The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Angelito wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:Ozil is no longer in the Arsenal squad ... until he is (and that's never happening) this thread is pointless.

Ozil is an Arsenal player. People can discuss any thing they want about him. Why is it burning a few people like you that people want to talk about him?

For those who think he's done and not needed here, fair play. And, it'd be wise not to indulge in a discussion revolving around Ozil.

If people think they would want to appreciate him, talk about him, they have the liberty to do so.

Simple as that.

He isn't now, not in any way but name.

I don't think a player who has been unregistered to play can even be called a "player" anymore, Arteta couldn't pick him to start a game even if he wanted to now, he's not in the squad, hence why I said we may as well be discussing Messi, he has more chance of playing for AFC than Ozil does.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:17 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:The only rationale I can think about dropping Ozil, is that Arteta wants to bypass the midfield entirely. He wants Luiz to hit long balls to Tierney, Bellerin etc and try and get them in behind the opposition defense. In such a scenario you would have absolutely no need for Ozil. It would make sense. But it’s scary if that’s his plan.

That is a scary thought. Nail on the head.

I don't care much for Ozil. Bigger issue for me is Arteta's vision for attacking football. Someone has to play between the lines but instead we saw 3 CM's split wide, all flat and not one getting forward. I worry about where and how he'd play Aouar if he had him.

Agreed.

I'll give Swipe that one at least, against Leicester it literally was Luiz chipping balls over the top straight into a parked bus of Leciester players, no wonder we didn't score.

Arteta funnily enough did mention that in his interview "We suffered a bit in the 2nd half when Luiz came off as his long balls were helping us".

Arteta needs to take a long hard look in the mirror this week, for the first time the fans of all shades can't get on board with what he's doing, even with the people who didn't like the 3-4-3 had to admit we were defensively sound and were winning games ........ now, there's nothing to like about this team whatsoever.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:19 pm

I think Arteta was given the choice of playing Ozil or having some money to spend.

So it was his decision in a way because he chose to leave him out and have the funds to bring in Partey and Gabriel. In my opinion he made the right choice.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby ag6789 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Unbelievable that Arsenal doesn't have good midfielders to do bssic stuff, like playing a proper forward pass. Even Ramsey or Wilshere could have done a better job and play between the lines than what we see now. It was the first thing Wenget would looked for or taught his players.
Arteta, after his stint under Pep, should stressed on it and even put his foot down for it.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby themessiah » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:25 pm

ag6789 wrote:Unbelievable that Arsenal doesn't have good midfielders to do bssic stuff, like playing a proper forward pass. Even Ramsey or Wilshere could have done a better job and play between the lines than what we see now. It was the first thing Wenget would looked for or taught his players.
Arteta, after his stint under Pep, should stressed on it and even put his foot down for it.

One thing i liked about Ramsey is he opens up defences with his runs in behind from deep. We are missing that.

Anyway, Özil has had like 4 assists in 2 years so it’s not as if he was being a massive game changer when he was playing.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:47 pm

Partey could easily be our version of Yaya Toure and fill the void Ramsey left whilst adding more.

I believe he left Atletico because he also wanted to attack more and not just be a DM shield. He has the skills to attack and help us break through lines by carrying the ball.

What's disturbing about Sunday's game is the way all three of our CM's played as if they were DM's protecting the defence and split wide across the pitch. We morph in a 2-3-5 shape when in possession but but with the exception of Saka, nobody plays in between the lines either by instruction or ability. It's a totally different system compared to the 4-3-3 Pep plays.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:32 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Partey could easily be our version of Yaya Toure and fill the void Ramsey left whilst adding more.

I believe he left Atletico because he also wanted to attack more and not just be a DM shield. He has the skills to attack and help us break through lines by carrying the ball.

What's disturbing about Sunday's game is the way all three of our CM's played as if they were DM's protecting the defence and split wide across the pitch. We morph in a 2-3-5 shape when in possession but but with the exception of Saka, nobody plays in between the lines either by instruction or ability. It's a totally different system compared to the 4-3-3 Pep plays.

Its pretty simple (although saying this in the Ozil thread is the height of irony) we don't have the CAM's or CM's with the necessary creative vision or attacking prowess to break down defences and feed our ST's and Wingers.

As you say only Saka does it and he's not got the finished product required, damn right its not like Pep's 4-3-3 (Debruyne, Sterling and co) hence why we shouldn't be using it.

