Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal,
or come in and read all about your beloved club Arsenal.

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby UFGN » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:18 am

Taylor Report clipped Highbury's wings

So we grew new wings
Oh he is awful..... but I like him!
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014
Member of the Year 2014
 
Posts: 16756
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby Angelito » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:22 am

Mesüt wrote:We started the build in 2004 just fyi


Talks started during the time Wenger came on board. We bought a site in Ashburton Grove in 2000. Construction began in 2004. It just doesn't happen that you wake up in 2004 and start building a stadium. ;)
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 23304
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby tazza40 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:37 pm

I dont think building a new stadium was wrong given how successful the team had become and the increasing fan base and TV revenue money. Sadly Dein going and getting Kronke involved in the club was were it all went horribly wrong. I dont think Wenger has ever gotten over his sacking and it messed his ability to win titles up. His reluctance to get someone like a director to replace Dein hasnt helped which is why he needs to clear off.
tazza40
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 11:08 am

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby greengoonerie » Tue May 30, 2017 3:36 pm

tazza40 wrote:I dont think building a new stadium was wrong given how successful the team had become and the increasing fan base and TV revenue money. Sadly Dein going and getting Kronke involved in the club was were it all went horribly wrong. I dont think Wenger has ever gotten over his sacking and it messed his ability to win titles up. His reluctance to get someone like a director to replace Dein hasnt helped which is why he needs to clear off.
:rofll: :rofll:

So Dein was the master tactician, not Wenger?

Wenger has positively flourished since Dein left as Dein was the only one who could rein in Wengers ego.

Do you think for a moment tht Wenger would have been allowed by players like Sanogo and the guy with the broken back if Dein was still here? Not a fkn chance.

Deins departure was a massive blow for Arsenal FC, but a massive boost for Arsene's power.
greengoonerie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am

Up to now the only real beneficiary of the new stadium is Stan Kroenke.

That will continue while he is the owner.
Image

Viva la revolución
User avatar
Phil71
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:33 am

Moving from a 38,000 to a 60,000 stadium gave us a massive revenue advantage over all but the 'billionaire's toys' .... add to that the commercial, social, media, and corporate upsides and it was a no-brainer ... we were well ahead of the game and the rest have since played catch up ...

But ... did we do it very well?

The finances? These were modeled on 2004 interest rates, wages, TV money, etc. when those all fundamentally changed we should have re-finance ... not doing so was a big miss ...

The design? This was a buggers muddle, what were the criteria? atmosphere? home end? facilities? nope ... it was all about corporate revenue ... this is a huge problem as it's almost impossible to fix ...

The other issues - ownership, management, players are not the fault of the stadium .....

West Ham are a joke ... but Spurs, and soon Chelsea and Everton, will have clearly learnt from our mistakes ...

Was it the right move - absolutely yes ... did we do it well? If we score the Emirates out of ten, it's maybe a five ... and on a project this big, and this important ... that's a pretty serious fail .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2452
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 am

And the only plans they have for the close season is an increase in size and re-design of the corporate seating and hospitality areas.
Image

Viva la revolución
User avatar
Phil71
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 pm

Phil71 wrote:And the only plans they have for the close season is an increase in size and re-design of the corporate seating and hospitality areas.


Increase in size being an added row to the prawn circle which won't change it much, but more for insecurity because t*ttenham's new urinal is close in size.
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8300
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby komayyamok » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Schlandi wrote:Back then the idea was shit and from todays point of view it was one of the worst timeframes they could have used to buy a new stadium. Arsenal wasted a lot of resources on all fronts instead they could have strengthen the strong team back then and became a major branding which would offer much better sponsoring deals aso today. Also with the money every PL team gets from the TV PhenQ Review contracts today they could have paid the stadium with a blink of an eye and don't tell me you couldn't have any idea that the TV money pool would raise significantly back then. Clubs like Tottenham who are (re)building their stadium right now have done great business compared to the Arsenal board.


It was the best time to make those move seriously
komayyamok
Liam Brady
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:45 pm

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby Arsene Nose » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:06 am

komayyamok wrote:
Schlandi wrote:Back then the idea was shit and from todays point of view it was one of the worst timeframes they could have used to buy a new stadium. Arsenal wasted a lot of resources on all fronts instead they could have strengthen the strong team back then and became a major branding which would offer much better sponsoring deals aso today. Also with the money every PL team gets from the TV PhenQ Review contracts today they could have paid the stadium with a blink of an eye and don't tell me you couldn't have any idea that the TV money pool would raise significantly back then. Clubs like Tottenham who are (re)building their stadium right now have done great business compared to the Arsenal board.


It was the best time to make those move seriously

Tottenham have not bought a single player this summer as they get ready to move into their new stadium. They have stalled.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5554
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:55 pm

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby Phil71 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 am

Arsene Nose wrote:
komayyamok wrote:
Schlandi wrote:Back then the idea was shit and from todays point of view it was one of the worst timeframes they could have used to buy a new stadium. Arsenal wasted a lot of resources on all fronts instead they could have strengthen the strong team back then and became a major branding which would offer much better sponsoring deals aso today. Also with the money every PL team gets from the TV PhenQ Review contracts today they could have paid the stadium with a blink of an eye and don't tell me you couldn't have any idea that the TV money pool would raise significantly back then. Clubs like Tottenham who are (re)building their stadium right now have done great business compared to the Arsenal board.


It was the best time to make those move seriously

Tottenham have not bought a single player this summer as they get ready to move into their new stadium. They have stalled.


They were always a bit tight.

Now they’ll become misers.
Image

Viva la revolución
User avatar
Phil71
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby Arsene Nose » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:19 am

Phil71 wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:
komayyamok wrote:
Schlandi wrote:Back then the idea was shit and from todays point of view it was one of the worst timeframes they could have used to buy a new stadium. Arsenal wasted a lot of resources on all fronts instead they could have strengthen the strong team back then and became a major branding which would offer much better sponsoring deals aso today. Also with the money every PL team gets from the TV PhenQ Review contracts today they could have paid the stadium with a blink of an eye and don't tell me you couldn't have any idea that the TV money pool would raise significantly back then. Clubs like Tottenham who are (re)building their stadium right now have done great business compared to the Arsenal board.


It was the best time to make those move seriously

Tottenham have not bought a single player this summer as they get ready to move into their new stadium. They have stalled.


They were always a bit tight.

Now they’ll become misers.

How the hell have they managed to hold on to Kane, Alli, Alde, Erickson, Vertongen, Lloris? It’s beyond me.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 5554
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:55 pm

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby Phil71 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:05 am

Arsene Nose wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:
komayyamok wrote:
Schlandi wrote:Back then the idea was shit and from todays point of view it was one of the worst timeframes they could have used to buy a new stadium. Arsenal wasted a lot of resources on all fronts instead they could have strengthen the strong team back then and became a major branding which would offer much better sponsoring deals aso today. Also with the money every PL team gets from the TV PhenQ Review contracts today they could have paid the stadium with a blink of an eye and don't tell me you couldn't have any idea that the TV money pool would raise significantly back then. Clubs like Tottenham who are (re)building their stadium right now have done great business compared to the Arsenal board.


It was the best time to make those move seriously

Tottenham have not bought a single player this summer as they get ready to move into their new stadium. They have stalled.


They were always a bit tight.

Now they’ll become misers.

How the hell have they managed to hold on to Kane, Alli, Alde, Erickson, Vertongen, Lloris? It’s beyond me.


Kane, Alli, Erickson and Lloris are all on long contracts. Their agents know full well that Levy is not someone they can manipulate easily, even if they did want to leave.

Vertongen and Aldeweireld are both out of contract at the end of the season I think, so that is a big risk. I guess they couldn't get what they wanted for them, and decided that keeping them to help them stay in the CL is more worthwhile. Tottenhamd are desperate for that. Without that money they'd be fked.
Image

Viva la revolución
User avatar
Phil71
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 am

↑ Alderweireld wanted an improved deal, boosting his £50k/week to a salay in excess of £100k.

Levy and co didn't agree, froze him out of the first team for the majority of last season and slapped a £55m price tag on him, which United failed to meet.

Yes his contract expires at the end of the season, but there is a clause in his contract that allows Spurs to extend his deal with an additional year without needing his 'consent' for a second time as these are the terms both parties agreed to when he was first signed.

Once this particular extension clause is triggered, a release clause of £25.4m becomes active.
Image
User avatar
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 28339
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:48 pm
Location: Gallia Belgica, 5 hours away from The Grove

Re: Was building a new stadium the right move for Arsenal?

Postby Phil71 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:33 am

Zenith wrote:Alderweireld wanted an improved deal, boosting his £50k/week to a salay in excess of £100k.

Levy and co didn't agree, froze him out of the first team for the majority of last season and slapped a £55m price tag on him, which United failed to meet.

Yes his contract expires at the end of the season, but there is a clause in his contract that allows Spurs to extend his deal with an additional year without needing his 'consent' for a second time as these are the terms both parties agreed to when he was first signed.

Once this particular extension clause is triggered, a release clause of £25.4m becomes active.


Well...either they ant to play with the big boys or they don't.

They won't last in the top four if they won't pay the money.
Image

Viva la revolución
User avatar
Phil71
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal FC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest