Laurent Koscielny ~ Lolo

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Laurent Koscielny (6)

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Santi wrote:Btw, quality headers from Ings regardless
Still think any semi-decent centre back would have been better positioned for those two headers. Kos will be watching videos of positioning for defending aerial balls all week [emoji38]
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Two goals came from the ball going over his head. If he had better positioning he'd be able to stop them. That has nothing to do with fitness or sharpness. I reckon you could stick 52 year old tony adams in the team and whilst he'd be unfit he'd have made those headers just from better positioning.

34 year old tony Adams was in the arsenal team that twice lost the lead at Southampton to lose 3-2 in 2001
Did a league and cup double the next season
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Byron Gomez wrote:I'm not being a hater but he's always been poor for us in crunch games.

Like when he equalised in the fa cup final v hull ?
starmandb

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 am

Kos is not part of our future, needs must today and he stepped up, but all the failings of a 32 year old, long term injured, slow, defender were obvious for all to see ... and this was Southampton who have managed less than a goal a game ... fair play for effort but just no ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:54 am

starmandb wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:Two goals came from the ball going over his head. If he had better positioning he'd be able to stop them. That has nothing to do with fitness or sharpness. I reckon you could stick 52 year old tony adams in the team and whilst he'd be unfit he'd have made those headers just from better positioning.

34 year old tony Adams was in the arsenal team that twice lost the lead at Southampton to lose 3-2 in 2001
How many of those goals conceded were headers though?
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:13 am

He needs replacing now, father time has caught up with him, he was a bit of a liability before but now he is worse, thanks for the memories Kos.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Cannoner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:08 am

Tony_Adams wrote:
Santi wrote:Btw, quality headers from Ings regardless
Still think any semi-decent centre back would have been better positioned for those two headers. Kos will be watching videos of positioning for defending aerial balls all week [emoji38]

That comes down to being out for so long. I remember when I done my ligaments in and missed almost a year of football, the first few games I came back I was so off the pace and my reading of the game had deteriorated, which affected my positioning.

These things happen and as he sharpens it'll come naturally to him. Just bad luck we had 3 of our most consistent defenders out yesterday because ideally Kos would have been rested after playing on Thursday.
A new era.
Cannoner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Angelito » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Southampton CFs whenever they play against Arsenal.

From Reddit.

:rofll: :BangHead:

Santi wrote:Swear people love to hate on Kos and make him sound like a Notts County level defender. Poor game today but Leno equally at fault for the third if not more and Xhaka didn't help on the first, why is he watching Ings score and not going towards him :dontknow:

Mental this club really sometimes.

^
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:14 pm

Our fans are shit example 82716283717
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby BrunelGooner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:19 pm

I am going to say something that quite a lot of fans here probably won't like.

And I am not saying this to be reactionary because I was thinking this last season too even before he got injured.

At the risk of getting my head bitten off, here goes...

I think Koscielny is finished at the top level. He's a 33-year old centre half that relies on his pace and has come back from an 8 month lay off, after already having well-documented achilles problems for the last couple of seasons. He wasn't exactly stellar last season or the season before that, either.

The only way for Koscielny from this point is downhill.

He's been a tremendous servant to Arsenal Football Club. I know he is a fan favourite. He helped us win 3 FA Cups and ended our trophy drought, so he will always be a huge part of our history.

But we have no room or time for sentiment. We need better centre-half options than we currently have right now.

The only reliable centre-half in the team is Sokratis. Holding was doing well, but he's out for the season. Mustafi is erratic. And Koscielny isn't trustworthy anymore either. Mavrapanos looks promising, but he's still young and has suffered a long injury.

I'd look to slowly phase Kos out. He's even said that he wants to go back to France once his contract expires, so it's not like he has any intention of staying at Arsenal much longer anyway. For the time being, he can play in League Cup/FA Cup/Europa fixtures against dross/mediocre sides. But he cannot be trusted in bigger games or in the Premier League.

He has to be used as a last resort from here on in.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Kos is firmly squad level and that's fair given his age and injury layoff. I don't feel the 3rd goal was solely on him though.

To be fair, Kos was squad level last few years too, it's just that he was faster than Mertesacker and Mustafi which made him look better overall.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ESR10 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:27 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:I am going to say something that quite a lot of fans here probably won't like.

And I am not saying this to be reactionary because I was thinking this last season too even before he got injured.

At the risk of getting my head bitten off, here goes...

I think Koscielny is finished at the top level. He's a 33-year old centre half that relies on his pace and has come back from an 8 month lay off, after already having well-documented achilles problems for the last couple of seasons. He wasn't exactly stellar last season or the season before that, either.

The only way for Koscielny from this point is downhill.

He's been a tremendous servant to Arsenal Football Club. I know he is a fan favourite. He helped us win 3 FA Cups and ended our trophy drought, so he will always be a huge part of our history.

But we have no room or time for sentiment. We need better centre-half options than we currently have right now.

The only reliable centre-half in the team is Sokratis. Holding was doing well, but he's out for the season. Mustafi is erratic. And Koscielny isn't trustworthy anymore either. Mavrapanos looks promising, but he's still young and has suffered a long injury.

I'd look to slowly phase Kos out. He's even said that he wants to go back to France once his contract expires, so it's not like he has any intention of staying at Arsenal much longer anyway. For the time being, he can play in League Cup/FA Cup/Europa fixtures against dross/mediocre sides. But he cannot be trusted in bigger games or in the Premier League.

He has to be used as a last resort from here on in.

Couldnt agree more. I always liked Kos and he was great for us, but I don't think he is what we need right now. We have 30 year old Papa and hes good. We need another younger CB to pair him. Mustafi isn't the answer. Mavropanos might be the answer in the future, not so sure about this season. I do hope we get a quality CB in January.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Sims » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:03 pm

I don’t think anyone is arguing otherwise

To come back at the top level at 33 after a serious Achilles injury would be insane. Not to mention his performances were taking a hit last season too

I don’t think he was ever seen as a first choice CB this season, it’s just that needs must
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby starmandb » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:
starmandb wrote:

The second goal was a chip in the box that should have been dealt with better
The first was Grimandi having a clearance charged down
The third was a bit of a cracker from le tissier
Last goal at the dell
starmandb

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 pm

starmandb wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:
starmandb wrote:

The second goal was a chip in the box that should have been dealt with better
The first was Grimandi having a clearance charged down
The third was a bit of a cracker from le tissier
Last goal at the dell
So my point about the headers being poor positioning and that adams would have dealt with them still stands. But I appreciate the sentiment. :cheers:
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club