The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: The Wizard of Özil

Postby swipe right » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:17 am

This season for Fener. 4 starts, 3 goals, 1 assist
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:09 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
Angelito wrote:Oh PG...

For most of his top level career, Ozil was the best attacking midfielder on this planet.
Cesc was better

Ahem?

You claimed that he seems to have spent his entire career looking for his 'way', but then have to resort to comparisons with one of the best midfielders in Premier League history? Seems quite a career for someone who seems to be always searching for his 'way'. ;)

LMAO wrote:If I were building a team around a player, I'd pick Cesc. If I were looking for an extra bit of oomph, I'd choose Ozil.

Interesting that you'd build a team around someone who "flopped" at Barcelona. :lipssealed:

Reiss wrote:His best work was for Madrid. He was def more suited to the Spanish league.

Fastest to 50 assists in Prem history before KdB broke that record. More suited to La Liga, you say?

If Ozil had van Persie up top instead of sexy Ollie, he'd have smashed Henry's assists record by quite some margin.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:12 pm

Angelito wrote:
LMAO wrote:If I were building a team around a player, I'd pick Cesc. If I were looking for an extra bit of oomph, I'd choose Ozil.

Interesting that you'd build a team around someone who "flopped" at Barcelona. :lipssealed:

Peak Cesc never played for Barca ;)
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Fran Solo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Reiss wrote:His best work was for Madrid. He was def more suited to the Spanish league.

Maybe, but Ozil, Sanchez and Giroud combo worked really well. Until Sanchez decided to move away I guess.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Revisionist history going in when it comes to Ozil.
He was one of the best players we have ever had. One of the most creative players in the history of the game.
His decision making and weight of pass was perhaps only bettered by Bergkamp in our history.
Cesc was also a great player - he was better than Ozil in terms of his awareness of what was around him (I always think of Cesc constantly busy and looking around him scanning the pitch before the ball ever came close to him), but Ozil's execution was better.
Two great players. Both tarnished their reputation at Arsenal somewhat. Cesc more so.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:06 am

Angelito wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:

For most of his top level career, Ozil was the best attacking midfielder on this planet.
Cesc was better

Ahem?

You claimed that he seems to have spent his entire career looking for his 'way', but then have to resort to comparisons with one of the best midfielders in Premier League history? Seems quite a career for someone who seems to be always searching for his 'way'. ;)

Fastest to 50 assists in Prem history before KdB broke that record. More suited to La Liga, you say?

If Ozil had van Persie up top instead of sexy Ollie, he'd have smashed Henry's assists record by quite some margin.

Would you say Cesc flopped at Barca? He was competing for a place against Xavi and Iniesta or playing a false 9 role but still managed to score 42 goals and 50 assists. He won La Liga and the domestic cup which is the same as what Ozil won for Real Madrid.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:32 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:

Cesc was better

Ahem?

Would you say Cesc flopped at Barca? He was competing for a place against Xavi and Iniesta or playing a false 9 role but still managed to score 42 goals and 50 assists. He won La Liga and the domestic cup which is the same as what Ozil won for Real Madrid.

Yes, he flopped at Barca.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:12 am

Reiss wrote:Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Absolutely.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:17 am

Ozil by a mile. It's not even close
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:27 am

Reiss wrote:I'd have Cesc over Ozil all day every day.

One gave us his all- his work ethic and drive can never be denied. The other had all the skills in the world but didn't have the drive.

Cesc for me as well. Could play as an 8 or 10 and we played some fantastic football despite the barren trophy run. It's a shame we didn't spend more on quality players whilst he was here.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:33 pm

Cesc all day
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:16 pm

Cesc was a great footballer and had the character many like. Often comes down to perception of the personality as opposed to the talent of the player in these x vs y comparisons.
Obviously Ozil was the better footballer, but Cesc is more popular, I guess.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:31 pm

Its a shame wenger deprived us of seeing them both together, 2 most creative players of this generation after messi, we would have cut teams open at will
Marsbar100

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:40 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Its a shame wenger deprived us of seeing them both together, 2 most creative players of this generation after messi, we would have cut teams open at will

I was always disappointed by the fact that we never saw Cesc and Rosicky play through the middle together or Cesc and Nasri.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:09 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Its a shame wenger deprived us of seeing them both together, 2 most creative players of this generation after messi, we would have cut teams open at will

I was always disappointed by the fact that we never saw Cesc and Rosicky play through the middle together or Cesc and Nasri.

That would have been great to see
Marsbar100

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club