Anfield '89

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Anfield '89

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:19 am

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/footb ... 3873782708

The former Arsenal trio of Michael Thomas, Nigel Winterburn and Perry Groves, and Liverpool’s Steve Staunton re-live the title-decider at Anfield back in 1989

“It’s football’s JFK moment - everyone remembers where they were for that goal,” chuckles Michael Thomas.

Twenty five years might have passed, but there’s not a day that goes by without him being asked about his starring role in football’s most thrilling final scene.
Liverpool and Arsenal met at Anfield on Friday May 26th in the final game of the 1988/9 season.

Each had a chance of winning the title, but the portents were not good for the Gunners – they had to win by two clear goals to be champions.
What followed has gone down in football folklore.

BT Sport gathered together Arsenal trio Thomas, Nigel Winterburn and Perry Groves, and Liverpool’s Steve Staunton, to relive their memories of that famous evening:

Mission impossible:

Liverpool beat West Ham 5-1 at Anfield on Wednesday May 23rd, meaning Arsenal would have to beat Liverpool by two clear goals to claim the League title. The portents were not good for the Londoners.

Liverpool were unbeaten since January 2nd, having won 21 of their 24 games since then. Arsenal hadn’t scored two goals at Anfield since 1974 and had lost their last seven games there.

Groves: We went in for training at London Colney on the Thursday. George Graham got us together in the changing room and said: “I’ve got a good feeling about this, I think we can do it.”

We went out for our warm-up with (assistant manager) Theo Foley and were looking at each other, saying “has George gone mad?”

He was the only one who had that belief we could do it.

Up to Anfield:

Arsenal’s players meet at their training ground to start the journey north.

Groves: Every player had his own place on the bus, the same seat where he always sat. But when we got on there were directors, vice presidents - people we thought had died 20 years ago – sat in our places. Footballers are very superstitious and we weren’t happy. I went up to this bloke in my seat and said: “Excuse me mate, that’s my place”. He said: “I’m not moving, I was here first.” So there was this stand-off before one of the lads said: “Fair enough, but if we get beat it’ll have been your fault”. Then they moved pretty sharpish.

Winterburn: The journey up wasn’t different to any other. We sat in tables of four. Some of the lads played cards, some read papers, some chatted. It was all pretty relaxed and you wouldn’t have known we were on our way up for such an important match.

Thomas: I can remember Perry (Groves), Merse (Paul Merson) and Nigel Winterburn flicking through the papers and laughing, saying “have you read this one?!” None of them were giving us a chance. The headline on the back of the Mirror was “You Haven’t Got a Prayer, Arsenal”.

Manager springs a surprise:

The team arrive at the Atlantic Towers Hotel in Liverpool, where they have lunch and then go to their rooms for a sleep. At 5pm they come down for a team meeting. George Graham is wearing his black club blazer, a white shirt and a red and white tie. He outlines the team’s tactics and there’s a surprise – in a game Arsenal must win by two clear goals, they are going to play an extra defender!

Winterburn: “We mainly used a back four, but George told us he was going to go with David (O’Leary) as a sweeper, between Steve Bould and Tony Adams. It was a surprise, but it wasn’t just thrown together on the day.

That formation allows both full-backs to push on and can be good from an attacking as well as a defensive point of view.

Thomas: George was like Jose Mourinho – he was very tactical and made us think it was us against the world. He went through tactics, formation and how we’d defend set plays. He had it all planned out, how he wanted the game to go.

Winterburn: George used to go into the fine detail. Everyone knew their job. He was meticulous about set plays. He wanted us to try and attack but the crucial thing was not to concede and not to rush or panic.

Game draws near:

Groves: I remember the Kop was pretty ferocious during the warm-up, giving us some stick, as you’d expect.

Thomas: When we got back to the dressing room, Tony Adams was banging on the walls, getting everyone going, saying “listen to the crowd, they think they have won it already. Merson was having a laugh and a joke. Me? I was in the corner, quiet, like normal.

Down the tunnel: This is Anfield:

Winterburn: We all went out with a bouquet of flowers. I gave mine to one of the supporters behind one of the goals. It was the right thing to do after what Liverpool had been through at Hillsborough and I think that got the respect of their fans.

Groves: Typical Arsenal to have the class to think of that. It completely changed the atmosphere in the ground. The fans on the Kop were clapping and it felt a bit like a testimonial.

Game begins:

Groves: There was no fear in any of our players’ eyes. And it was a decent game. I remember turning to Martin Hayes on the bench and saying “good match to watch, this”. Liverpool didn’t seem to be playing at full capacity. I think in their minds they felt they were two nil up.

Half time:

Arsenal have played well, with the 5-4-1 formation working effectively, but they haven’t scored

Groves: At half time, George tended to be critical, telling us what we could have done better. But this time he came into the changing room and looked around and said “absolutely fantastic boys, it couldn’t have gone any better”. He went round the lads one by one and said how well they’d done. It was the first time in two years that I’d known him be like that. He said that if we could nick a goal, the whole atmosphere in the place would change and the game would be ours.

One nil!

Arsenal manager George Graham parades his side's hard-won silverware (Getty)

One nil!

After six minutes of the second half, the referee awards an indirect free kick for a foul on David Rocastle. Winterburn curls the ball into the area and Alan Smith glances a header past Liverpool keeper Bruce Grobelaar.

The Liverpool players are incensed, claiming the goal should not have stood because Smith did not get a touch on the ball.

Staunton: We were very disappointed to concede that goal. We felt Alan never got much on the ball. He’s claimed that he’s touched it, but it was tough.

Thomas: Liverpool’s players surrounded the referee. They used to do it all the time, although, to be fair, George told us to appeal for everything as well. The referee went to the linesman and I was thinking “no, no” but he signalled a goal. Liverpool claimed Alan didn’t touch the ball, but he did.

