The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:54 pm

The no knockout thing means I have no interest whatsoever. The whole reason tyson was great back in the day was that he was so aggressive that you expected a knockout.

Its the equivalent to nigel mansell coming out of retirement for a one off race but saying he'll not go over 60 mph.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:08 pm

Tbf Roy's chin is so shot Tyson can knock him out without meaning to.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Not excited at all.

It's actually a bigger circus fight than Tito Ortiz vs Chuck Liddell 3 because of the ridiculous rule set.

I was worried about it being a glorified exhibition but this is something worse.

I'll still stream it though.

I was tempted to pay for it but once I found out the rules they talked themselves out of a sale.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Jedi » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:28 am

Dubois needs to work on his head movement and boxing skills. He's too green and got schooled, but there's still potential there.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:02 am

Jedi wrote:Dubois needs to work on his head movement and boxing skills. He's too green and got schooled, but there's still potential there.

One loss means nothing, real fighters understand that.

This whole "you must be undefeated or your garbage" thing is some pussy hole modern day marketing you as a god letch thing.

Dubois could go on to be the goat for all we know but yeah from what im seeing he'll be a contender but the Aj's and Furys of the world will be too much for him.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:45 am

Worse than I expected.

It was a 16 minute fight and they were tied up in the clinch for about 6 of those minutes.

Ref is an asshole for allowing it.

You could tell Tyson was frustrated, Jones was doing all these cute lateral exits and dropping his guard but Mike no longer has the speed or footwork to cut the angle.

I don't think Tyson landed a single significant head shot though he did get off some nice body shots.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:55 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Worse than I expected.

It was a 16 minute fight and they were tied up in the clinch for about 6 of those minutes.

Tbh it didn't look like Roy Jones Jr. was capable of doing anything else. He looked like he was gone round 4 and onwards. And I feel like Tyson could have knocked him out easily if it was the real thing.

Was a fun event overall. Not that I would ever pay $50 for something like this (It was free on cable where I live) but I don't regret watching it at all.

The highlight of the night for me was Snoop Dogg's commentary:
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:16 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Worse than I expected.

You could tell Tyson was frustrated, Jones was doing all these cute lateral exits and dropping his guard but Mike no longer has the speed or footwork to cut the angle.

I don't think Tyson landed a single significant head shot though he did get off some nice body shots.

Glad I didn't bother to pay for it. The no knockout rule was in place to protect Roy.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:24 pm

I was alright with it because I didn't have you guys expectations, I knew about the "exhibition" status early so I knew it would be a bit like that, but ..............

What I enjoyed is getting some answers.

1) Prime Mike is beating Roy Jones, yes younger roy would of got some better shots in but he was struggling with the distance, Tysons come, dip, then punch, Roy couldn't stop it all night and all he could do was tie up, nothing in what I saw could make me think Prime Roy could withstand Prime Tyson, so it was nice to settle that one.

2) Mike still looks like he's got it, not for any championship run but for lower, easier fights, I saw enough explosive hard shots to see that he could still KO some lower grade HW's.

Roy was silly imo and even though he was my childhood hero I've not been impressed with his decision making since Tarver.

I set him up to fight Joe Calzage and he scored a 1st rd knock down and never capitlized, old Roy would of.
He's never adjusted his style for the weight which is a big mistake, that's why he gets so tired and he can't land hard shots, he's not 175lbs anymore, you can't dance around like tinker bell weighing 210lbs, the speed isn't there and neither is the mobility.

Tyson looked much better because he actually stripped right down to fight weight of 220lbs, he weighed that in 1997 ffs, very impressive.
Roy on the other hand 210lbs is the heaviest he's ever fought at he was only 193 lbs when he fought Ruiz for the HW title.

............ but he still thinks he can pop and move at 210 lbs?? Roy's never evolved, that's his issue and its why his style isn't aging well.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:54 pm

Prime Tyson beating prime Roy Jones was never a question that needed answering.

Roy is a natural MW and his only win at HW was against John Ruiz.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:49 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Prime Tyson beating prime Roy Jones was never a question that needed answering.

Roy is a natural MW and his only win at HW was against John Ruiz.

No but Roy was sounding out Tyson when Roy was in his prime, I always wondered what he was seeing ........... now we know.

Roy was fooling himself.

You can actually tell Roy is falling out of love with boxing now, it really showed in this fight, bad decisions do that.
Roy's style (which he refuses to adapt) relies on speed and mobility, he keeps taking fights heavier and heavier which is taking all that away from him.
He had an interview where he said "My trainer has spoke to me about changing my style but I want to fight the Roy Jones way, that's what I enjoy" ........... well then fight below 196 lbs then you idiot, you're a damn legend professional, you should know this!
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:38 pm

He has no business being in the ring so I hope he finally has fallen out of love with the sport.

If we're being honest he should've retired 10 years ago after he lost to Hopkins.

And yeah Roy's entire style was based on his unparalleled athletic ability, he never had good fundamentals because his speed and reflexes were otherworldly which allowed him to break all the rules and ignore boxing conventions (similar to young Ali).

That's why he started losing, his defence was predicated on his reaction time and once it slowed down he started getting caught.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Spence vs Garcia tonight
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:23 pm

Good fight, interesting to see how Spence will be after that car crash
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:42 am

Business as usual for Spence, he looks the same.

Same pressure, bodywork, jab, output.

Spence vs Crawford please
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing