Robin van Persie ~ The Flying Dutchman

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Robin van Persie ~ The Flying Dutchman

Postby Fenice » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Heck of a player when fit. He wanted a trophy, he got one. Rest is water under bridge as he’s languishing in nothing now.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:44 pm

The man traded his legacy at Arsenal for a single Premier League trophy. He probably feels it was worth it, and that's fair enough. I don't hate the man but the nature of his departure means I've no affection for him and what he contributed during his time here.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:14 am

..., whilst single-handedly dragging that Arsenal cart-wheel in 11/12—having arguably the greatest solo season by a Gunner.

He paid us well before he left and unlike the likes of Cesc and Nasri, van Persie left because he was 29 and we weren't in any condition to win the Prem.

His legacy wouldn't have been any higher even if he had signed that extension. We wouldn't have won the Prem although Ozil playing behind van Persie in 13/14 would have been epic. Yet, I doubt, we would have bought Ozil if van Persie had stayed. It was a Wenger syndrome in the latter years—not buying what we needed.

The real problem is none of the Arsenal players of the Emirates era have a cherished legacy. The ones who should like Sagna, Ozil, Rosicky, Cazorla, and Koscielny are maligned for one reason or the other.

Alexis is in the van Persie boat.

Cesc is the worst of 'em all because of the way he conducted himself before leaving. He was also the closest to being a genuine son of Arsenal.

The likes of Nasri, Adebayor, Hleb—whilst great players—didn't leave Arsenal with as big an impact as some others have.

Arshavin is another iconic player, but of course, his legacy isn't all that significant in context.

I'd still say van Persie's legacy is bigger than his contemporaries at Arsenal. Personally, I've never received as much joy in football as I watched van Persie in 11/12. He will remain my 3rd fav Arsenal player (after Rosicky and Bergkamp).

Gooners, no less, aren't any better than the so called mercenaries they seem to dislike. Booing players and disliking almost every great player we've had in the Emirates era, whilst honoring Ramsey, Walcott, and Giroud like they are club legends, tells us everything we need to know about the wrongs of this time.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:57 am

Callum wrote:The man traded his legacy at Arsenal for a single Premier League trophy. He probably feels it was worth it, and that's fair enough. I don't hate the man but the nature of his departure means I've no affection for him and what he contributed during his time here.

What legacy, the lone FA Cup he won back in 2005?

Fvck wasting your entire career with a club going nowhere just so when you're retired you can look back and say "at least I never left"...Some legacy that would be.

He left after dragging the worst squad Wenger ever had to 4th.

No one with RVP's talent would have stayed considering the absolute state the club with in back then.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Phil71 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:32 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Callum wrote:The man traded his legacy at Arsenal for a single Premier League trophy. He probably feels it was worth it, and that's fair enough. I don't hate the man but the nature of his departure means I've no affection for him and what he contributed during his time here.

Fvck wasting your entire career with a club going nowhere just so when you're retired you can look back and say "at least I never left"...Some legacy that would be.

No one with RVP's talent would have stayed considering the absolute state the club with in back then.

Arsenal FC dragged him from the obscurity of PSV Eindhoven's reserves, after he was dumped there when they became exasperated with his shit form and terrible attitude.

The club then wiped his arse for him and paid him handsomely, while he spent the vast majority of his time with us either acting up, playing inconsistently or getting nursed in the treatment room.

He had one good season then showed what he thinks of Arsenal FC by negotiating behind the club's back with man utd, then going there and coming out with that bullshit about his always having wanted to play for them.

I wish him nothing but bad luck.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:55 am

Angelito wrote:..., whilst single-handedly dragging that Arsenal cart-wheel in 11/12—having arguably the greatest solo season by a Gunner.

He paid us well before he left and unlike the likes of Cesc and Nasri, van Persie left because he was 29 and we weren't in any condition to win the Prem.

His legacy wouldn't have been any higher even if he had signed that extension. We wouldn't have won the Prem although Ozil playing behind van Persie in 13/14 would have been epic. Yet, I doubt, we would have bought Ozil if van Persie had stayed. It was a Wenger syndrome in the latter years—not buying what we needed.

The real problem is none of the Arsenal players of the Emirates era have a cherished legacy. The ones who should like Sagna, Ozil, Rosicky, Cazorla, and Koscielny are maligned for one reason or the other.

Alexis is in the van Persie boat.

Cesc is the worst of 'em all because of the way he conducted himself before leaving. He was also the closest to being a genuine son of Arsenal.

The likes of Nasri, Adebayor, Hleb—whilst great players—didn't leave Arsenal with as big an impact as some others have.

Arshavin is another iconic player, but of course, his legacy isn't all that significant in context.

I'd still say van Persie's legacy is bigger than his contemporaries at Arsenal. Personally, I've never received as much joy in football as I watched van Persie in 11/12. He will remain my 3rd fav Arsenal player (after Rosicky and Bergkamp).

Gooners, no less, aren't any better than the so called mercenaries they seem to dislike. Booing players and disliking almost every great player we've had in the Emirates era, whilst honoring Ramsey, Walcott, and Giroud like they are club legends, tells us everything we need to know about the wrongs of this time.

I don't know why the Cesc move didn't bother me like it seems to have most Arsenal fans. He went back to his real boyhood club, I don't see why people blame him for that. And I think his supposed bad attitude before leaving was drastically over exaggerated.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Phil71 wrote:I wish him nothing but bad luck.

Well he's a millionaire many times over and married with kids.

It's a bit late to wish bad luck, also very small time.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:13 pm

He's a c***. Not sure why anyone thinks otherwise.

Bigger c***, rvp or cesc?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Ach wrote:He's a c***. Not sure why anyone thinks otherwise.

Thinking someone is a c*** and wishing them bad luck are not the same.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:

Thinking someone is a c*** and wishing them bad luck are not the same.

Yeah true but my post was nothing to do with the posts above. Just a general observation
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Phil71 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:37 pm

van persie by a mile.

The Fabregas circumstances were completely different and much more understandable.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby themessiah » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Left at his peak of his powers to go to a rival and win the league for them. He also wrote an open letter to explain we didn't match his vision. Celebrated every goal he scored against us.

With RvP it was more because we'd supported him through his injuries and more.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Callum » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:24 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:

You don't need to convince me of anything. I'm not saying he was wrong to leave and pursue titles before he retired, and ultimately he can justify his decision to leave with the Premier League title he won. He made his decision as a professional and I can respect that.

He left Arsenal to sign for one of our biggest rivals, which he knew would have heavily tarnished his reputation with most fans. He isn't going to be welcomed back to the club, and he won't go down as a beloved talent for the majority of the fanbase because of how he left. I'm not saying he should care about that or that he was wrong to leave, but it's the fact of the matter. Lesser players are and will be held in higher regard because they didn't desert us for a direct rival for the prospect of winning more trophies.

All my point is he can't have it both ways; he couldn't remain an Arsenal legend/ icon and also leave for Manchester United. He chose the latter.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:34 pm

We paid him millions to sit in the treatment room, which is one of the reasons his betrayal stung so much

Cesc was a different situation. A Catalan born product of the Barca academy is only ever going to truly love Barca. No point hating a cat for meowing.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Ach » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Phil71 wrote:

van persie by a mile.

The Fabregas circumstances were completely different and much more understandable.

Different circumstances indeed but doesn't make Cesc any less of a c***. Couldn't give a shit about him wanting to play for his hometown club. This is football. It's full of players playing away from their hometown club so that excuse is a pretty shit one.

It's a tough one for me. Some days Cesc is a bigger c***. Other days it's RVP.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club