David Rocastle ~ Rocky

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

David Rocastle ~ Rocky

Postby SE13 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:19 am

David "Rocky" Rocastle.

02/05/1967 - 31/03/2001

Today marks the anniversary of the passing of one of Arsenals finest. David Rocastle was born and brought up in the same area as myself. Lewisham in South East London.

Rocky first joined Arsenal in 1983 as a school leaver. He broke into the first team in 1985, and was an instant hit with the supporters. During his career with Arsenal, he won first The League Cup in 1987, and The Title in 1989 and 1991, also racking up 14 caps at International level with England.

Why he was ever sold will be one of the mysteries that will bug everyone of my era forever. One can just still see his infectious smile, and remember the player who never looked flustered, had the pace and skill to upset even the finest midfield and defence of the time.

Rocky played 218 games for Arsenal, scoring 24 goals, but created numerous.

SGW has created an avatar and signature for all to use today. Click either image for the URL, and feel free to use the link from my host space.

David Rocastle. One of Arsenals finest. Gone but never forgotten.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: David Rocastle

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:02 am

I love this goal from Rocky against sp**s, i only wish i had seen him in an Arsenal shirt for myself.
From what i have seen old vids & youtube ect, i would have loved to have seen him play in the current Arsenal squad at his peak. Some amazing goals, the bloke had pace & always seemed to be smiling.

I envy those who were lucky enough to have watched him play, for those, memories that no doubt will be treasured forever, and even though today is a sad day in respect we should be celebrating his life, not mourning a loss.

RIP ROCKY.

She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby SE13 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:15 am

This compilation always brings a tear to the eye....

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Libertine » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:59 pm

I saw him make his debut against Newcastle at Highbury.
A dour 0-0 draw but Rocky shone.

RIP
A top player and a gentleman.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cheese » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:02 pm

:cry: I never got to see him play, oh how i wish i could have though.

A very sad loss at such a young age and i can't believe this is the 7th anniversary already.

R.I.P Rocky.

:toast: A toast to the great man.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:02 pm

Libertine wrote:I saw him make his debut against Newcastle at Highbury.

RIP

Hey welcome back Libs, you back home yet?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:16 pm

Anybody have a video of THAT goal at anfield?

Love that goal... love the man...
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:45 pm

RIP

Great to see you back hun, missed ya! ;)

Leody im looking for a clip of that myself it could well be in some compilation vids.
If i find it before you ill post it up.

Suprised this thread has not generated more interest. :(
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:57 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:

RIP

Great to see you back hun, missed ya! ;)

Leody im looking for a clip of that myself it could well be in some compilation vids.
If i find it before you ill post it up.

Suprised this thread has not generated more interest. :(

He bounced around a few clubs when he started having his injury problems, so a lot of newer Gooners probably don't know who he was.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Leody » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:43 pm

I was 8 when he scored the 2nd goal at Anfield and I still know who he was. I didn't even start following Arsenal till I was like 18 (so 1998-99). That was YEARS after Rocastle was gone, but I still know who he was. Back in the 80s and early 90s it was impossible to get games on TV over here in the States so I never even saw him play a game live.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:47 pm

Leody wrote:I was 8 when he scored the 2nd goal at Anfield and I still know who he was. I didn't even start following Arsenal till I was like 18 (so 1998-99). That was YEARS after Rocastle was gone, but I still know who he was. Back in the 80s and early 90s it was impossible to get games on TV over here in the States so I never even saw him play a game live.

Lol I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, I was just speaking in general terms. We didn't exactly play the most beautiful football ever under George Graham, so even a player of Rocky's skill got overlooked.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Leody » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am

Fabrestuta wrote:
Leody wrote:I was 8 when he scored the 2nd goal at Anfield and I still know who he was. I didn't even start following Arsenal till I was like 18 (so 1998-99). That was YEARS after Rocastle was gone, but I still know who he was. Back in the 80s and early 90s it was impossible to get games on TV over here in the States so I never even saw him play a game live.

Lol I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, I was just speaking in general terms. We didn't exactly play the most beautiful football ever under George Graham, so even a player of Rocky's skill got overlooked.

I know you weren't I was just making a point that age shouldn't be an excuse is all. I am a bit more than your "average" supporter though. I will go out of my way to find things about Arsenal and read up on the history. I would LOVE to buy that Arsenal Opus, but don't have an insane amount of money just sitting around. I would buy it just for all the information in it, not the "investment" they try to sell it as.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:12 am

Leody wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:

I know you weren't I was just making a point that age shouldn't be an excuse is all. I am a bit more than your "average" supporter though. I will go out of my way to find things about Arsenal and read up on the history. I would LOVE to buy that Arsenal Opus, but don't have an insane amount of money just sitting around. I would buy it just for all the information in it, not the "investment" they try to sell it as.

I understand Leody, and I didn't mean that because you didn't see Arsenal while Rocky was playing that you weren't a "true" supporter. If I gave that impression I'm sorry.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Leody » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:14 am

Not at all mate, not at all...

I'm just agreeing with you more than anything. I'm as surprised as you are that more people don't know about Rocky.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby SE13 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:36 am

Leody wrote:Anybody have a video of THAT goal at anfield?

Love that goal... love the man...

If you mean the one in The League Cup, it's in the compilation video I posted further up the thread. The one where the ball flew in at about six hundred miles an hour!

RIP

Me and you both! I had the pleasure from the noisebox known as The North Bank. Rocky always had time for us packed in behind that goal!

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Next

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club