David Dein, Former Vice-Chairman

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

David Dein, Former Vice-Chairman

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:47 pm

LINK

LONDON: David Dein quit as vice chairman and director of Arsenal on Wednesday after falling out with other members of the board.

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood thanked Dein for his services to the club, but said he would leave with immediate effect.

"We sincerely regret that irreconcilable differences between Mr. Dein and the rest of the board have necessitated a parting of the ways," Hill-Wood said in a statement.

Hill-Wood did not elaborate on the reasons, but the statement referred to American businessman Stan Kroenke's recent purchase of 11.26 percent of Arsenal. British media reported that was the reason for Dein leaving.

Hill-Wood had earlier said he was "horrified" at the thought of selling Arsenal to an American. Premier League clubs Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool are all owned by foreigners.

"They have entered into an agreement not to dispose of their shares for at least one year and have confirmed that they intend to retain their interests on the expiration of this period," the statement said.

Dein became a director at Highbury in 1983 and still owns 14.5 percent of its shares. He was instrumental in hiring Arsene Wenger as coach in 1996. Wenger has guided Arsenal to three Premier League titles, four FA Cups and the final of the 2006 Champions League.

Dein is also chairman of the G-14 group, which comprises European soccer's most powerful clubs.

Kroenke's purchase of shares this month has led to media speculation that Arsenal could be the next club after Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa to be owned by Americans.

If Kroenke obtains 30 percent of Arsenal's shares, he will be able to launch a takeover bid under London Stock Exchange rules.

Kroenke is a real estate developer who owns the NBA's Denver Nuggets, the NHL's Colorado Avalanche and the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer. He is also a co-owner of the NFL's St. Louis Rams.

In February, Kroenke Sports Enterprises announced it had formed a marketing alliance with Arsenal to exchange business, commercial and marketing information, and share coaching and training philosophies.

Hill-Wood, whose family association with Arsenal dates back to the 1920s, is firmly against a takeover. He said three key shareholders — Danny Fiszman, who has 24 percent of shares, Nina Bracewell-Smith (15.8 percent) and Richard Carr (4.35 percent) — had no intention of selling their stake.

"They are independently wealthy and do not need the money," Hill-Wood told The Guardian newspaper Wednesday. "Having a few extra million pounds in the bank is of no interest to them. We're here for Arsenal Football Club, not to make a few bob. We would be horrified to see it go across the Atlantic."

Did not see this one coming, im totally & utterly gobsmacked by this, Dein has given our club a tremendous service & im really sorry it has come to this.
Seeing as the disagreement is seemingly over the kroenke bloke, i cant see Dein selling his shares to him......or at least i hope he will not.

Ive highlighted part of the article, this is increasingly paving the way for a take-over.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby left right left » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:07 am

keep hearing that no shares will be sold for 12 months!!!! dont really no whats going on :?
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby rvtheace » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:21 am

Wow, what a surprise! Devious Dein has left Arsenal.

From what I understand from the article, Dein was more supportive of the takeover than the other members of the board?

More horrifying though, is the suggestion by soccernet that Arsene Wenger's future could be put in doubt by this development. Holy crap...
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CLS » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:07 am

WOW ,THAT WAS A BIG SHOCK HE IS (WAS) MY FAVORITE MEMBER OFF THE BOARD AND NOW THERE SAYING A POSSIBLE TAKEOVER COULD HAPPEN SOON
I DO BELEIVE ARSENE HAS A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH THE REST OF THE BOARD, BUT WILL THAT BE ENOUGH TO MAKE HIM STAY????
HE OWES DEIN A LOT FOR BRINGING HIM TO THE CLUB.
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby left right left » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:56 pm

things r gonna f**k up at arsenal big time :(
you mess and you get the knocked the f**k out baby!!!!!!
left right left
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CLS » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:40 pm

at the end of the day when the usa glazer took over utd every supporter in the uk thought ha ha the end of utd

but look at them now,fa cup ,champ league and top on the best league in the world with most of there depts now paid off ,i would say the best team they have had ,maybe on paper the best ever so tell me

could a takeover EVERbe a good thing???????

answers please
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby whee » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:03 pm

Pretty spasticated to let him walk really.

He wants the Yank to buy more shares, the other board members don't want it, yet.

So Dein leaves, i'm going to put £20 on him having sold Kroenke, a large chunk of his own shares within 12 months.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:23 am

CLS wrote:at the end of the day when the usa glazer took over utd every supporter in the uk thought ha ha the end of utd

but look at them now,fa cup ,champ league and top on the best league in the world with most of there depts now paid off ,i would say the best team they have had ,maybe on paper the best ever so tell me

could a takeover EVERbe a good thing???????

answers please

When Glazer took over the mancs, he brought with him alot of debt, so you can understand why people thought that, as well as why the utd supporters opposed the take-over. Utd were already a wealthy club with no if little debt, (in fact Utd are one of the richest teams in the world, and were pre-glazer) they did not need a take-over,it was not as if they were in financial difficulties like Chelsea pre-roman, so it was a big gamble, which luckily for them has paid off.

I dont think a take-over would be a bad thing, i'd prefer it if the heart of our club was kept English but in this day & age of Football, foreign investment seems to be the only way forward, Football has become a business, and the way things are going with all the oversees investments in the game, epitomises all that is wrong with the modern game, in the past few months excluding Utd & Chelsea we have seen others join the bandwagon, Liverpool, West Ham, Aston Villa & likely to be Man City as well as us.

I just dont trust Kroenke, we dont know his intentions nor his motives for wanting a slice of Arsenal, it could be a good thing, but its a gamble.

I found an interesting article last week, which ive linked below, Dein wanted the take-over & it seems his exit was over the board's refusal to comply, yet the board are now telling us they will not sell out in a 1yr.....ONE YEAR? thats nothing in terms of football nor business', now if they had said the next 5yrs it would have been re-assuring.

This Is London - Click here to read article.

What if Kroenke & Dein DO form an allegiance?
conspiracy theories?
Kroenke takes over Arsenal & brings back Dein...Wenger commits forever & everyone is Happy.......... ideal world huh?
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Re: Dein quits Arsenal

Postby prolific » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:22 pm

time to dig this out i think. Under David Dein 7 trophies, without him nothing but mugging/incompetence/schoolboy/out of touch/failure i could go on and on. time to bring Dein back or force bigger change by means of a takeover.. does it really have to get soo bad that it comes to that because the current lot don't know whats going on ?

fair few other threads on Dein to look back on...
search.php?keywords=Dein&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

something has to give. this current strategy isn't working or atleast the personnel in senior positions, funny how you can throw as much money at the bunch of them and still it fails... something missing and it doesn't take a genius to work out what that is!
You're Scared Of Change.
prolific
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zinc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:29 pm

I wonder if Dein could have done anything to stop his son from dismantling our squad by enabling every Arsenal player on his books to leave the club. The pattern seems like it was too strong for it to be a coincidence.
Massa wrote:Barely a goalscorer when he plays for Bayern
Zinc
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby prolific » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:32 pm

His sons pissed off at how the clubs treated his old man. I know its wrong, it pisses the hell out of me that players have left here, there and everywhere but life sometimes screws you. Move on or be left behind. The whole situation is wrong to be fair. Theres no winner!
You're Scared Of Change.
prolific
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Wenger is more to blame for players leaving than dein junior imo.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zinc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm not sure any of us can prove that he engineered their sales motivated purely by revenge, but if you believe that then what does it say about Dein that he didn't stop his son from doing it? Would someone who genuinely loves Arsenal let that happen? Dein got rich out of leaving this club too - hard to ignore that.

I'm not saying he wasn't good for the club while he was here, or that he wasn't forced out - I'm not really saying anything to be honest because I don't know the details or most of the facts.
Massa wrote:Barely a goalscorer when he plays for Bayern
Zinc
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Royal Gooner » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Zinc wrote:I'm not sure any of us can prove that he engineered their sales motivated purely by revenge, but if you believe that then what does it say about Dein that he didn't stop his son from doing it? Would someone who genuinely loves Arsenal let that happen? Dein got rich out of leaving this club too - hard to ignore that.

I think the principle is similar as when Alex Ferguson withdrew loanees from PNE because his son had been sacked as their manager. But I don't think that Dein is the type of person to do something that petty.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby prolific » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Dein jr. is an agent, he'll do whatever is in the best interest of the player. Dein didn't engineer much if you look at it but he got the ball rolling when time came to make moves.. thats what agents do. Yes these people have got rich, thats what happens when youre involved! jeez. Imagen having the pro's of the Deins onboard at Arsenal rather than out.
You're Scared Of Change.
prolific
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Next

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club