The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:35 pm

Apparently, Paul had a clause in his fight contract that said he couldn't be knocked out. That's fight tampering......

Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Jedi » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:42 pm

Looks like Joshua is in the US shopping for a new trainer. In fact, Ronnie Shields has already confirmed he's had discussions with Joshua about training him for the Usyk rematch. Not my first choice but just getting away from that amateur boxing setup and McCraken will make Joshua a better fighter.

An interesting quote from Ronnie Shields:
"He told me, 'Listen, I know people don't think I'm a dog. I'm gonna be a dog in this next fight.' And that's his words. He told me, 'I just need you to show me how to be the best dog you can teach me to be."

I'm not sure It's gonna work out for Joshua, but someone's getting knocked out in that rematch.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:05 pm

Jedi wrote:Looks like Joshua is in the US shopping for a new trainer. In fact, Ronnie Shields has already confirmed he's had discussions with Joshua about training him for the Usyk rematch. Not my first choice but just getting away from that amateur boxing setup and McCraken will make Joshua a better fighter.

An interesting quote from Ronnie Shields:
"He told me, 'Listen, I know people don't think I'm a dog. I'm gonna be a dog in this next fight.' And that's his words. He told me, 'I just need you to show me how to be the best dog you can teach me to be."

I'm not sure It's gonna work out for Joshua, but someone's getting knocked out in that rematch.

Exactly what he needs to do.

That doughnut Carl Froch was saying McCraken is good and its the other people in AJ's ear but I heard clear as day in what the 10th round in the corner after the bell, McCraken literally said "Your doing well, just keep behind your jab".

When he was clearly starting to lag on points and the fight had shifted, even the commentators and every pro interviewed said AJ should of put it on him and used his size and power as he wasn't going to out box Usyk ........ fk that even Eddie Hearn said it.

It seems the only one who didn't know that was McCrapen.

Fury did the same thing and went to Kronk, it seems Fury is just more switched on than AJ in every area.

Here it is @ 55:00 - Terrible advice for a guy behind on points especially when your the bigger stronger guy and you need a KO.

DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:44 am

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:32 am

hmm... nothing about Canelo v Plant?
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:48 am

Canelo has lost his damn mind taking on Makabu.

The mans a Crusier weight champion, he walks around at nigh 16st and Canelo fights at 12.5 st.

I love the fight though, if he wins this Canelo is going down as a great in boxing, if he wins this it'll be unbelievable.

Took the right guy at CW though, def avoid Goulamirian (the other CW champ) that guy is an animal and Lawrence Okolie is simply too big at 6'5.

Makabu is 6'ft so Canelo has faced guys that height before but I still worry about the strength difference, Canelo is the better fighter p4p for sure but still ...............
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:26 am

Makabu is nowhere close to 16st. He regularly weighed in considerably under the cruiserweight limit which means he doesn't cut weight and he's naturally somewhere around 13.5 to 14st. He also has a lot of miles on his clock.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:13 pm

Jedi wrote:Makabu is nowhere close to 16st. He regularly weighed in considerably under the cruiserweight limit which means he doesn't cut weight and he's naturally somewhere around 13.5 to 14st. He also has a lot of miles on his clock.

This is another case of me knowing what I'm talking about and you not.

I'll leave it there.

I've met Tony Bellew who fought Makabu, seen pictures of them side by side and I have a pic of me side by side with Bellew.

I'm 5'11, practically the same height as Makabu and around his weight, I'm telling you, as with all Cruiserweights, he cuts down to make weight, doesn't matter if he weighs in a couple of pounds less on weigh in day, they have 24hrs to rehydrate and can re-put on over a stone.

Usyk is walking into HW fights practically 16st (15.11st exact) fully trained, not even walk around weight.

Tony explained all of this in the talk I attended, your opinion is an uneducated one.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:32 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:Makabu is nowhere close to 16st. He regularly weighed in considerably under the cruiserweight limit which means he doesn't cut weight and he's naturally somewhere around 13.5 to 14st. He also has a lot of miles on his clock.

I'll leave it there.

I've met Tony Bellew who fought Makabu, seen pictures of them side by side and I have a pic of me side by side with Bellew.

I'm 5'11, practically the same height as Makabu and around his weight, I'm telling you, as with all Cruiserweights, he cuts down to make weight, doesn't matter if he weighs in a couple of pounds less on weigh in day, they have 24hrs to rehydrate and can re-put on over a stone.

Usyk is walking into HW fights practically 16st (15.11st exact) fully trained, not even walk around weight.

Tony explained all of this in the talk I attended, your opinion is an uneducated one.

We know how tough cutting weight is, why the f**k would you cut 10 pounds more than you need to? That is legit an insane assertion. I'm willing to bet my life that Makabu doesn't cut weight to fight at CW.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:47 pm

Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

I'll leave it there.

We know how tough cutting weight is, why the f**k would you cut 10 pounds more than you need to? That is legit an insane assertion. I'm willing to bet my life that Makabu doesn't cut weight to fight at CW.

What are you on about my friend.

The limit for CW is 200lbs.

He hasn't weighed in less than 6lbs under the limit in his last 9 fights since Bellew.

He's a good bit thicker than me, 15.7st definitely no less than 15st and I'm being generous.

So walk weight around anywhere between 15-16st.

Every boxer cuts weight, almost no one outside of Eubank Jr walks around at fight weight.

If Makabu was the weight you suggested he'd be fighting at LHW.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:19 am

Crawford vs Porter on now
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:14 am

Crawford vs Spence is still the best match up in boxing, as I've been saying for years now.

Shame we'll probably never get it.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:15 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Crawford vs Spence is still the best match up in boxing, as I've been saying for years now.

Shame we'll probably never get it.

Its a disgrace.

Very reminiscent of early to mid 2000's situation when this issue of people dodging competion was rampant.

It put boxing on its arse and the UFC benefited massively, people got fed up with the big fights not being made.

I thought we were past that now, the Crawford vs Spence situation shows its still lingering.

However I'll say right now, fk that fight .......... Canelo vs Makabu is a fkin historic match up.

If Canelo can beat a legit CW champion I'll be so impressed, Canelo is only 5'7 ffs.

I will say though, if he chose Goulamarian I'd be legit worried for Canelo's life, Arsen is way to strong and aggressive for Canelo, he chose the right CW champion imo.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:55 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Crawford vs Porter on now

that was a masterclass. good stuff
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham