The Iceman ~ When God Walked Arsenal Turf

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

The Iceman ~ When God Walked Arsenal Turf

Postby rodney » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:04 am

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, so if its in the wrong place can a mod move it please.

My favourite player and I doubt I will ever love any footballer more than this guy. He was simply a genius and he is definitely the best player I have ever seen play football. He scored some of the greatest goals I have ever seen, he opened up defences with passes that were out of this world and he was such a skillful player. He wasn't flash like Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Quaresma but instead just had that skill and class that no one else had. He was just a different class here are some quotes:

Arsène Wenger also said about him after Arsenal's 3-1 win over West Bromwich Albion (April 16, 2006) that Bergkamp had:

"Intelligence and class. Class is of course, most of the time linked to what you can do with the ball, but the intelligence makes you use the technique in an efficient way. It's like somebody who has a big vocabulary but he doesn't say intelligent words, and somebody who has a big vocabulary but he can talk intelligently, and that's what Dennis is all about. What he does, there's always a head and always a brain. And his technique allows him to do what he sees, and what he decides to do."[4]

Bergkamp's former strike partner Thierry Henry praised the Dutchman after his last game for the club:

"Dennis is the best player I have ever played with as a partner. It is a dream for a striker to have him in the team with you." [5]

Arsenal Legend Ian Wright said of Bergkamp:

"He's the messiah. We told him to get us into Europe when he joined and that's exactly what he did."

From the clubs greatest manager and two of his three strike partners during his time at the club. Thierry and Dennis were the dream partnership and I doubt we will ever see a greater partnership at the club than Thierry and Dennis. He also linked so well with Freddie during his time at the club this was perfectly sumed up Freddie's goal against Juve. The skill from Dennis to set him up was pure magic.

Some of my personal favourite moments from the great man were against Leicester when he scored two of his 3 goals of the season. The goal to complete his hat-rick was simply amazing the touch and finish were out of this world. His goal against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League was something special as well. That amazing turn against Newcastle. The 7-0 thrashing of Everton that night he was out of this world and created 5 of the goals I think it was and scored one himself. The atmosphere at Highbury that night was simply amazing, as we attempted to persuade Wenger he was worth "one more year" His final goal against WBA sumed up Dennis a majestic finish curled into the top corner. I remember watching the World Cup quater final when he scored one of the greatest World Cup goals to win the game for the Dutch.

So anything you want to add feel free

:D

rodney
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Re: Dennis Bergkamp Tribute Thread

Postby arseman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:38 am

I think he was more than just a great player, what a wonderful role model he was too. Never saw any storeis about him turning up late for training, turning up drunk, smashing cars into lampposts, throwing his toys out of his pram for an extra 5 grand a week (sound familiar?) . His private life was exactly that - private. No posing for magazine cover pages, no gallivanting woth Tom Cruise etc. I think his testimonial was the first time that we saw his family in public. Just think how much the likes of Cesc, RVP and all the youngsters benefitted and learnt from his presence in the club.
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby arseman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:42 am

rodney wrote:Arsène Wenger also said about him after Arsenal's 3-1 win over West Bromwich Albion (April 16, 2006) that Bergkamp had:

"Intelligence and class. Class is of course, most of the time linked to what you can do with the ball, but the intelligence makes you use the technique in an efficient way. It's like somebody who has a big vocabulary but he doesn't say intelligent words, and somebody who has a big vocabulary but he can talk intelligently, and that's what Dennis is all about. What he does, there's always a head and always a brain. And his technique allows him to do what he sees, and what he decides to do."[4]

Bergkamp's former strike partner Thierry Henry praised the Dutchman after his last game for the club:

"Dennis is the best player I have ever played with as a partner. It is a dream for a striker to have him in the team with you." [5]

Arsenal Legend Ian Wright said of Bergkamp:

"He's the messiah. We told him to get us into Europe when he joined and that's exactly what he did."

some more...

"If Ryan Giggs is worth 20 million then Dennis Bergkamp is worth 100 million"

Marc Van Basten

"He'll be lucky if he scores 10 goals a season for Arsenal"

Inter president Massimo Moratti :goonergirlie:
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Dennis Bergkamp Tribute Thread

Postby SE13 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:44 am

So many great things have been said about the great man.

He was a joy to watch, sublime touches and creativity. There probably aren't enough words to describe him.

