Robin van Persie ~ The Flying Dutchman

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Robin van Persie ~ The Flying Dutchman

Postby Ach » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:39 pm

RVP delusional

Doubt any Arsenal fan blames him for leaving

Its who he left for when he has hick pick of any club is why hes hated
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Ach wrote:RVP delusional

Doubt any Arsenal fan blames him for leaving

Its who he left for when he has hick pick of any club is why hes hated

Can't blame him.

He needed a title and knew it was a sure thing if he joined SAF who is the GOAT.

Could have joined Juventus but he knew Serie A is a joke of a league.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:01 pm

Phil71 wrote:He's a f***ing liar.

We offered him a contract - then withdrew it when we heard he had negotiated a deal with man utd our backs.

From then on it was a matter of negotiating a price with them.

He's not. I was saying around the time that he left that it sounded like they hadn't offered him a deal. You can look it up in his statement when he told the fans he was leaving along with statements from Wenger about not being sure it would be wise to offer a player going into his 30s a massive contract. PHW was also already putting out feelers to the press that we wouldn't be able to offer him a competitive contract. He has no reason to lie and considering the last regime and their poor contract management, it's not far fetched.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zedie » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

We offered him a contract - then withdrew it when we heard he had negotiated a deal with man utd our backs.

He's not. I was saying around the time that he left that it sounded like they hadn't offered him a deal. You can look it up in his statement when he told the fans he was leaving along with statements from Wenger about not being sure it would be wise to offer a player going into his 30s a massive contract. PHW was also already putting out feelers to the press that we wouldn't be able to offer him a competitive contract. He has no reason to lie and considering the last regime and their poor contract management, it's not far fetched.

He was offered a deal iirc, it was a deal that wasnt good enough for him. These were the days where we were offering all players over 30 short term deals.

If we didnt offer him a deal, his letter would have said it, but it didnt. Makes no sense for him to leave without mentioning no deal, makes even less sense that we didnt offer him a deal off the back of that last season before he left.

You really think we didnt offer a deal after he dragged us to 4th?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:34 pm

I thought he stalled on signing a deal because he'd been given assurances about being competitive in the transfer window and they never materialised so he didn't sign it :dontknow:

I'd love for someone to ask Wenger to confirm/deny RVP's version of events.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

Arsenal and Wenger said at the time that they did offer him a deal, and he turned it down. Then they found out why, so the club decided to get what they could for him.

The fact is he wasn’t interested in signing because Manchester United had offered him almost twice as much when he and his people spoke to them behind Arsenal’s back. Now I know that’s the way of the football world, and I completely accept that it was his last big contract and he had his family to consider.

But there was no need for his bullshit line about the little boy in him always having wanted to play for them. He knew full well how Arsenal fans would feel about that and he said it anyway. For that he has to accept that most of us think he’s a c***.

And there’s no need now for his bullshit lies about him not having received a contract offer from us at the time, because he knows it’s not true, and so do the fans.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:01 am

Ach wrote:
themessiah wrote:Said we didn't offer him a new contract, lol

After watching that I have to say he is more despicable than I thought

Why? Because you don't believe him?
He's just said on live TV that he was not offered a new contract.
So what did you expect him to do?
Wenger didn't want him at the club.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby VCC » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:24 am

The modern day Frank Staplecunt
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:53 am

Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zedie » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:30 am

Phil71 wrote:

:P
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:50 am

Here’s what I remember from that summer.
Wenger had a cataract operation and was recouping. Gazidis was in the US and RVP’s people were desperate for a conversation with them to agree a deal with City or United. The club were stalling hoping Wenger could talk him out of it.
They finally met at Wenger's house where he was reportedly wearing an eye patch. The meeting started off badly with RVP demanding assurances of spending on other players in the summer. Gazidis told him the club could not give him such assurances at which point he stormed off refusing to discuss a new contract.
Fergie then called Wenger directly and said name your price and a 24 mil deal with United was agreed.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:19 am

We have a history of opening contract talks far too late after a player has had enough time to consider options elsewhere.

Why would you attempt to open contract talks during the summer when a player only has one year left?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Dejan wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:What about Henry going to Barca, how do we feel about that?
Joined the best club in the world.
Dont blame him

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Did he bollocks
Best club in the world is arsenal
Ac Milan were the best team in the world at the time
Just shows you what a movable feast that is
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:00 pm

VCC wrote:The modern day Frank Staplecunt

Nothing like it
Stapleton joined a Manchester United team who had no more chance of winning silverware than Arsenal
Van Persie left because a manager had a squad that continued to not be good enough to win either the league or the champions league and was totally failing to improve it
Were I a player I would have done exactly the same
The day the fans get over this utter bollocks of booing exes
And behaving like spurned lovers will be a great day for being in the ruthless business of winning at footbal
starmandb

Postby VCC » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:03 pm

starmandb wrote:
VCC wrote:The modern day Frank Staplecunt

Nothing like it
Stapleton joined a Manchester United team who had no more chance of winning silverware than Arsenal
Van Persie left because a manager had a squad that continued to not be good enough to win either the league or the champions league and was totally failing to improve it
Were I a player I would have done exactly the same
The day the fans get over this utter bollocks of booing exes
And behaving like spurned lovers will be a great day for being in the ruthless business of winning at footbal

Had nothing to do with where Arsenal or manure were as teams , comment had everything to do with being our best striker going to manure
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club