The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby swipe right » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:57 pm

Makes a good point about Arteta’s last two years as a player.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:05 am

Irony is Arteta and Edu’s playing careers were no where as illustrious as Ozil’s. Yet they are now in a position to criticize him.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gamechannel » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:13 am

swipe right wrote:Irony is Arteta and Edu’s playing careers were no where as illustrious as Ozil’s. Yet they are now in a position to criticize him.

Thats kinda unfair to Arteta and Edu though. Most successful coaches were terrible to mediocre players. SAF, Wenger, Mourinho (who wasn't even a player), Conte, Pelligrini, Ancelotti, AVB, Klopp et al are some examples. Conversely, some great players have made equally terrible managers. Very few examples of great players turning into great managers.

By your analogy, no manager will ever be able to manage a squad and bench players unless he himself was an equal or better play in his playing days. Thats not how it works and rightfully so. A manager is the final authority, regardless of how good or bad he was as a player.

Ozil's agent does make a good point of Arteta living off wages without doing much in training or on the pitch but thats on Wenger being a classy guy. You can't expect Arteta to behave with the same class as modern managers don't have the same rope Wenger had. Arteta feels he can win with playing a defensive game. Let him try that and put his money where his mouth is. In time we will all find out if his arrogance pays of or if he joins Emery on the firing line.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Nuggets » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:38 am

He is acting like a spoilt child who lost his toys, why doesn't he leave, the reason might be he just loves the drama and playing the victim. FFS grow up and move on you are not wanted at the club so GO.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby swipe right » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:01 am

gamechannel wrote:
swipe right wrote:Irony is Arteta and Edu’s playing careers were no where as illustrious as Ozil’s. Yet they are now in a position to criticize him.

Thats kinda unfair to Arteta and Edu though. Most successful coaches were terrible to mediocre players. SAF, Wenger, Mourinho (who wasn't even a player), Conte, Pelligrini, Ancelotti, AVB, Klopp et al are some examples. Conversely, some great players have made equally terrible managers. Very few examples of great players turning into great managers.

By your analogy, no manager will ever be able to manage a squad and bench players unless he himself was an equal or better play in his playing days. Thats not how it works and rightfully so. A manager is the final authority, regardless of how good or bad he was as a player.

Ozil's agent does make a good point of Arteta living off wages without doing much in training or on the pitch but thats on Wenger being a classy guy. You can't expect Arteta to behave with the same class as modern managers don't have the same rope Wenger had. Arteta feels he can win with playing a defensive game. Let him try that and put his money where his mouth is. In time we will all find out if his arrogance pays of or if he joins Emery on the firing line.

But Arteta isn’t a successful coach. Not yet at least.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:27 am

swipe right wrote:
gamechannel wrote:

and Ozil isn't a successful player. Not now at least
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:15 am

Ancelotti and conte were mediocre players?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:35 am

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:
gamechannel wrote:

and Ozil isn't a successful player. Not now at least

Ohhhh snap
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:10 am

Power n Glory wrote:It's an attempt to turn the fans on the club. The pitchforks are out. Not sure what the end goal is but fans need to remember who they support.

I support the club - not ANY individual inside the club, player or manager or boardroom suit. They, for the most part are just passing through. If there are rotten elements within the club, then I want them exposed and removed.

The Ozil situation is important.
The club leaked that he had refused to take a pay cut during Covid, but they didn't leak the whole story. They have treated Ozil incredibly poorly and from what I can see banned him from playing because he spoke out about genocide and refused that pay cut. That is appalling behaviour that I am happy Ozil is exposing.
I DO NOT support the individuals in the club that are doing this, they are shaming the club.
You think it's contentious now? Wait till ALL the details are spilt once Ozil leaves.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby keremistanbul » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:50 am

He is the second best player at the club after auba. Funny he is left out
keremistanbul
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:57 am

Arteta has been as fair to Ozil as he has been to Saliba and Martinelli, despite his protestations.

Ozil is far from blameless in this situation but Artetas poor handling of players is making come out looking bad in this situation.

He claims to give players a fair go and yet he’s undermined a 19 year old who hasn’t even had a chance to play and prove himself at the club, it’s frankly amateurish.

