The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:14 am

Marsbar100 wrote:Spence is a weight bully

Lol

More like all the welterweights are absolutely terrified of Spence and want no part of him.

Thurman, Porter and Danny Garcia are shook.

Crawford is the only elite welter who will fight him but it can't get made because of politics.

What do you want him to do?

Garcia called Spence out.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Why not move up? his record is average bar brook coming of a bad loss to GGG and then having to drain himself coming back down to MW, that wasn't Spence fault but his CV is not great.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Spence vs Garcia March 16th.

Wow, Mikey daring to be great.

This is the one thing I will actually give McGreggor respect for.

Before fighters in the UFC started going for the money fights, boxers were following the Mayweather model of trying to pad their records and only fighting people when they felt they definitely could win, boxers would avoid their nearest rivals for years.

But now Conor has shown the way, now all fighters have realised one thing, you can be undefeated all you want but fighters who are taking mega fights are making more money in one fight than those other guys have in their whole careers.

This is why boxing right now is better than it ever has been for the amount of big fights per year.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:29 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Why not move up? his record is average bar brook coming of a bad loss to GGG and then having to drain himself coming back down to MW, that wasn't Spence fault but his CV is not great.

Maybe he will, but why would he move up when he is the ruler of 147 and has his competition shaking in their boots?

He is in his prime and wants to unify the divison, moving up at this point doesn't make sense.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Wouldn't have a problem with it but his very big at the weight he could have chased charlo or hurd over the last 12 months, if he wants to make a statement
Marsbar100

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Yeah if a guy is a natural Welterweight he shouldn't have to move anywhere, especially fighting these LHW's draining themselves into MW etc.

Nothing wrong with conquering the division in your natural weight.

Going up means you risk ruining your record for no reason, that's the sort of fights you do for mega fights when you've done everything else.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Wouldn't have a problem with it but his very big at the weight he could have chased charlo or hurd over the last 12 months, if he wants to make a statement

So why didn't GGG ever move up? Is he a weight bully too?

Hagler never moved up and he is the MW GOAT.

Also, Charlo and Spence are friends and training partners, they have the same coach.

And funny that you mention Spence being a weight bully and then suggest he fight Hurd, who is absolutely massive for 154.

The statement Spence wants to make is being undisputed at 147 - his natural weight class.

What is wrong with that?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:16 pm

GGG isn't even a big MW, I always got the impression Spence and brook were really tight at 147 and could easily fight a weight above.

Tbh I understand Spence trying to stay at 147 as that is where the money fights are at but atm the way I see it is his resume isn't great and he easily could mix it in a weight above if he wanted, it's not great for his legacy so far.
Marsbar100

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:00 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Hagler never moved up and he is the MW GOAT.

Woah fk you talking about?

Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest MW of all time, wash your mouth out and Ray Leonard beat Hagler.

Hagler is top 3 MW of all time but Leonard prob takes 2nd although he really is a Welter weight so may not count and Ray is all time no1.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Debatable

Robinson is the pound for pound best ever and welterweight GOAT and my favorite ever, but Hagler is right there with him.

And I'm absolutely pissing myself at Leonard being the 2nd best MW ever.

He had like 5 fights at the weight.

He isn't even in contention on any list of best MWs ever.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Debatable

Robinson is the pound for pound best ever and welterweight GOAT and my favorite ever, but Hagler is right there with him.

And I'm absolutely pissing myself at Leonard being the 2nd best MW ever.

He had like 5 fights at the weight.

He isn't even in contention on any list of best MWs ever.

He had five fights at that weight and beat some of the best ever in Duran and your Hagler.

So if you regard Hagler as an all time great MW and Leonard beat him ............ how does that not equate to that? anyway I already mentioned Sugar's minimal time at that weight.

Ray Robinson would destroy Hagler ............ think of what Leonard did to him now imagine the same but with a fighter who has twice as much pop in their punches than Leonard.

It would be bad day for Hagler.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Duran was a natural LW and was a decade past his prime when he fought Leonard at MW, they both were.

"Think about what Leonard did to him?"

Have you even watched the fight?

Leonard didn't do any damage, it remains one of the most controversial decisions of all time.

Leonard won largely because he did better than what was expected, given that he came out of retirement, which means the judges gave him more credit than he deserved.

And even if Leonard had knocked Hagler out in 1 round, one big win at MW would not make him the 2nd best ever or even top 20 of all time.

He does not rank among the all time greats at that weight. Simple.

He has no legacy or reign to speak of at 160 besides one controversial win.

Also, no one would "destroy" Hagler, not even Robinson.

No one could beat Hagler with ease and he has probably the best chin of all time - KO proof.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Quote me where I said Leonard did damage?

.......... and I'll quote you where I stated that was exactly my argument, Leonard hit and moved on Hagler all night, now "imagine someone doing that with twice as much pop in their punches" i.e Robinson is actually what I said.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Leonard waited until the last 30 second of each round and then threw punches in flurries. His work was flashier and he was more active than Marvin which is why he won, it was his strategy to impress the judges with these tactics and it worked.

I, however, along with many others think Marvin should've won.

Like I said before, no one would "destroy" Hagler. He is an all time great with probably the best chin of all time.

He would have given Robinson all he could handle and made him work for the win.

You're using hyperbole because Robinsin is the best ever, but there are fighters who couldn't lace Hagler's boots who went all 15 rounds with Robinson.

I've read 4 different books on Robinson, I know he is the standard by which all other boxers are judged, but Hagler is a hellacious fight for anyone.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby quickeyg » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:56 pm

I'm looking forward to Deontay Wilder VS Tyson Fury fight - December 1st on BT Sport Box Office.
Gonna set my alarm for about 2:50am

Fury is in beast mode.

Who you picking to win and how?

quickeyg
Liam Brady

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing