The general boxing thread

Re: The general boxing thread

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:23 am

This is why I love the sweet science, it's about who is more cerebral.

Groves is a polished boxer, Eubank is an explosive athlete.

Eubank just winging wide shots from a mile away was embarrassing - I've never seen someone look so sloppy.

Groves made him look like an amateur.

At least we now know how Eubank will do against a true top level opponent.

Bonus -

Prince Naseem with the Ether -

https://streamable.com/1d3aq

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll:
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 am

After the first punch Groves gave him, his confidence was destroyed. Stick to punching the shit out of bags and impressing snapchat viewers, Eubank.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 am

jr has no footwork, he isn't young now so i don't know if will be able to improve that much
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Sims » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:52 am

Jr is f***ing rubbish
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:24 pm

The funny thing is that multi pad stand that he has, the one he obviously loves cause he's always on it I actually think has led him down the wrong path with false confidence.
Yes he looks great on it but my friend ........... what happens when the pads move and the targets not there lol?

He's great at unloading in close but he's not built like a brawler or has the skill set of one and that is his dilemma.

Gaissev and Chris both attack in the same range, Gassiev's skills and physical attributes to close his opponent down are far superior.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:30 pm

He has a better chance of turning fights into a brawl at middleweight as he will be the bigger man, although he still will have to work massively on his jab, head movement and footwork to have any chance against ggg, bjs or canelo.

Still though its boxing he needs to learn to box if he wants to have a really long career,
Marsbar100

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:37 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Gaissev and Chris both attack in the same range, Gassiev's skills and physical attributes to close his opponent down are far superior.

Gassiev also has crushing power, Eubank is pillow fisted.

Marsbar100 wrote:although he still will have to work massively on his jab, head movement and footwork to have any chance against ggg, bjs or canelo.

Jacobs and Charlo would beat him too.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Gaissev and Chris both attack in the same range, Gassiev's skills and physical attributes to close his opponent down are far superior.

Doesn't matter though because Eubank relies on accumulative damage through combo's, but there in lies a problem, usually a fighter who works in close will have one punch KO power or like a Gatti, will be tough enough to hunt you down head first, the best will have both i.e Gassiev.
Eubank does not come in head first because he's more of a boxer but he fights in close in the same space as a brawler.

Marsbar100 wrote:He has a better chance of turning fights into a brawl at middleweight as he will be the bigger man, although he still will have to work massively on his jab, head movement and footwork to have any chance against ggg, bjs or canelo.

Still though its boxing he needs to learn to box if he wants to have a really long career,

Def needs to go to MW and def needs to work on how to get inside, I think he should try a bit of Floyd Mayweather cover and roll then skip in with the hand speed, Floyd could make you come to him, then he'd pick you off.

Peoples default when someone gets out boxed is always to say "Work on the jab" but if you've boxed before you'll know that anyone with good reach and a jab "will use it" those of us who don't use our jabs (i.e myself) is because our reach isn't that great so you have to use alternative tactics, Eubank was never going to out jab the taller Groves.

I have to get inside of range and I was wincing watching Eubank fall apart, getting desperate and winging because he didn't know how.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 pm

The worst thing about Eubank is everyone acts like he's an up and coming prospect with potential.

He'll be 29 this year; he's older than Canelo.

Makes you realize he's really accomplished nothing in the grand scheme of things, his name is the only reason he's relevant.
Last edited by Va-Va-Voom on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:52 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

Doesn't matter though because Eubank relies on accumulative damage through combo's, but there in lies a problem, usually a fighter who works in close will have one punch KO power or like a Gatti, will be tough enough to hunt you down head first, the best will have both i.e Gassiev.
Eubank does not come in head first because he's more of a boxer but he fights in close in the same space as a brawler.

Marsbar100 wrote:He has a better chance of turning fights into a brawl at middleweight as he will be the bigger man, although he still will have to work massively on his jab, head movement and footwork to have any chance against ggg, bjs or canelo.

Def needs to go to MW and def needs to work on how to get inside, I think he should try a bit of Floyd Mayweather cover and roll then skip in with the hand speed, Floyd could make you come to him, then he'd pick you off.

Peoples default when someone gets out boxed is always to say "Work on the jab" but if you've boxed before you'll know that anyone with good reach and a jab "will use it" those of us who don't use our jabs (i.e myself) is because our reach isn't that great so you have to use alternative tactics, Eubank was never going to out jab the taller Groves.

I have to get inside of range and I was wincing watching Eubank fall apart, getting desperate and winging because he didn't know how.

He does have reach on ggg, bjs and canelo though, on the back foot he actually seemed defensively quite decent in previous fights, seemed like he knew how to weave and duck from punches and counter , obviously groves is a far higher calibre than previous opponents but maybe he would have had a better chance last night if he tried to frustrate groves for the first six rounds, tire him and then try take over the second half of the fight, instead of trying to out power and bully a more powerful stronger opponent.

Your right though his footwork is hideos, guy needs to go ballet classes it was that bad.
Marsbar100

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Massively exposed last night and the worst thing was is that Groves wasn't even that great.

Lost count of how many times Eubank went in for the combos but ended up hugging him. Let alone the windmills :BangHead:

It looks like he's back in training already. Still got time on his side but he needs to improve a lot.

SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:The worst thing about Eubank is everyone acts like he's an up and coming prospect with potential.

He'll be 29 this year; he's older than Canelo.

Makes you realize he's really accomplished nothing in the grand scheme of things, his name is the only reason he's relevant.

Yeah, tbf I was quite swept up in it until this fight and I started to see how it would unfold, I went from Eubank to win, then 50/50 then ....... I'd like Eubank to win but it doesn't look good, that happened especially after I went and watched the BJS fight and saw the similarities in BJS and Groves who both fight long, even though they punch different, they use the same tactics.

When you analyse his skill set there are glaring issues, especially against bigger guys who you can't power through if its all going pear shaped, that was the difference against BJS, Eubank forced his way closer, he couldn't do that and maintain composure against Groves.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:30 pm

theres no time on his side

hes in his late 20's and is seemingly refusing to ditch his f***ing mental dad
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:42 pm

Sims wrote:theres no time on his side

hes in his late 20's and is seemingly refusing to ditch his f***ing mental dad
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Yeah I was a bit disappointed by Chris Senior and the trainers comments.

They said their advice was "To go forward" but they obviously didn't teach him how unless their answer to move forward is to take the right hand counters he would've taken trying to do so, the only way he could go forward was to lunge in straight into a tie up which is no good for him either.

Anyone can tell you what to do ........ only good prepared coaches can show you how.

Groves trainer put them to shame.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Boxing