The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun May 09, 2021 9:40 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Roy Jones is probably the worst match up for Canelo in history.

Freak athlete with unpralled speed and he's extremely unorthodox to boot.

I don't think Canelo would get near him, for as good as Canelo his footwork is kind of plodding. He's great at cutting the ring but Roy would be too fast to corner and Canelo has to have his feet set to unload his power shots.

To top it off Roy was taller and had a longer reach, he would win a wide decision imo.

Calzaghe would be closer but I still might tip him to win based on activity, he was super slick and also a southpaw which clearly gives Canelo more trouble.

Take everything you said then add on to the fact Roy Jones used to hit as hard if not harder than Canelo.

He was knocking out Light Heavyweights, I'm not sure who hits harder with their feet planted, Canelo may edge that, maybe not, but boxing on the move I have no doubt Roy hit harder at Super MW.

So yeah, terrible match up, it would look worse than Sugar Ray Leonard vs Hagler because of RJ's power.

Hopkins? doesn't hit as hard as RJ, slick boxing but doesn't move as much as Roy either.

Canelo or Hopkins?

That's a really tough one to call, I'd initially say Hopkins but I do think Canelo could start getting to him.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun May 09, 2021 9:45 pm

Paddy wrote:calzaghe was different level man

his work rate was insane

I met Calzaghe.

Believe it or not it was me who told him to fight Roy Jones rather than just retire after he fights Hopkins which was the plan.
Gave him a whole breakdown on it and everything, big name, someone the fans still question if you can beat, big money, the one name you'll never have on your record if you retire.

Then he beats Hopkins and the first thing he does is announce he's fighting Roy Jones, I remember I was thinking "where's my money for the idea?", man made millions off one half drunk conversation in a bar.

Typical.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Paddy » Sun May 09, 2021 9:56 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

his work rate was insane

I met Calzaghe.

Believe it or not it was me who told him to fight Roy Jones rather than just retire after he fights Hopkins which was the plan.
Gave him a whole breakdown on it and everything, big name, someone the fans still question if you can beat, big money, the one name you'll never have on your record if you retire.

Then he beats Hopkins and the first thing he does is announce he's fighting Roy Jones, I remember I was thinking "where's my money for the idea?", man made millions off one half drunk conversation in a bar.

Typical.

where was this? he's my fav boxer.

loved his old man too- what a character.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun May 09, 2021 10:10 pm

Paddy wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

his work rate was insane

I met Calzaghe.

Typical.

I think it must of been around late February or March 2008, just before his match with Hopkins.

It was in a bar called Mai Tai down south.

Apparently he used to come down that way now and again, some guys who I know of used to hang around with him now and again, lets just say old Joe liked a bit of a party now and again lol.

I was coming out of the gents lavy and he was walking in, I looked and went "Joe Calzage?" he said yep, I said to him I won't hold him up as he was going to take a piss.
When he came out we had a chat for about 20mins, I told him I was in the ABA's as an undefeated amatuer and said what an amazing achievement he's had for British boxing.

The bit about Roy came from the fact that Roy was my hero back then and I naturally was inquistitive to get Joes take on it so I said ..........
"Do you think you could beat Roy Jones Jr" he said yeah, which I thought was a bit dismissive and I'm not a kiss arse so I looked at him and said "What, even in his prime?" he said well yeah Roy was really good and the discussion just went from there.

One wierd thing is after a pause he leaned in and said "Its all about speed" which was funny because that came out of nowhere, I hadn't even asked lol.

Anyway I went back and sat with my mates and shortly after he walked past and said "See you later mate" and all my mates on the table just looked at me and went "Is that Joe Calzage saying bye to you?" ........ you know how I do lol.

Yeah it was interesting and an honor I must say to shoot boxing talk with the best British boxer to ever live tbf......... even if he is Welsh lol.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Paddy » Mon May 10, 2021 9:32 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Paddy wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

his work rate was insane

I met Calzaghe.

Typical.

I think it must of been around late February or March 2008, just before his match with Hopkins.

It was in a bar called Mai Tai down south.

Apparently he used to come down that way now and again, some guys who I know of used to hang around with him now and again, lets just say old Joe liked a bit of a party now and again lol.

I was coming out of the gents lavy and he was walking in, I looked and went "Joe Calzage?" he said yep, I said to him I won't hold him up as he was going to take a piss.
When he came out we had a chat for about 20mins, I told him I was in the ABA's as an undefeated amatuer and said what an amazing achievement he's had for British boxing.

The bit about Roy came from the fact that Roy was my hero back then and I naturally was inquistitive to get Joes take on it so I said ..........
"Do you think you could beat Roy Jones Jr" he said yeah, which I thought was a bit dismissive and I'm not a kiss arse so I looked at him and said "What, even in his prime?" he said well yeah Roy was really good and the discussion just went from there.

One wierd thing is after a pause he leaned in and said "Its all about speed" which was funny because that came out of nowhere, I hadn't even asked lol.

Anyway I went back and sat with my mates and shortly after he walked past and said "See you later mate" and all my mates on the table just looked at me and went "Is that Joe Calzage saying bye to you?" ........ you know how I do lol.

Yeah it was interesting and an honor I must say to shoot boxing talk with the best British boxer to ever live tbf......... even if he is Welsh lol.

thats class

agreed on him being the best british boxer ever

how comes you didnt go down the professional route?
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 am

Awesome story
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon May 10, 2021 11:31 am

Great story, how many undefeated fights did you have in the amauters?
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 10, 2021 6:12 pm

What weight were you as an amateur?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:What weight were you as an amateur?

I weighed in at 187 lbs (13.5st) in the amauters that's classed as HW but there's Super HW above that so effectively its more like cruiser weight.

I was a LHW but I had just started getting heavier by that age (23).

Paddy wrote:
thats class

I've got a very clear answer ............

Too much partying, chasing p*ssy and drinking, hanging out on the streets all the time.

I loved boxing / fighting but I didn't have the discipline to have match after match after match.

Tbf that is a common story, I knew a few guys that the entire town was scared of, local legends so to speak, one was a gypsy bare knuckle fighter, another was a local boxer, we were all 21 yrs old taking on Doorman etc.

But again, drugs, partying all weekend, getting into trouble, neither of those guys went any further either, the gypsy ended up in prison for a long stretch and got strung out on drugs, the other guy unfortunately committed suicide.

The thing that separates professional boxers from any other tough guy on the street is that dedication to be a sportsman.
Mike Tyson for example would often run away from Cus D'mato's training camp to go hang out in Brooklyn when he was a teenager, they had to go bring him back each time until he realised if he wanted to make it he needed to stay.

I'd say as well something else which didn't help is I moved out of home when I was 17 so had to always make ends meet to pay rent etc so had to focus on making money, if I was living with my parents and had less financial pressure I could of focused more on having matches.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Paddy » Mon May 10, 2021 7:37 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:What weight were you as an amateur?

I weighed in at 187 lbs (13.5st) in the amauters that's classed as HW but there's Super HW above that so effectively its more like cruiser weight.

I was a LHW but I had just started getting heavier by that age (23).

Paddy wrote:
thats class

I've got a very clear answer ............

Too much partying, chasing p*ssy and drinking, hanging out on the streets all the time.

I loved boxing / fighting but I didn't have the discipline to have match after match after match.

Tbf that is a common story, I knew a few guys that the entire town was scared of, local legends so to speak, one was a gypsy bare knuckle fighter, another was a local boxer, we were all 21 yrs old taking on Doorman etc.

But again, drugs, partying all weekend, getting into trouble, neither of those guys went any further either, the gypsy ended up in prison for a long stretch and got strung out on drugs, the other guy unfortunately committed suicide.