Winterburn: That first goal was what we needed. The atmosphere changed in the stadium. It brought a nervousness around Anfield that I could sense, I think every player could.

Groves: I looked at their players and could suddenly see tension and anxiety in their eyes and their body language. They started playing with fear.

With about a minute of normal time to go, Liverpool midfielder Steve McMahon walked round the pitch with his right index finger raised. Some construed it as a premature celebration.

Winterburn: I didn’t see him do it at the time, but I’ve seen it on video many occasions since. I don’t think Steve was celebrating, he was just saying “there’s a minute left, concentrate on what you’re doing”.

Winner!

With injury time mounting, Liverpool winger John Barnes attacks down the Liverpool left.

Staunton: Barnesy won’t forgive me for saying this, but during the season he’d often got the ball in the corner at the end if we were winning. For some reason he decided to cross it this time. Nigel Winterburn intercepted it and passed it back to their keeper.

Thomas: I remember John Lukic getting the ball and throwing it to Lee Dixon. So I made a run. Alan Smith got it on his chest near the touchline and turned inside before lobbing it to me. There was this big, massive gap. I still to this day do not know where all the Liverpool defenders were.

Groves: I was on as a sub and I always tell people I played a crucial part in the goal! I made a run to the left-hand side and took their defenders with me. That left a big gap for Thommo.

Thomas: There was just one person for me to get past, Steve Nicol. I tried to get it over his head. It hit his shoulder, then hit me and went the other side of him, right into my path. I thought “this is in my hands now”.

Groves: I remember just thinking “shoot Thommo, shoot”.

Thomas: The ball seemed to take an eternity to come down, in slow motion. I was waiting for Bruce Grobelaar to make the first move and he was waiting for me. It was like poker. Bruce showed his hand first and that was it, I just clipped it over him, with the outside of my foot.

Groves: Michael had missed a sitter minutes earlier, so he showed incredible mental strength. That one moment encapsulated everything he was about and everything Arsenal were about.

Staunton: When the ball hit the back of the net it was very eerie inside the ground. It was all quiet, apart from the Arsenal fans, who were at the Anfield Road End. We just had time to take the centre and that was it. Game over, season over.

Champions:

Winterburn: It felt like everybody inside Anfield had stayed on. That was unbelievable to see. With the Liverpool supporters, you get a knowledge and an understanding of football. We had taken something they desperately wanted, but they still responded in this fantastic way.

Staunton: That’s what Liverpool Football Club is all about. The players stayed on, the supporters stayed on, and we applauded the new champions.

Groves: I’m an Arsenal fan, so it was just the most incredible feeling. I ran straight to our supporters, which I do regret a bit now, as I don’t have any photos.

Winterburn: It was just mayhem inside the dressing room, as you might expect. It was my first trophy, which made it all the more special.

Thomas: It was a feeling of pure jubilation. I’d grown up with that group, with Rocastle, Merson, Adams. That feeling of coming through together, as schoolboys, and then making history for the club, was incredible. I’ll always remember Bruce Grobelaar coming in to congratulate us. He brought a crate of champagne and said “this is for you”. That speaks volumes for the man. David O’Leary was crying, because he had been there so long and never got a winners’ medal.

Staunton: To lose the title by one kick is devastating. Nobody knew what to say or what to do. Ronnie Moran had a few words, a few choice words, but we were all just so disappointed. I don’t remember Kenny saying anything. A few of us had to then go off with our national teams, so we didn’t have time to wallow in our own sorrow.

Party in London:

Thomas: Even George Graham was at the back of the bus with us, singing away. When we got back to London we went to a snooker club in Southgate and partied the night away. The fans were there as well, celebrating with us. After that it’s all a bit of a blur! The team knew how to celebrate, that’s for sure.

Groves: People say treat triumph and despair the same. Rubbish. You’ve got to kick the backside out of it and milk it. Our celebrations lasted about eight weeks. We had an open-top bus ride on the Sunday. I remember Alan Smith, probably a bit the worse for wear, saying “come round mine for a barbeque tomorrow lads”. He forgot all about it and was a bit shocked when we all piled round with crates of beer. I think we’d all put on about nine pounds on by the time we got back for pre-season. What memories though.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Re: Anfield 89 Article

Postby UFGN » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:05 am

Ive seen that goal countless times but it still makes me well up!

The arsenal crowd's reaction says it all. It was beyond words.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Great occasion. I had only been a fan for 2 seasons before that. Not a glory hunter. My age. That is when i got into gootball. Oh and that shirt. Easily my best away one.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Twitter is great tonight, lots of tweets about Graham's sides etc.

Good to see people remember that we were a force long before Wenger came along!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 pm

was the first live first division game as it was called then in New Zealand great memories I took a sickie from work to watch this and partied accordingly I remember the Thomas earlier miss and thought that was it ..............and remember screaming at the telly for lukic to kick long but the throw proved the catalyst for champions glory
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Angelito » Sat May 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Nuggets » Sat May 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Angelito wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Re: Anfield '89

Postby Sims » Sat May 26, 2018 3:30 pm

thats photoshopped mate this is the real thing

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Sat May 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Looks legit.

Wenger :hail:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 26, 2018 3:52 pm

:grin:
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat May 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Will always be the greatest win in the club's history.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Sat May 26, 2018 4:13 pm

I've just been chuckling about that picture for 20 minutes solid

The look on George's face is priceless
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Ach » Sat May 26, 2018 4:45 pm

What a documentary
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat May 26, 2018 4:53 pm

Hey PG, look. :frogwink:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat May 26, 2018 5:01 pm

:crybaby:

That night was the night I started following football.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club