In Arsène We Trust ~ Victoria Concordia Crescit

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: In Arsène We Shall Always Trust ~ Victoria Concordia Cre

Postby VCC » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:19 pm

NovaGB wrote:I do wonder what Wenger could do with players like Pepe and Ceballos, i think he'd bring out the best in them.

Probably wouldnt have got either under AW we would have signed some embryo from France
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby NovaGB » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:37 pm

VCC wrote:
NovaGB wrote:I do wonder what Wenger could do with players like Pepe and Ceballos, i think he'd bring out the best in them.

Probably wouldnt have got either under AW we would have signed some embryo from France

I mean he was quite happy to sign players like Henry, Pires, Suker, Kanu, Overmars, Petit, Campbell etc who where all well known players and international stars.

The constant 'embryos' came after the stadium had to be funded, before that we would battle for top names in those 9 years from 97-06.

Yeah he signed a few, like Anelka etc but they were alongside other talents.

Anytime after would only ever be direct replacements.

Ie Auba replacing Sanchez, Ozil replacing Fabregas etc etc.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:27 am

VCC wrote:

I’d take embryos like van Persie and Fabregas over Ceballos and Pepe.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:28 am

It’s a shame Wenger didn’t gel with Mislintat. That could have been a great combo. Mislintat’s eye for spotting young talent, and Wenger’s ability in developing them.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby VCC » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:24 am

swipe right wrote:
VCC wrote:

Incidentally what happened to these Arsenal academy that were set up all over the planet ? Where is the fruits of these
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:27 am

VCC wrote:
swipe right wrote:
VCC wrote:

Incidentally what happened to these Arsenal academy that were set up all over the planet ? Where is the fruits of these

Saka is tearing it up in the premier league
Gnabry is Bayern’s leading player
Szczesny is starting for Juve
And many more are doing very well
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby VCC » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:40 am

swipe right wrote:
VCC wrote:
swipe right wrote:
VCC wrote:

Saka is tearing it up in the premier league
Gnabry is Bayern’s leading player
Szczesny is starting for Juve
And many more are doing very well

I thought we had started academy in africa and all over the place what are they developing
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Massa » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:23 am

Mikel is already doing that boss
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Ach » Sun May 10, 2020 2:31 pm

Tells you all you need to know about Wenger and why he surrounded himself with yes men
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby NovaGB » Fri May 15, 2020 4:42 pm

We'd be relegation battlers if he didn't take over, Rioch was sending us the same way as Bolton, the Wenger hate is unwarranted, there is nothing to back up the claims of most people.

The fact the man is hush hush and nobody has bad mouthed him from any of his eras, except maybe Lassana Diarra for promising him game time then not playing him, that means that any accusations are guess work, imo hes just a tight lipped guy who took on the backrooms bollocks.

The guy took us to places we wouldn't have dreamed off in George Grahams later years.

The way the majority here give him stick sounds like you didn't want those 17 trophies, unbeaten season, champions league final, and years of Henry, Pires, Vieira etc.

He pulled Bergkamp out of his shell also, he was gash under Rioch and was being slated in the media, with some saying John Hartson was the better player.

I remember my Aston Villa mate laughing at me at school because they were charging up the league with Tommy Johnson and Dwight Yorke, whilst we were in 12th with the likes of Glenn Helder, John Jensen and Chris Kiwomya, 4 years later, we where smashing the league with all of these french undiscovered superstars.

He did out stay his prime, he maybe loved us to much he didn't want to let go, but i still firmly believe that results faltered just after the stadium move and we were sourcing out obscure kids rather than the wonder kids he was buying before because we were skint.

By the time we caught up financially, teams like City and Chelsea where already buying every top player in Europe.

I think the Spuds will have similar problems now.
Last edited by NovaGB on Fri May 15, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Fri May 15, 2020 4:53 pm

We finished fifth under Rioch.

Bergkamp was gash look

Dear God
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby NovaGB » Fri May 15, 2020 4:55 pm

Ach wrote:We finished fifth under Rioch.

Bergkamp was gash look

Dear God

So we would have been better off with Bruce Rioch than Arsene? :rofll:

I said Bergkamp was gash under Rioch, not 'Bergkamp was gash'

Rioch was playing Bergkamp as a striker in a 352, Wenger dropped him behind the striker, under Rioch he took 7 games to score, he scored 11 in 33 games in total by the end of the season with zero assists

Wenger dropped him deeper and the rest is history.

Rioch played him like this

Bergkamp Wright
VieiraMerson
Platt
Winterburn Bould Adams Keown Dixon
Seaman

So..... Bergkamp wasn't making headlines in his first few months for being shit?, i remember it plain as day splashed over the back of the newspapers.

I mean it even says it on his wikipedia page.

I remember him clearly being bashed on Match of the day.

Bergkamp started to improve after that double against the Saints, but Wenger playing him a bit deeper in a 10 position was where he became the superstar that he was.

I remember clearly my mate at school telling me how much of a better signing Savo Milosovic was over Bergkamp, Savo being a number 9, and Bergkamp being deployed like one.

I remember the Utd fans saying they were so glad they did not go through the proposed swap deal involving Cantona and Bergkamp with Inter.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/pr ... ier-drogba

Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal)

Fellow Arsenal and Premier League legend Bergkamp also had a slow start to life in England following a big-money move from Inter Milan in 1995. After all, the Dutchman required seven league games to score his first goal for the club in a brace against Southampton. Such was his start that a newspaper even ran with one headline: “Bergy’s a waste of money.”

However, it was in 1997/98 – Arsene Wenger's first full season – where the Ice Man really started to display his brilliance. He scored 16 goals and assisted 11 more in 28 league games, as the Gunners went on to secure the double. The former Ajax star went on to become a centurion for the club, winning a further two league titles and three FA Cups.

Oh look Ach^ it says it right there mate.

I also remembered clearly that Rioch bought David Platt and played him as a anchor man in a 352 when he was a attacking midfielder, the guy was clueless.

I think you're just to young to remember mate.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Angelito » Fri May 15, 2020 5:26 pm

Never seen a set of supporters disrespect their greatest ever manager as is the case with Arsenal.

We already have a plague of pundits and co. underrating our players because of a weak-ass PR mechanism.

The future is bleak.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby NovaGB » Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Angelito wrote:Never seen a set of supporters disrespect their greatest ever manager as is the case with Arsenal.

We already have a plague of pundits and co. underrating our players because of a weak-ass PR mechanism.

The future is bleak.

Glad to see someone type something like this, the majority of our fans are shit.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Ach » Fri May 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Dear god.

Rioch took us from 12th and utter turmoil to a very respectable fifth. But apparently that's relegation form. there is no need for me to continue on cos that's just ripped apart your post but I'm bored

No rioch wasn't as good as Wenger, I never said he was. But he wasn't shit either. You obviously never saw him as you rely on articles from ages ago. I rely on what I saw as I was around then and not a stain on daddy's underpants.

As for Bergkamp, he was a striker at Ajax where I watched him play. You didn't. At inter where I watched him, you didn't and for the Dutch side. He did have a slow start but he got much better but apparently he was gash cos a spud thinks so. Yes he got better later on in his career but you clearly only saw him last few years of his career.

He didn't become a superstar when he joined us. He was already one. You wouldn't know cos he never saw him play in the 90s. It's a shame. A wonderful player and not gash you think. I bet you wish we had gone for Chris Armstrong. Look him up.

As for newspaper reports lol, I read one calling shevchenko a Milan flop cos he flopped at Chelsea. That's how serious I take your beloved reports.

Ultimately finishing fifth after finishing 12th the year before is a sign of relegation form. God help you son.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club