Re: The general boxing thread

Postby VCC » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:59 pm

That I do agree on DG Bruno had one of the worst jaws in boxing
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:02 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Foreman said Liston is the only fighter to ever back him up in sparring and the only person to ever intimidate him.

That is one fight I'd of loved to have seen.

However ........... putting my money on Foreman.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:09 pm

Also as well Jedi is pretty much right about Tyson.

Fantastic fighter, people actually underestimate that he wasn't just a puncher or brawler, his actual boxing in his Cus'Dmato days was brilliant for a HW.

.......... however, Jedi is right, size in the end worked against Tyson.

He's 5'10 and you saw that size really work against him when he faced Lennox Lewis and Buster Douglas, he lost to Holyfield even who was small enough at 6'1 that he should of been able to beat him.

Tyson is awesome, could give anyone a go including Foreman, but he's not beating Fury, I don't even think, in fact I know he wouldn't of beaten Riddick Bowe.

To be fair I will say this, 80's Tyson even with his small size would beat most HW's but not Fury, I actually think he'd have a better shot against Lewis when he was under Cus but would he be able to put him away .........?

Hmmm tough one.

Ali vs Tyson would of been spectactular and they are better matched in size and weight as well.

That's a name for you fkers though, I've noticed no ones mentioned Riddick Bowe because ya'll don't know sh*t.

Riddick was 43-1 a loss to Holyfield which he avenged, Riddick would beat some of the guys we're mentioning, big and a tough SOB.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:15 pm

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Jedi wrote:All I will say:

2020s > 90s

Don't watch the highlights. Go and watch this fight in full without looking at the result. I'm so glad I watched it live.

Loooooool you what John?!!!

Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe and Frank Bruno versus Fury, Wilder, Joshua, Usyk, Dillian White et al, you think the latter is a better period than the former?!!

:rofll:

Well the Tyson of the 90's was not a great fighter.
Frank Bruno? No.
Riddick Bowe?? Come on

Holyfield yeah and Lewis yeah.

Fury is one of best ever.
Usyk looks a good fighter - we'll see how he does going forward (i don;t think beating Joshua is much of an achievement)
Joshua - meh.. basically another Frank Bruno
White is rubbish.

Errrrrr ... you just agreed with me Jay!

Mentioned
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Losmeister » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:54 am

What do we make of Wilder's time as the HW champ?
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:37 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Wilder above Foreman?

His best win is Ortiz ffs.

I think DG has been smoking the hard stuff ......

He is placing to much value on Fury beating Wilder 3 times, FFS, Wilder isn't even good and his so-called punch power - meh. Fighting a load of bums padding out his record doesn't make him a hard hitter or great. Fury has boxing skill but there is not a hope in hell that Fury could stand up to heavy weight greats like Foreman, Ali, Tyson and Lewis. He wouldn't beat Frank Bruno because Fury's knockdown power isn't up there.

You've just disqualified yourself in spectactular fashion with that statement.

That's worse than even what JayRam has come out with.

I have watched all of Fury's fights and I have watched all of Tyson's fights and most of Lewis' fights. I have seen the big Ali fights and all of Bruno's fights. Here is why I am right and you are sadly mistaken:

Fury vs Foreman - Foreman had a far more powerful punch than Wilder who I think doesn't have that special a power punch at all, its over hyped. If Fury got clipped by Foreman it would be lights out, Fury has not demonstrated punch resistance, his movement when shadow boxing and hitting the bag is not the movement we see in fights.

Fury vs Ali - Ali demonstrated that he could beat the biggest punchers in Liston, Frazier and Foreman, his movement and ringcraft run rings around Fury's actual ringcraft. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Fury vs Tyson - Tyson may have struggled with the height of Fury but his entire record is littered with fighters taller/bigger than him. Tyson was excellent at getting in close and delivering devastating body and head shots. Tyson had "real" knockout power as opposed to Wilder's exaggerated so-called power. I don't see Fury making a dent on Tyson.

Fury vs Lewis - Lewis in his prime was too good an all round boxer for Fury to beat. Not small at I think 6ft5, he had the height to not worry about Fury's advantage and the power and the jab to make Fury wary not to mentioned the boxing skill lacked by the current crop of heavyweights. Fury doesnt have the punch power to trouble Lewis.

Fury vs Bruno - Bruno, a supremely conditioned fighter with a big heart. His only losses were to Tyson twice, Lennox Lewis, Bonecrusher Smith and Tim Witherspoon, the best fighters in the era. I already said the current crop are nowhere as good as those in the 90s, definitely not as good as those in the 80s!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:46 am

And by the way DG just because you used to box that doesn't make you the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to boxing. While I will concede you have superior knowledge than most the fact you used to box trumps nothing in a debate like this which is all about opinions.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:05 am

Actually DG who is the best boxer you have shared a ring with.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:19 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

He is placing to much value on Fury beating Wilder 3 times, FFS, Wilder isn't even good and his so-called punch power - meh. Fighting a load of bums padding out his record doesn't make him a hard hitter or great. Fury has boxing skill but there is not a hope in hell that Fury could stand up to heavy weight greats like Foreman, Ali, Tyson and Lewis. He wouldn't beat Frank Bruno because Fury's knockdown power isn't up there.

Dude.
Nobody 'disqualifies' themselves from conversation.
You have a strange way of looking at things. Like it's a constant competition.

I think your view that Usyk after just 19 fights is an all time great is a bit stupid, but I don't question your right to hold it.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:51 am

Yeah I’m certainly with HH on Mike Tyson, but probably not Bruno.

Also, let’s not let Tysons record get in the way of this debate about who would beat who. Mike Tyson lost his way quite quickly…….but at his best, he’d had removed Fury from the ring within a few mins if not seconds. Only those with the finest footwork and great jabs like Ali and Lewis would stand a chance of keeping him out and prolonging the fight far enough to give them a chance.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Rockape » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:56 am

Bruno ( bless ‘im) was never a great boxer. He had a ramrod jab and concussive right hand that along his size, made him a fearsome opponent., for most.

But decent boxers could move around him and pick him off. Mike Tyson just steamed into him, without a care in the world.

It’s a good debate!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:05 am

Losmeister wrote:What do we make of Wilder's time as the HW champ?

Only fought 2 decent fighters, one was an over the hill Ortiz who was beating him in both fights until the stoppages. Ortiz in his prime beats Wilder, who the f**k is Ortiz?!!

That is the exclamation mark right there, Wilder is a trumped up puncher with a padded out record against nobodies.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:07 am

Rockape wrote:Yeah I’m certainly with HH on Mike Tyson, but probably not Bruno.

Also, let’s not let Tysons record get in the way of this debate about who would beat who. Mike Tyson lost his way quite quickly…….but at his best, he’d had removed Fury from the ring within a few mins if not seconds. Only those with the finest footwork and great jabs like Ali and Lewis would stand a chance of keeping him out and prolonging the fight far enough to give them a chance.

Cocaine, hookers and no training. Read his autobiography and the night before the Buster Douglas fight Tyson was partying hard. He just went off the rails and lost the plot. Considering how bad it got, it's good to see where he's at today. It's a complete turnaround.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:21 am

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

I have watched all of Fury's fights and I have watched all of Tyson's fights and most of Lewis' fights. I have seen the big Ali fights and all of Bruno's fights. Here is why I am right and you are sadly mistaken:

Fury vs Foreman - Foreman had a far more powerful punch than Wilder who I think doesn't have that special a power punch at all, its over hyped. If Fury got clipped by Foreman it would be lights out, Fury has not demonstrated punch resistance, his movement when shadow boxing and hitting the bag is not the movement we see in fights.

Fury vs Ali - Ali demonstrated that he could beat the biggest punchers in Liston, Frazier and Foreman, his movement and ringcraft run rings around Fury's actual ringcraft. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Fury vs Tyson - Tyson may have struggled with the height of Fury but his entire record is littered with fighters taller/bigger than him. Tyson was excellent at getting in close and delivering devastating body and head shots. Tyson had "real" knockout power as opposed to Wilder's exaggerated so-called power. I don't see Fury making a dent on Tyson.

Fury vs Lewis - Lewis in his prime was too good an all round boxer for Fury to beat. Not small at I think 6ft5, he had the height to not worry about Fury's advantage and the power and the jab to make Fury wary not to mentioned the boxing skill lacked by the current crop of heavyweights. Fury doesnt have the punch power to trouble Lewis.

Fury vs Bruno - Bruno, a supremely conditioned fighter with a big heart. His only losses were to Tyson twice, Lennox Lewis, Bonecrusher Smith and Tim Witherspoon, the best fighters in the era. I already said the current crop are nowhere as good as those in the 90s, definitely not as good as those in the 80s!

I think you underestimate Wilders punch power.

Fury is also far better than you are giving him credit for. Like Ali he's good at everything. Probably the most complete boxer since Ali.

As for Bruno. I disagree. He was just a slightly better version of Joshua. Decent but a glass jaw. Both literally go/went into a zombie state punch bag as soon as they are hit with a decent punch.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:45 am

Fury getting knocked down by Wilder and getting back up again (second fight?) was the moment that puts him right up there for me. You could see the look on Wilder's face. Normal fighters don't get up from that.

Mike Tyson is the best I've seen. Genuinely looked like he wanted to kill someone everytime he got in the ring (until he had his breakdown, then he seemed less angry/aggressive).

Angry Tyson vs current Fury would be an awesome fight, could go either way.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing