The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal,
or come in and read all about your beloved club Arsenal.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Fenice » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:18 pm

LMAO wrote:
Losmeister wrote:so messi can drop deep to get on the ball when his team needs it but thats too much for ozil. eff that ish.


Gotta agree.


He’s been doing it for half of this season consistently. He wasn’t far forward last game because of it. Also, and I can’t stress this enough, Ozil isn’t Messi. Shocking, I know.
Image
User avatar
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7531
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby LMAO » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:40 pm

Fenice wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Losmeister wrote:so messi can drop deep to get on the ball when his team needs it but thats too much for ozil. eff that ish.


Gotta agree.


He’s been doing it for half of this season consistently. He wasn’t far forward last game because of it. Also, and I can’t stress this enough, Ozil isn’t Messi. Shocking, I know.


Think Los's point was that if dropping deep isn't beneath Messi, then it shouldn't be for Ozil. At least, that's how I interpreted it.
User avatar
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019
 
Posts: 9379
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Fenice » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:10 pm

LMAO wrote:
Fenice wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Losmeister wrote:so messi can drop deep to get on the ball when his team needs it but thats too much for ozil. eff that ish.


Gotta agree.


He’s been doing it for half of this season consistently. He wasn’t far forward last game because of it. Also, and I can’t stress this enough, Ozil isn’t Messi. Shocking, I know.


Think Los's point was that if dropping deep isn't beneath Messi, then it shouldn't be for Ozil. At least, that's how I interpreted it.


He’s been doing it. People just don’t seem to watch the games. Or they’re completely overlooking him changing his game to be deeper for more of the game to get and control the ball.

He doesn’t play as advanced as he used to.
Image
User avatar
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7531
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby swipe right » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:47 pm

Rofl laughing at people using Messi as a comparison. He just happens to be the greatest player ever. Aside from Messi, a ten is expected to play at the top of midfield and be the link with the strikers. Not drop back to pick the ball up from those two clowns because they can’t pass ten yards up the field.
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3051
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:16 am

Henry used to drop deep to get the ball all the time and he was a striker, not even a no.10.
User avatar
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015
 
Posts: 21860
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Losmeister » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:35 am

LMAO wrote:
Fenice wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Losmeister wrote:so messi can drop deep to get on the ball when his team needs it but thats too much for ozil. eff that ish.


Gotta agree.


He’s been doing it for half of this season consistently. He wasn’t far forward last game because of it. Also, and I can’t stress this enough, Ozil isn’t Messi. Shocking, I know.


Think Los's point was that if dropping deep isn't beneath Messi, then it shouldn't be for Ozil. At least, that's how I interpreted it.


reading comprehension round here aint the best...
Image
User avatar
Losmeister
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 11057
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:16 am
Location: Cotati, California, USA

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Losmeister » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:37 am

anyway... he didnt show up much in the hilite package i watched...

how was his overall performance. from reading the Guardian MBM seemed decent.
Image
User avatar
Losmeister
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 11057
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:16 am
Location: Cotati, California, USA

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Henry used to drop deep to get the ball all the time and he was a striker, not even a no.10.

By all the time I think you mean once in a blue moon. It was hardly all the time. If you mean dropping deep to the halfway line. Ozil drops deep to pick up the ball from the defense when he cannot get on the ball further forwards.

Note he didn't have to do that against Napoli.
Last edited by theHotHead on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
theHotHead
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9993
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:34 am

Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Didn't do himself any favors in that game, not really surprised though.

Neither am I. When the team plays shit, ,guess what, so does Ozil.


Oh, so he takes his cue from the team weather to play well or not lol

To reiterate this point, the team played well, Ozil put in a MoTM performance alongside Ramsey and Torreira. This is how Ozil works, get players around him that complement his game and you get the best out of him. Had Laca and Auba showed up yesterday we could have scored 5 or more.
User avatar
theHotHead
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9993
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby StLGooner » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Losmeister wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
swipe right wrote:Here comes the usual scapegoating. Boring.



Exactly, whole team plays shit, lets blame the highest paid player. :rolleyes:

He actually wasn't as bad as others.


damnation by faint praise... a tried and true ozil defense


Not so much a defense, as it is just calling out hypocrites for always pointing fingers at Ozil instead of the players that actually played worse, or who were more responsible for the loss than him. If the rest of the team played well and he was the Achilles heal in the game, then by all means call him out. But it gets a bit embarrassing and knee jerk that when the team plays bad, we have to see these little whiny kids come to his thread and blame him. Win as a team, lose as a team.
Formerly ChVint22
User avatar
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 35987
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Nuggets » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:01 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Didn't do himself any favors in that game, not really surprised though.

Neither am I. When the team plays shit, ,guess what, so does Ozil.


Oh, so he takes his cue from the team weather to play well or not lol

To reiterate this point, the team played well, Ozil put in a MoTM performance alongside Ramsey and Torreira. This is how Ozil works, get players around him that complement his game and you get the best out of him. Had Laca and Auba showed up yesterday we could have scored 5 or more.


Can't argue with that.
Image
User avatar
Nuggets
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2016-17 Winner
 
Posts: 18777
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Sunny Turkey, now.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby aniym » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Ozil's numbers have been weak since Alexis and Giroud left. They will only get worse once Ramsey goes, since their play styles complement each other.

I'd want to get rid in the summer, but we can't have two starting mids leave in the same window.
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7853
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 am

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Losmeister » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:49 pm

motm? riiiiiiiight
Image
User avatar
Losmeister
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 11057
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:16 am
Location: Cotati, California, USA

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby theHotHead » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Who was better than him?
User avatar
theHotHead
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9993
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Sims » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:37 pm

I don’t think there was a standout

Him, Rambo and Lucas were all quality

Sokratis, Kos and AMN also very good
Image
User avatar
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016
 
Posts: 31724
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: East London

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal FC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest