I'm sat watching the 90/91 season highlights

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

I'm sat watching the 90/91 season highlights

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:45 pm

and am thinking that is probably my favourite Arsenal squad of all time. I'd have been about 12 at the time and had just got into following football properly, they were the players I grew up supporting.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Re: I'm sat watching the 90/91 season highlights

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:51 pm

One defeat all season if i recall rightly? :think:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:53 pm

The Mrs has just made me turn it off so she can watch the bill! I got up to just after the Man Utd game where there was a big punch up.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:56 pm

I was very lucky to meet a lot of those guys when I was a kid, including Adams and Rocky.

What a team. :cloud9:
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Some argue that was the best team.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:01 pm

I was at Highbury with my dad to see that lot absolutely bum Coventry in the last game of the season and lift the trophy. I think it was 6 -1.

Absolutely insane day

:biggrin:
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby arseman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:26 pm

I think the 71 double team was better than that one....quite a statement considering I never saw them play :redface:
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:44 pm

arseman wrote:I think the 71 double team was better than that one....quite a statement considering I never saw them play :redface:

Wasn't born in that era, so don't know.
I thought the Invincibles were better than the 91 squad. Marginally. Great flair and steel to go with it.

Arsenal's 90/91 team only had liverpool as any real threat.

The 03/04 boys had to contend with Manure's champions from the previous season, a fast improving Chavs, Geordies who finished in the top 4 previously and a Scouse team looking to make a long awaited challenge.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Cheese » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:49 pm

The 1997/98 season was best team for me.
We had London pride, French flair, Dutch courage and English grit.
:hail:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Gunflash » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:13 am

I bought our 90/91 season video for just £4 a few years ago. What a bargain! That team was probably the most underrated of all our championship-winning sides in the last 20 years. The defence was solid (apart from the Lee Sharpe aberration) and we had some brilliant creative and attacking talent - Limpar, Davis, Merson, Rocastle, Smith, Campbell. That team was capable of playing some excellent attacking football, contradicting the traditional view of George Graham's Arsenal. Only one defeat in the league...they said it would never be beaten! Limpar said in an interview for an Arsenal book that it was this Arsenal team that "knocked Liverpool of their perch" but history has been rewritten to serve Ferguson's ends.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby gzagee » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:25 am

Gunflash wrote:I bought our 90/91 season video for just £4 a few years ago. What a bargain! That team was probably the most underrated of all our championship-winning sides in the last 20 years. The defence was solid (apart from the Lee Sharpe aberration) and we had some brilliant creative and attacking talent - Limpar, Davis, Merson, Rocastle, Smith, Campbell. That team was capable of playing some excellent attacking football, contradicting the traditional view of George Graham's Arsenal. Only one defeat in the league...they said it would never be beaten! Limpar said in an interview for an Arsenal book that it was this Arsenal team that "knocked Liverpool of their perch" but history has been rewritten to serve Ferguson's ends.

We could say were the ones who instigated their demise. But that along with Scouse coming to the end of their cycle was probably what did it. And I don't think their youth academy was really bringing anyone through quick enough to replace ageing players.

I can't think why we didn't win more championships with that squad. Maybe it was to do with the stingy wage structure...? I dunno, but we let go the likes of Rocky and Limpar and then others like Adams and Mers were drinking to excess. And then the Manure's and Leeds and Blackburns were attracting players on big contracts. Granted, we spent big on Wrighty and Seaman but I just don't understand why we never kicked on? Maybe it was pulling down and rebuilding the North Bank and the money they said it would cost. Was it around the £10-15m mark? Did the Bond Scheme thing have something to do with it?

I was a young teenager then so, I didn't (and still don't) understand the politics of our football club.
Maybe some with better memories and greater knowledge can answer that. :dontknow:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Libertine » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:12 pm

gzagee wrote:Arsenal's 90/91 team only had liverpool as any real threat.

I disagree with that mate.
Although Liverpool were "the" team to beat, Leeds, Man Utd and even the yids were also considered title challengers at the time.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gzagee » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:21 pm

Libertine wrote:
gzagee wrote:Arsenal's 90/91 team only had liverpool as any real threat.

I disagree with that mate.
Although Liverpool were "the" team to beat, Leeds, Man Utd and even the yids were also considered title challengers at the time.

But Liverpool apart, there wasn't much of a challenge. I know the results make it seem like that but, Manure were busy focusing on the CWC weren't they? And wasn't it Leeds' first or second season back in the First Div?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Hairymarble » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:59 am

A great team and season, yes 1 defeat in league all season and only let in 18 goals, the only team that we did not beat that year was the manky mob from down the road, 2 draws and a defeat at wembley.

For the poster (some reason I can't qoute posts) that said that Liverpool were the only threat you are right, but take a look at their (Liverpool's) honour list and you will see what a threat they were. Off the top of my head I think that they had won the title (other then 88-89) about 8 - 9 times on the spin plus a thew European cups thrown in as well.

Taken that on board you will understand and appreciate what a feat it was to wrestle the title from the Liverpool team of that era, it would be like taking it from Moan Utd these days. Also don't forget in them days clubs did not have the money that they have today, no 80k plus wages ok they did earn a decent crust but there was no sky money and WAGS etc
Hairymarble
Liam Brady

Postby gooneritis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:38 am

gzagee wrote:One defeat all season if i recall rightly? :think:

yeh, against chelsea.
ImageImage
gooneritis
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Next

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club