It’s fine criticising players when they don’t perform on the pitch, but don’t do so when you haven’t even given them a chance. Meanwhile Luiz and Xhaka continue to walk into the team, where the criticism of their performances?

And then there’s Martinelli a guy who performed majestically when he got the chance to play. Then after lockdown Arteta didn’t pick him, it stunk of bias against him.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Angelito » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:22 am

Looool. Of all people, Kia speaking sense.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby swipe right » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:02 am

Rayyo wrote:it's a tough one with ozil.

he has declined in quality but somehow still manages to get amongst the top of the stats charts at arsenal when he plays. does that show how good he still is or is it a reflection of how bad we are attacking wise? im leaning towards the latter.

personally ive never been a fan of players that do not give 100% and with him ive always felt that. especially in the modern game which has become so quick and tactical where you cant afford to have passengers. the nature of the game and the way tactics have evolved simply means teams have to press together and if they dont then the whole system breaks down. look at klopp's gengenpressing or the way guardiola's teams play... they wouldnt touch ozil because even though he has quality, they know they cannot afford to have passengers. mane was missing for one week and liverpool got smashed by villa. ask liverpool fans and they'll say it was because he was missing and it meant liverpool werent pressing from the front.

i do think it has become political though. he feels let down by the club over the years and the club have clearly had enough of him. i will say that he is very good at managing his social media, i mean offering to pay gunnersaurus' wages after he got the boot from a multi-million pound club was genius and made arsenal football club look very silly.

finally, i actually think mikel played it well when asked about his omission a few days ago. he took all the blame on himself instead of doing what previous managers have done which is to blame ozil, which only stokes the media.

Klopp’s been a manager for twenty years and all he’s won is two Bundesligas, one premier league and one champions league. I’m not saying he isn’t good. It’s just that not every player needs to be judged on his style alone.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:12 am

I think that’s part of the problem, the current ‘winning formula’ appears to be all about runners runners runners and pressing from the front as if it’s the only way to play. Works very well for Liverpool but Bayern don’t play with the same intensity and yet won it all last season with their quality.

End of the day quality players being played to their strengths will work. Whether that’s Ozil or any other player. I certainly wouldn’t want us to sign the current version of Ozil, but since we have him I think we have options to use him now we have Partey and it’s certainly political on the majority with his average performances being the lesser part of it imo.

Good post though Rayo :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:21 am

Rayyo wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Rayyo wrote:it's a tough one with ozil.

he has declined in quality but somehow still manages to get amongst the top of the stats charts at arsenal when he plays. does that show how good he still is or is it a reflection of how bad we are attacking wise? im leaning towards the latter.

personally ive never been a fan of players that do not give 100% and with him ive always felt that. especially in the modern game which has become so quick and tactical where you cant afford to have passengers. the nature of the game and the way tactics have evolved simply means teams have to press together and if they dont then the whole system breaks down. look at klopp's gengenpressing or the way guardiola's teams play... they wouldnt touch ozil because even though he has quality, they know they cannot afford to have passengers. mane was missing for one week and liverpool got smashed by villa. ask liverpool fans and they'll say it was because he was missing and it meant liverpool werent pressing from the front.

i do think it has become political though. he feels let down by the club over the years and the club have clearly had enough of him. i will say that he is very good at managing his social media, i mean offering to pay gunnersaurus' wages after he got the boot from a multi-million pound club was genius and made arsenal football club look very silly.

finally, i actually think mikel played it well when asked about his omission a few days ago. he took all the blame on himself instead of doing what previous managers have done which is to blame ozil, which only stokes the media.

Klopp’s been a manager for twenty years and all he’s won is two Bundesligas, one premier league and one champions league. I’m not saying he isn’t good. It’s just that not every player needs to be judged on his style alone.

if thats what you took away from my post then its probably best we leave it there.

Well what I took away is that Klopp would not value Ozil because he doesn’t press from the front and that is the measure of a players efforts. Am I wrong? Ozil consistently shows stats of being among the Arsenal players running the most per 90 mins so the accusation that he is lazy is unfounded. He would not fit into Klopp or Guardiolas plans but that doesn’t mean he’s a footballing pariah.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club