJ has earned that right at the least.

Absolutely, not withstanding the fact that he's seen the judges scores from the Wilder Fury fight and doesn't fancy getting robbed .....if it goes the distance.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 pm

An interesting one for Va va who's convinced Joshua is ducking, here's AJ talking to a delivery guy who's recorded their private phone call and leaked it.

Going to fight Millar and he's said he has offered everyone else to fight but they haven't accepted so finally this puts to bed any accusation that he's not made the offers.

Deontay isn't returning their calls, Fury has opted for Wilder and we all know what's happened with Whyte.

Point is AJ is up for fighting all of them.

Here's Eddie discussing it @6:55

DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:07 pm

Why would Wilder return their calls when everyone knew the rematch would happen as soon as the draw was announced?

A rematch was all Wilder and Fury were interested in.

Wilder wasn't going to duck Fury to fight Joshua.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:29 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Why would Wilder return their calls when everyone knew the rematch would happen as soon as the draw was announced?

A rematch was all Wilder and Fury were interested in.

Wilder wasn't going to duck Fury to fight Joshua.

So then why doesn't he announce that rather than keep saying "They don't want to fight me"?

As a business man I can see exactly what he's doing, he's trying to switch the blame on a party who he has no intention of fighting, you don't hear him being honest and saying "I don't want to fight AJ" which is the truth of it.

Fury is returning their calls, yes he's going to sign for the rematch but he's negotiating a ready position for if he beats Wilder, you would of thought Wilder would be doing the same.

In the end of the day regardless this situation just shuts down the AJ haters, "he's ducking" fk off u mugs, 60/40 split is as fair as they could get without sending them the belts via UPS.

Thing is I respect Wilder, I respect Fury and I respect AJ, the only reason it seems I favor AJ is because I have to constantly defend him against BS accusations .......... if I thought AJ was ducking I'd say it myself.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby quickeyg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:40 pm

Eleider Alvarez vs Sergey Kovalev 2 (Kovalev got battered in the first fight) from Texas on BoxNation tomorrow night. The last 3 weeks we've been spoilt with fights on free tv. Looks like another set the alarm & get up in the morning job for me again. Can't complain.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, i'm enjoying the AJ soap opera - maybe you casuals are slowly waking up. I hear Joshua might be fighting in August - bloody August.
quickeyg
Liam Brady

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing