The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby Jedi » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Joshua had a SkySports interview today, said he hopes Fury beats Wilder as he's more likely to fight him, and, interestingly enough, offered to help Fury in sparring for the fight.

Fury has accepted the offer and said he would love to have Joshua in the training camp. Weird times. Next we're gonna have Joshua in Tyson's corner for the fight.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Phil71 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:50 am

I think Wilder would knock Joshua out.

If he can catch Fury he'll catch Joshua - and Joshua doesn't have the recovery speed of Fury.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Jedi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Phil71 wrote:I think Wilder would knock Joshua out.

If he can catch Fury he'll catch Joshua - and Joshua doesn't have the recovery speed of Fury.

But why are people pretending that Joshua needs to run from Wilder for 12 rounds?

Wilder has never fought anyone with the power and offensive capabilities of Joshua. What happens if Joshua lands his big right hand first and wobbles Wilder?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Losmeister » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:56 pm

Jedi wrote:

But why are people pretending that Joshua needs to run from Wilder for 12 rounds?

Wilder has never fought anyone with the power and offensive capabilities of Joshua. What happens if Joshua lands his big right hand first and wobbles Wilder?

he just let a fat mexican go 12, being cautious all the way...

anyway... https://theathletic.com/1467449/2019/12 ... g-bell-is-tyson-furys-split-with-trainer-ben-davison-a-cause-for-concern-ahead-of-rematch-with-deontay-wilder/
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:00 pm

Jedi wrote:

Wilder has the better hands, hits as hard if not harder and is quicker.

Is there a way for Joshua to win, yes, but I think he has to make it ugly, walk Wilder down, maybe bring the fight in close because AJ's combo's with upper cuts and hooks are actually decent (put Ruiz down) and that's where Wilder struggles.

............ but at range, I can't see how AJ wins.

Wilder has the reach, slight height and speed advantage from distance and AJ is a bit of a target, one right hand from Wilder and AJ is toast.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:52 pm

Losmeister wrote:
Jedi wrote:

he just let a fat mexican go 12, being cautious all the way...

anyway... https://theathletic.com/1467449/2019/12 ... g-bell-is-tyson-furys-split-with-trainer-ben-davison-a-cause-for-concern-ahead-of-rematch-with-deontay-wilder/

He may be a fat Mexican but his hands are very quick and he has a solid punch.

Joshua is much slower and has a glass chin, so it would have been stupid of him to fight any other way than the way he did.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:56 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Is there a way for Joshua to win, yes, but I think he has to make it ugly, walk Wilder down, maybe bring the fight in close because AJ's combo's with upper cuts and hooks are actually decent (put Ruiz down) and that's where Wilder struggles.

Wilder has the reach, slight height and speed advantage from distance and AJ is a bit of a target, one right hand from Wilder and AJ is toast.

Wilder has one of the most destructive punches I've seen in all my years of watching boxing.

He will definitely put Joshua on the deck if he catches him.

But I also agree that Wilder's chin isn't great either, so anything could happen.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Jedi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:18 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:

I agree completely, i said the same thing to Vava. People see the Ruiz performance and think Joshua is going to exclusively try to outbox his opponents now. I don't think that he's going to do that at all and i think that the Ruiz gameplan would be suicide vs Wilder. Joshua needs to look to close the range and fight on the inside, and i fully expect Wilder to be the on the back foot in that fight.

As for who wins... I don't know. I used to think it's Joshua, then Wilder, and now I'm at 50/50 again... That's why they need to fight so that we can finally find out who's the best.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Jedi wrote:
As for who wins... I don't know. I used to think it's Joshua, then Wilder, and now I'm at 50/50 again... That's why they need to fight so that we can finally find out who's the best.

Continuing to act like Fury doesn't exist.

Very strange.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Jedi wrote:

Continuing to act like Fury doesn't exist.

Very strange.

What i meant to say is we need to see all these big fights between top heavyweights to determine who's the best.

For all i know, 15 years from now, it might be Dubois or Hrgovic that clear the divison and end up being the king of this era. It's not a foregone conclusion that it's one of Fury/Wilder/Joshua.

But definitely not ignoring Fury as he is my favorite boxer.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:20 am

Charlo knocks Harrison out in their rematch.

Great fight to close out the year.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 pm

Fury vs Wilder 2 press conference just finished. It was pretty boring.

I don't know what it is, but Fury, personality wise, lost a bit of his edge. He seems to have this slightly nervous energy now (it was present in the WWE events too). Pure speculatuon but my guess is that it has a lot to do with going to therapy. He probably dealt with a lot of personal bullshit that was buried deep inside and adopted a more positive outlook on life and while that is definitely a good thing, someone poking and prodding around your insecurities can make you more vulnerable in some ways.

I don't think it affected his performances in the ring but it's not the same guy that bullied Klitschko in every press conference. I don't think he has that in his locker anymore.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:08 pm

Fury vs AJ would take place in Saudi, i swear hearn didn;t want AJ to fight in the states at first because of the fan base they built in the UK. I like hearn but he has been caught lieing a lot the last year. He says he is big against peds and wouldn't want to work with fighters lke that, signs BJS has browne, povetkin, ortiz etc. on his cards lol. The guy said yotube boxing was terrible for the sport then jumps on the bandwagon after he sees how much money he makes. Overall hearn has done good for boxing but he should just be honest from now.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Ach » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:27 pm

I see wilder running his mouth again lol
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:34 am