The thing that separates professional boxers from any other tough guy on the street is that dedication to be a sportsman.
Mike Tyson for example would often run away from Cus D'mato's training camp to go hang out in Brooklyn when he was a teenager, they had to go bring him back each time until he realised if he wanted to make it he needed to stay.

I'd say as well something else which didn't help is I moved out of home when I was 17 so had to always make ends meet to pay rent etc so had to focus on making money, if I was living with my parents and had less financial pressure I could of focused more on having matches.

yeah thats fair enough

how far do you reckon you could have got had you dedicated your life to the sport? if you were unbeaten in the aba's a british title wouldnt have been unthinkable?

on the topic of tyson there's a great story about the first time cus took mike to his house. as soon as mike walked in the first thing he thought was 'how can i rob this house'.
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 10, 2021 8:41 pm

In all honesty like every young cocky kid who can have it, I thought I could get far, I was the best in my gym including pound for pound, I was beating up HW's and doorman who used to come into the gym for sparring, I was terrorising anyone who was my weight.

But you just don't know.

Who do you come up against? how quick can you perfect your style of boxing?

What if I had come up against a young Usyk? what if I didn't, so the thing is you just never know unless you do it, every boxer thinks they're unbeatable until it happens.

I know when I was having my matches I was going through a bit of a transition, I was 12.10st so was a LHW and used to mimic Roy Jones quite a lot but as I got heavier that style wasn't working for me as much, I was getting too heavy set to do the hit & move style of boxing and I became more of a boxer, puncher.

Basically I was transitioning to Cruiserweight from Super Middle weight when I was 18 / 19, then LHW when I was 20 / 21, then I started hitting 13.05st when I was 22 / 23.

Now at this age, if I hit 13.10st I'm slim, when I'm in shape I'm 13.11 - 14st but I spend too much time in the late 14's.

Currently because of Covid shutting the gyms for a year and half I'm back to my heaviest ever of 16 stone, I've got to lose 2 stone now ffs.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Paddy » Mon May 10, 2021 10:14 pm

think a lot of people are in the same situation

luckily i managed to get hold of some weights at the start of lockdown so managed to keep up the fitness

a few people at work have piled on the pounds though lol
Paddy
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat May 15, 2021 6:58 pm

Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury on 14th August .............

Is going to be absolutely massive.

This is a monster of a fight worth over £100m and to believe this opportunity was offered to that fraud Wilder and he turned it down .................turned down £100m to fight AJ!!!!

After all that big talk how it was AJ backing out? DAZN literally sat him and that gremlin of a manager Finkel in a room and said right, £100m, lets go and the fraud said no, said NO!!

Think about it, anyone on this forum would of said yes to take a beating for £100m ffs, what a coward.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sun May 16, 2021 7:09 pm

I wouldn't call any professional boxer a coward.

It takes a lot of courage to get into a boxing ring at that level - especially at that weight.

We don't know if it was Wilder himself who declined the fight (if it was declined at all).
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 17, 2021 1:11 am

Phil71 wrote:I wouldn't call any professional boxer a coward.

It takes a lot of courage to get into a boxing ring at that level - especially at that weight.

We don't know if it was Wilder himself who declined the fight (if it was declined at all).

Well we do, he admitted it live in an interview, he couldn't get out of it because DAZN and Eddie Hearn made public what the deal was, the interview is on Youtube.

Also I'm not saying he's a coward in general, I'm talking specifically about the issue between him and AJ, he was calling out AJ for a year making out back and forth who was avoiding who, so when AJ finally came with an offer 3x as much as his original offer (they were going to do £40m for Wilder originally) then for him to blatantly turn down £100m was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in sports.

£100m and a chance to win all of the belts against a guy you've been saying was ducking you, AJ was at the table, why did he walk away?

There is no excuse which is why he barely gave one, no one could believe it.

DAZN and Hearn hanged him out to dry with that offer, he had nowhere to run.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing