Harry Carpenter dies aged 84

Harry Carpenter dies aged 84

Postby gzagee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:05 pm

Sad day for real :(

RIP Harry

Harry Carpenter, the BBC's 'voice of boxing', dies

Former BBC boxing commentator Harry Carpenter has died at the age of 84.

Carpenter was the BBC's voice of boxing for almost half a century after joining the corporation in 1949, when he first began commentating on the sport.

Known for his double act with British boxing great Frank Bruno, Carpenter also presented Sportsnight, Grandstand and Sports Personality of the Year.

He retired in 1994 and died in his sleep at King's College Hospital in London in the early hours of Saturday.

Carpenter, who also wrote for the Greyhound Express and Daily Mail in the early years of his career, was on air for the "Rumble in the Jungle" between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman in Zaire (now the Democratic Republic of Congo) in 1974.

He labelled the end of the contest - Ali won by knockout - as "the most extraordinary few seconds that I have ever seen in a boxing ring".

Of Ali himself, Carpenter said: "He is not only the most remarkable sports personality I have ever met, he is the most remarkable man I have ever met."

Carpenter had the privilege of presenting Ali with the BBC's Sports Personality of the Century award in 1999.

A year later, Carpenter recalled: "It was a wonderfully poignant moment. I was very flattered and pleased that I was asked to do the tribute to him.

"It was such a shame to see the old boy tottering about, but we had a chat afterwards and he is still very, very sharp. He remembers all those old days."

Carpenter was a regular Sports Personality of the Year co-host throughout the 1970s and 1980s, having first worked on the programme in 1958, and also covered a wide range of sports for the BBC, including rowing, tennis and golf.

His immediately recognisable, warm broadcasting style earned him plaudits outside the United Kingdom, too.

In 1989, he received American Sportscasters' Association and International Sportscaster of the Year awards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/8580058.stm
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Re: Harry Carpenter dies aged 84

Postby SE13 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Just heard this on the radio news bulletin.

Him and Frank Bruno, what a combination.

RIP 'arry

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Maxduke » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:56 pm

I don't know who he is but R.I.P.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rogerthornhill » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:05 pm

He was a top class sports presenter, one of the very best. Many times he interviewed Muhammad Ali when Ali was at his peak in the mid to late 60s. He also interviewed Sonny Liston and that underlined the complete contrast between the articulate charismatic Ali and the seemingly slow-witted Liston.

His commentary at the end of the Ali v Foreman fight is just wonderful, it's emotional and rather moving.

RIP Harry Carpenter.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Massa » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Rest In Peace.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Gunflash » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:49 pm

The voice of boxing. TV coverage is so widespread that nobody can really dominate commentary anymore, the way Dan Maskell did at Wimbledon, Murray Walker with F1 and, of course, Harry Carpenter with boxing. He was a legendary commentator, free from the inanities of modern commentators. For me, Carpenter's ultimate moment was when Ali beat Foreman in the Rumble in the Jungle. Carpenter exclaimed: "Oh my God, he's won the title back at 32!"

RIP Harry
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby UFGN » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 am

Where's 'Arry?

He's in the coffin, Frank.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Libertine » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:10 pm

RIP Harry Carpenter

He was once the BBC's Voice Of Boxing, now the BBC won't even show boxing.....
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Return to Boxing