Anfield '89

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Anfield '89

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 pm

Ach wrote:Fever pitch bored the hell out of me tbh until the actual match was on.

Colin firth was one of those boring stuffy actors the Oscars love.

Then came kingsmen and his career blossomed

I think it's a film where you need to understand what it means to be a fan to really appreciate it.
Especially around that time.
Lot's of fans who only know Wenger don't really understand the club.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:10 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:Fever pitch bored the hell out of me tbh until the actual match was on.

I think it's a film where you need to understand what it means to be a fan to really appreciate it.

Makes sense.

It was a couple of years before my time as a gooner and a couple of decades before yours.

Only started supporting the Arsenal in 1990
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Ach wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Makes sense.

It was a couple of years before my time as a gooner and a couple of decades before yours.

Only started supporting the Arsenal in 1990

You see, when one started the Arsenal journey in the 70's as I did, you have a much better perspective of what it means to be not just an Arsenal fan but a football fan. You seem to have started following the team after the glory of 1989.. straight after in fact.... :shifty: Most of your football life has been under the cancer of Sky TV and big money. It's no wonder you can't connect with the something so perfectly Arsenal as the 89 season.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Yes I can't connect to something I was too young for. Shock horror.

Liverpool were champions when I became an arsenal fan so hardly straight after.

Also lol at being a fan since the 70s
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:16 pm

In 71 I was still 9 and can actually remember watching Charlie George score that goal in the cup final to win the double. That was the decade I followed Arsenal to as many games as I could get to, culminating in the 79 final v Manure. Still remember THAT game too. Went by myself and managed to buy a ticket from someone for £35, a fortune at the time, but worth every penny!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 pm

Rockape wrote:

In 71 I was still 9 and can actually remember watching Charlie George score that goal in the cup final to win the double. That was the decade I followed Arsenal to as many games as I could get to, culminating in the 79 final v Manure. Still remember THAT game too. Went by myself and managed to buy a ticket from someone for £35, a fortune at the time, but worth every penny!

Ive no doubt you are but our good friend Jay isn't.

His nketiah is better than Auba cos Auba is shit cos he scores goals is not the type of thing an older guy would preach.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Ach wrote:
Rockape wrote:

His nketiah is better than Auba cos Auba is shit cos he scores goals is not the type of thing an older guy would preach.

I actually said Nketiah has more talent than Auba. That is true.
When you've watched enough football, you can spot these things.
Auba is not shit by the way - he's just not that good. One of the worst 'star' strikers we have had for decades. Take '89 for example. Auba isn't fit to lace the boots of Alan Smith as a striker.
That said it has nothing to do with this discussion.
Your need to mention it says more about you.

Whether you choose to believe I have followed the Arsenal since the 70's is up to you. It matters not.
I will maintain though that not understanding what '89 was all about is really rather odd for an Arsenal fan.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 pm

That five years from 86 to 91 are my best times with Arsenal.

Just magical.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:17 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Auba is not shit by the way - he's just not that good. One of the worst 'star' strikers we have had for decades. Take '89 for example. Auba isn't fit to lace the boots of Alan Smith as a striker.

Whether you choose to believe I have followed the Arsenal since the 70's is up to you. It matters not.
I will maintain though that not understanding what '89 was all about is really rather odd for an Arsenal fan.

Dear god. The tears you shed from Auba humiliating you since he joined and your boy nketiah doing nothing for us is immense and you have the nerve to question me about anfield 89 when the likelihood is you have been a fan for a couple seasons is laughable.

Keep shedding those tears when our best striker keeps scoring. And please don't mention anfield 89 cos you know little about it.

All this cos I didn't like fever pitch. Dear god.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:20 pm

Ach wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Dear god. The tears you shed from Auba humiliating you since he joined and your boy nketiah doing nothing for us is immense and you have the nerve to question me about anfield 89 when the likelihood is you have been a fan for a couple seasons is laughable.

Keep shedding those tears when our best striker keeps scoring. And please don't mention anfield 89 cos you know little about it.

Auba's average goal return this year kind of proves he's average - like I said.
But really, son, when you've experienced a bit more football, get back to me.
:arse fan:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby NovaGB » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:11 pm

I was 8 in 89, so heard the screaming from my Brother but did not start paying much attention until the 1990 world cup semi dramas, kinda wish i experienced it though.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby NovaGB » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:14 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Ach wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Auba's average goal return this year kind of proves he's average - like I said.
But really, son, when you've experienced a bit more football, get back to me.
:arse fan:

15 from 24 games playing at least 20 of them on left wing as a inside forward with no supporting striker (Laca tryign to play that role but not natural), playing 2 x DMs no attacking play maker and no true winger?

I'd say the guy is a amazing finisher and could have scored double that if paired with the right players, not like this transitional period we are in right now.
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 pm

https://twitter.com/Stuart_PhotoAFC/sta ... 01409?s=09

How old does george graham look [emoji3525]
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Fri May 24, 2019 8:44 pm

I'm going to islington bar and grill
Holloway Road on Sunday
They have an event in there showing the whole game again
Plus the anfield 89 documentary
And a q&a with Perry groves and Martin Hayes
2 till 9-30
Might even go on the train so I can pin one on
My daughter works in there so she is getting me a belated birthday present
It's 30 quid
Bit lumpy but there is a buffet as well
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri May 24, 2019 8:48 pm

starmandb wrote:I'm going to islington bar and grill
Holloway Road on Sunday
They have an event in there showing the whole game again
Plus the anfield 89 documentary
And a q&a with Perry groves and Martin Hayes
2 till 9-30
Might even go on the train so I can pin one on
My daughter works in there so she is getting me a belated birthday present
It's 30 quid
Bit lumpy but there is a buffet as well
Really wish i lived closer to london. Have a young family now so am unlikely to get up until my kids are older.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club