The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby StockGooner » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:13 pm

theHotHead wrote:
StockGooner wrote:Or it could be two players both doing something extremely good. Why dig one out and take a shot?

Did you know about Ozil's actions ? Neither did most of the world. Thats the point being made.

Sorry, but what's your point here?

I didn't take away from Ozil's achievments in any way shape or form. I was responding to people saying Ozil wasn't getting as much attention as Rashford and somehow that was Rashford's fault. My take is it's two players doing some good in the wider world and it's nice to see.
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby starmandb » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:08 pm

swipe right wrote:
VCC wrote:Had Ozil played today, and made a couple of passes there are a few in this thread that would have lauded the 1st win at utd in 14 years a monumental achievement for Ozil.
Those are the ones coming out with every excuse to play down the result and the movement forward the squad is making.

Support the team and for you Ozil fans let's hope he can earn a start in the U23 and develop

We won on a penalty. As Roy Keane said, let’s not pretend that Arsenal are Bayern Munich all of a sudden.

Hang on
So when Bayern Munich won in cologne on Saturday thanks to a penalty from Thomas Muller
Does that mean they are not Bayern Munich anymore?
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Losmeister » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:33 pm

seeing el neny press in the 91st minute is why Ozil will never wear the badge again
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:57 pm

StockGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
StockGooner wrote:Or it could be two players both doing something extremely good. Why dig one out and take a shot?

Did you know about Ozil's actions ? Neither did most of the world. Thats the point being made.

I didn't take away from Ozil's achievments in any way shape or form. I was responding to people saying Ozil wasn't getting as much attention as Rashford and somehow that was Rashford's fault. My take is it's two players doing some good in the wider world and it's nice to see.

I was in no way trying to belittle Rashford's good work, I simply highlighted the fact Rashford does something which ultimately was just talking and he is up for an MBE, Ozil does something which ultimately is dipping in his pockets for the same cause and nobody even knows about it.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:59 pm

Losmeister wrote:seeing el neny press in the 91st minute is why Ozil will never wear the badge again

If football was all about running we would be scouting at track meets. But its not, so we don't.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:51 am

theHotHead wrote:
Losmeister wrote:seeing el neny press in the 91st minute is why Ozil will never wear the badge again

If football was all about running we would be scouting at track meets. But its not, so we don't.

Welbeck and Walcott spring to mind not much footballing talent there, it was all about the pace
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:10 am

VCC wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Welbeck and Walcott spring to mind not much footballing talent there, it was all about the pace

Walcott scored a 100 goals for us. Respect
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:48 am

swipe right wrote:
VCC wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

How long did it take him ?
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:09 am

Nuggets wrote:
swipe right wrote:
VCC wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

How long did it take him ?

It took a while but how many other non strikers scored over 100 goals for us?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:38 am

10 years?

Well 9 and a half seeing he didn't play for half a season after he joined.

Excellent player. A shame we never got to see him and Ozil at full flow.

To be mentioned in the same sentence as welbeck, dear God. One is an Emirates legend. The other isn't even the best footballer in his house
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:52 am

Theo was an excellent outlet. He opened up the play for so many CFs. Ade, RVP, Giroud all benefited from his runs. We could do with a direct player like him.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:29 pm

VCC wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Aye, I can agree with that to a point.

Theo as a winger - wank
Theo as an outside forward - good.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StockGooner » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:04 pm

theHotHead wrote:
StockGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

I was in no way trying to belittle Rashford's good work, I simply highlighted the fact Rashford does something which ultimately was just talking and he is up for an MBE, Ozil does something which ultimately is dipping in his pockets for the same cause and nobody even knows about it.

Firstly, I agree with you on Rashford. Getting an MBE for this I don't think is irght in any way. Not his fault, but it seems they are placating the footballing nation and diminishing the value of these stauses.

Secondly, on Ozil. What about when going on to social media saying how he'll cover Gunnersaurus' wages. Was that an example of nobody knowing about it? Was that not digging the club out without the full story being known? I will be the first to say Ozil's charitable nature is to be absolutely applauded, no quesiton. but don't petend he doesn't get a photo op out of them as well.

Will also say the club does have a lot to be held to account for recently, not denying that.
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:44 pm

Ach wrote:10 years?

Well 9 and a half seeing he didn't play for half a season after he joined.

Excellent player. A shame we never got to see him and Ozil at full flow.

To be mentioned in the same sentence as welbeck, dear God. One is an Emirates legend. The other isn't even the best footballer in his house

Theo didn't play at all from around Jan 2014 - Jan 2015. Right after he had his best ever year with 38 G+A. We still haven't really replaced him.

For me, Pepe will be worth £72m if he can produce the season Theo did in 2012/13.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:49 am

I thought theo never ever used his best asset, and to be fair on Theo AW had no clue how to use him either. I have always wondered if he had played for utd under Ferguson would his numbers be similar, at least he would have been schooled to shoot at Utd
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club