I'll have a look around for some more quotes later. I did see something once, but didn't bookmark it.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rvtheace » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:11 am

Great player! Always reliable, always respectable. Pure class. :arsenal:
rvtheace
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Libertine » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:02 am

Quite simply, the best player i have ever seen grace our shirt.

I found another few quotes too:

Peter Reid (after Bergkamp curled in a beauty at Roker Park):
"I started clapping myself, until i realised that i was Sunderland's manager"

Liam Brady (who was our best ever player before Bergkamp):
"I think without doubt that Dennis Bergkamp is the greatest player to have played for Arsenal in the last 30 years, for as long as i can remember."

And one from the great man himself:
"Other clubs never came into my thoughts once i knew Arsenal wanted to sign me." :flag:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:50 pm

If for nothing else, we should always thank Bruce Rioch for bring Dennis to Arsenal....well actually thats all we should thank him for.

Greatest player I have ever seen in red & white, and quite possibly one the greatest players of his generation. He played the game on a level that most footballers will never be able to comprehend. He was the last of the Dutch masters, and although there are players that were faster, better finishers, better passers, its unlikely we will see one who could do all those things like Bergkamp.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Libertine » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:59 am

Fabrestuta wrote:If for nothing else, we should always thank Bruce Rioch for bring Dennis to Arsenal....well actually thats all we should thank him for.

Bit harsh.
We did qualify for Europe through our league position under him. (first time in a few seasons)
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:If for nothing else, we should always thank Bruce Rioch for bring Dennis to Arsenal....well actually thats all we should thank him for.

Greatest player I have ever seen in red & white, and quite possibly one the greatest players of his generation. He played the game on a level that most footballers will never be able to comprehend. He was the last of the Dutch masters, and although there are players that were faster, better finishers, better passers, its unlikely we will see one who could do all those things like Bergkamp.

Who was a better passer....?
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:21 pm

^ Thats true but we were 6th and a long way off the pace weren't we? Arsenal was too big of a club for Rioch, he'd done ok with Bolton but he couldn't make that extra leap.

As for better passers than Bergkamp, I think Beckham was probably a better passer. He didn't have that daisy cutter of a pass that flew along one inch above the pitch that Dennis did, but he could pick out anyone from anywhere on the pitch. Different type of passers, but I'd have to give the edge on long balls to Beckham.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:01 pm

ahhhh the memories...Dennis Bergkamp! ImageImageImage My Hero! :005:

There are is not a bad thing anyone can say about the dutch master, he was the envy of all clubs, the best player to have ever graced an Arsenal shirt, nothing or no-one can compare nor should be compared to him.
The man was a genius, amazing footballing mind, skill, speed, (in his day) his loyalty to us was second to none, when Dennis said he wanted to retire at Arsenal he meant it, even taking paycuts to stay with us, although i dont think any of us would have begrudged him a move back to Ajax, but i swear if you cut him he would have bled red & white.
A perfect role model as already mentioned, a true Arsenal Legend.

I still rue the day Dennis finally hung up his boots, although i wasnt there at his testimonial, i doubt there was many dry eyes in the emirates that day...and what a fitting tribute to who i view as the greatest ever Arsenal player.

I often wonder what he is upto now, (most likely enjoying time out with his wife & family) id love to see him back in some capacity, even if it was just the odd appearance as a pundit, commenting on one of our games.

Just reading some posts here and recalling some of his fine displays for us gives me goosebumos & a lump in my throat.
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Libertine » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:20 pm

She_Gunner_Wales wrote:I often wonder what he is upto now

Sitting in his box (above Block 2) watching The Arsenal. :flag:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby YoungGooner07 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:38 pm

He is (a) GOD :trophy:
Last edited by YoungGooner07 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arsenal at Buckingham Palace
YoungGooner07
Michael Thomas

Postby arseman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:25 pm

Libertine wrote:
She_Gunner_Wales wrote:I often wonder what he is upto now

Sitting in his box (above Block 2) watching The Arsenal. :flag:

Bergkamp for future Arsenal manager anyone?

On second thoughts cough cough tony Adams cough....
arseman
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ScottishLass » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:37 pm

YoungGooner07 wrote:He is a GOD :trophy:

Rephrase that.. He is GOD :trophy:
ScottishLass
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Next

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club