Bacary Sagna ~ Mr. Consistent

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Bacary Sagna ~ Mr. Consistent

Postby Massa » Thu May 29, 2014 4:48 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/

It’s no longer a secret, I will leave Arsenal for sure. They tried to make an effort, but the discussions have not gone in the direction I wished it. There are a lot of calls, a lot of speculation. Frankly, it gives headaches. I’ll sort it all out before the start of the World Cup.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Re: Bacary Sagna leaves Arsenal

Postby Santi » Thu May 29, 2014 4:50 pm

So bored of this now, just sign a rb wenger so we can forget about it.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Re: Bacary Sagna leaves Arsenal - Confirmed

Postby Sims » Thu May 29, 2014 5:03 pm

'Discussions not gone he direction we wished'. Sorry Bac, but we can't offer a 31 year old RB who we'd have to replace in <2 years 130k p/w.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Cripps » Thu May 29, 2014 5:07 pm

Bye
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Thu May 29, 2014 5:17 pm

Read "the discussions have not gone in the direction I wished it" as "they didn't give me the absurdly large contract the blokes with all that oil did".

I'm getting so sick of this shit now - just go and move on. The longer it drags on the more I dislike him.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu May 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Or could it be:

Bac: 'which striker are you signing this summer?'

Arsene: 'Giroud is world class, theo can play there too and is like a new signing, sanogo has snother year of experience'

Bac: Bye
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Thu May 29, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm sure that's what happened.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Callum » Thu May 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Plymöuth Gööner wrote:Or could it be:

Bac: 'which striker are you signing this summer?'

Arsene: 'Giroud is world class, theo can play there too and is like a new signing, sanogo has snother year of experience'

Bac: Bye

If that was the case why didn't Sagna leave years ago?

We've been selling our best players for years and he stuck around, now we actually won something and look to be on the up. By all accounts we just haven't matched City's huge offer.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Thu May 29, 2014 5:38 pm

And we'll never lose players for financial reasons again...

Sagna leaving torpedo's our summer, who next? Poldi? Vermaelen?

Fabianski has gone now so thats a class keeper needed. RB needed.

Then we need to fill at least three other positions before anyone else leaves.

And Wenger said what, 1-2 signings?

FA Cup or not Wenger is still giving us a masterclass in how to f**k up the base.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Sims » Thu May 29, 2014 5:41 pm

GunnGunn wrote:And we'll never lose players for financial reasons again...

FA Cup or not Wenger is still giving us a masterclass in how to f**k up the base.

No matter how hard you try and have a go at the club for letting Bac go, it makes f**k all sense to match a 130k p/w offer. No matter the principle of not losing players for financial reasons. Podolski and Vermaelen wouldn't be great losses, but I'm guessing everyone's ignored the fact that pretty much the entire first team apart from Bac signed long-term contract extensions in the past two seasons.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Callum » Thu May 29, 2014 5:41 pm

So when you say that we should never lose players due to financial reasons every again, you believe as a result we should pay players whatever they want just to keep them, no matter how inflated their demands are?

If it's true that he'll go and earn £120-50k p/w at City then I don't for a minute blame the club. We put three years and £90k p/w on the table and he turned it down - it happens. Being in a stronger position financially shouldn't mean players can hold the club to ransom over new contracts.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu May 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Sims wrote:

No matter how hard you try and have a go at the club for letting Bac go, it makes f**k all sense to match a 130k p/w offer. No matter the principle of not losing players for financial reasons. Podolski and Vermaelen wouldn't be great losses, but I'm guessing everyone's ignored the fact that pretty much the entire first team apart from Bac signed long-term contract extensions in the past two seasons.

Poldi and Vermaelen wouldn't be big losses if we replaced them. Okay, let's assume that they leave too, where does that leave us?

Replacements for Sagna, Podolski, Vermaelen, and Fabianski. That's 4 positions needed. On top of that, we need a ST and a DM. Good luck with that! There's no way Wenger is going to sign 6 players.

It would be simple if Wenger had a track record of doing the obvious. But Wenger never does that. If we lose Poldi, he'll say Wilshere can play there. I'd love to be proven wrong this summer but I can also see Wenger being the last person is doing what needs to be done.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Thu May 29, 2014 5:54 pm

Angelito wrote:Poldi and Vermaelen wouldn't be big losses if we replaced them. Okay, let's assume that they leave too, where does that leave us?

Replacements for Sagna, Podolski, Vermaelen, and Fabianski. That's 4 positions needed. On top of that, we need a ST and a DM. Good luck with that! There's no way Wenger is going to sign 6 players.

It would be simple if Wenger had a track record of doing the obvious. But Wenger never does that. If we lose Poldi, he'll say Wilshere can play there. I'd love to be proven wrong this summer but I can also see Wenger being the last person is doing what needs to be done.

I know Wenger doesn't like wholesale changes but he is capable of signing a number of players in one window - you say there's no way he's going to get six but he signed seven before the 2011/12 season.

Podolski also said recently that he wants to see out his contract at Arsenal and given his form towards the end of last season I don't think Wenger would want to move him on. I'm also not totally convinced Vermaelen will be off either as the situation doesn't look too clear cut.

At the moment we definitely need four signings - a goalkeeper, a right-back, a defensive midfielder and a striker. I really don't think it's that unlikely that we addressed all of those positions, and even if one of Podolski or Vermaelen left too it wouldn't be that crazy if Wenger bought five new players in.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Thu May 29, 2014 5:57 pm

And another one bites the dust!!
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Thu May 29, 2014 6:01 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:And another one bites the dust!!

Would you rather we had matched the £120-50k p/w, three year deal that City are supposedly offering then?

People are having a great time dishing out the whole "Arsenal unable to keep their best players" line again but this situation is markedly different from the likes of Nasri, van Persie and Fabregas. Sagna is 31 and out of contract and we don't want to give him an extortionate contract because some oil-rich club will - losing him is nothing like how we lost the three I mentioned who were all under contract at the club and we were desperate to keep them.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club