Arteta was made to look like an absolute b*tch against Leicester because how can he not know this? I knew it and was saying it all week.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:43 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:You just haven't got the point of my post, at all is the problem.

The point wasn't whether or not Ozil is or isn't needed in the team, the point is he's now not eligible for being in the team so what's the point of discussing it? its irrelevant.

I need a million bucks, but it ain't happening and neither is Ozil playing for AFC.

He's gone, even if Arteta "needed" him and it was proven, he hasn't been registered in either the Prem or Europa, he's a dead duck as of now, never coming back, so yes, Swipes post is the epitome of irrelevant.

Stating whether or not Arteta made a mistake is one thing, but its long done now, what's the point?

I got your point, but you missed mine. It doesn't matter that Ozil isn't in the team, people said the same when emery dropped Ozil, that didn't last long. And so what, if we want to continue to call for his inclusion we will do so, we don't need you and others telling us we shouldnb't discuss him anymore. Wenger isn't here and we still discuss him. You are welcome to stop discussing it but I won't until Ozil is no longer an Arsenal player.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:26 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:Ozil is no longer in the Arsenal squad ... until he is (and that's never happening) this thread is pointless.

Ozil is an Arsenal player. People can discuss any thing they want about him. Why is it burning a few people like you that people want to talk about him?

For those who think he's done and not needed here, fair play. And, it'd be wise not to indulge in a discussion revolving around Ozil.

If people think they would want to appreciate him, talk about him, they have the liberty to do so.

Simple as that.

He isn't now, not in any way but name.

I don't think a player who has been unregistered to play can even be called a "player" anymore, Arteta couldn't pick him to start a game even if he wanted to now, he's not in the squad, hence why I said we may as well be discussing Messi, he has more chance of playing for AFC than Ozil does.

Not true.
He can still play in the U23 team.
He is an Arsenal player.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:05 am

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:You just haven't got the point of my post, at all is the problem.

The point wasn't whether or not Ozil is or isn't needed in the team, the point is he's now not eligible for being in the team so what's the point of discussing it? its irrelevant.

I need a million bucks, but it ain't happening and neither is Ozil playing for AFC.

He's gone, even if Arteta "needed" him and it was proven, he hasn't been registered in either the Prem or Europa, he's a dead duck as of now, never coming back, so yes, Swipes post is the epitome of irrelevant.

Stating whether or not Arteta made a mistake is one thing, but its long done now, what's the point?

I got your point, but you missed mine. It doesn't matter that Ozil isn't in the team, people said the same when emery dropped Ozil, that didn't last long. And so what, if we want to continue to call for his inclusion we will do so, we don't need you and others telling us we shouldnb't discuss him anymore. Wenger isn't here and we still discuss him. You are welcome to stop discussing it but I won't until Ozil is no longer an Arsenal player.

Exactly .......... he's not an Arsenal player anymore.

Like, literally, Arteta couldn't play him even if he had a gun to his head, he didn't register Ozil to play this season, meaning he'll never play a game till his contract expires.

At the very most he's like an Arsenal employee who's not actually working but he's not a player, players were registered so they can actually go on a football pitch.

jayramfootball wrote:Not true.
He can still play in the U23 team.
He is an Arsenal player.

Oh silly me, what was I thinking. :dontknow:

Worst rebuttal ever because you know damn well we're all talking about the Senior team.

His AFC Senior career is officially finished, there, that's clarified.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:14 am

Can we merge this thread with the u23
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:06 am

Ozil was punished for standing up to the club on China and the wage cut. They wanted to make an example of him so others stayed in line. It’s similar to what United did to Keane. When Keane was passed his best, Gill and SAF wanted to clip his wings. So they tossed him under the bus for doing that mutv video. Would never have happened had Keane been in his prime. It’s the same with Ozil.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:12 am

Ozil being punished for his China comments is fake news.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:36 am

VCC wrote:Can we merge this thread with the u23

:rofll: :rofll: fkin hell.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:53 am

Phil71 wrote:I think Arteta was given the choice of playing Ozil or having some money to spend.

So it was his decision in a way because he chose to leave him out and have the funds to bring in Partey and Gabriel. In my opinion he made the right choice.

Why would that be the case, it’s not like we make loads of money from Ozil not playing.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club