The background of Gilberto Silva

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

The background of Gilberto Silva

Postby beebert » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone of you know anything about the background of our former great midfielder Gilberto Silva? I read that he had to quit football when he was 16 and start working in a factory instead, and that he didn't come back playing again until he was 19 or so... What do you guys think about this? Can it even be true? I mean, is it really possible to take a break from playing football for three years and then become as good as he did? Surely he must have played a lot with friends on the streets during these three years, how else is it even possible that he became a professional football player, considering how many hours of training he must have missed during these three years of not playing? It would be interesting to hear what you guys think about this! :)
beebert
Liam Brady

Re: The background of Gilberto Silva

Postby ivan itchybum » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:32 pm

There's that little thing called Wikipedia :)
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby beebert » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Yes that's where I read it, but I just thought it sounded weird... I mean, it cannot be possible to become that good if you just quit playing when you are 16 and start again three years later? These are three very important years also... If he did quit, and didn't play anything at all during this time, he surely must have been an exceptional talent...
beebert
Liam Brady

Postby ivan itchybum » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:38 pm

Exact same thing happened to me and I'm pretty fuckin awesome ;)

Except I didn't stop because of work, we couldn't field a team :lol:
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby VCC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Ivan Itchybum wrote:Exact same thing happened to me and I'm pretty fuckin awesome ;)

Except I didn't stop because of work, we couldn't field a team :lol:

lol I had that Boxing I couldn't get an opponent for a year had to fight weight classes above myself.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby beebert » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:52 pm

so you guys think it's possible to turn professional if you want to come back after a long break like that?
beebert
Liam Brady

Postby VCC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:55 pm

beebert wrote:so you guys think it's possible to turn professional if you want to come back after a long break like that?

definitely I had the chance and I was out from the age of16 through to 24 not saying I would have been a great pro but I have been in the ring with some top fighters here,biggest thing in sport is the ticker and talent
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby beebert » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:59 pm

but boxing is different... I mean, if you haven't trained anything for three years(three very important years when you are not fully developed yet) many other players will lie so far ahead of you when you start again! I mean, can you develop the abilities that you have missed during these years later on?
beebert
Liam Brady

Postby VCC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:07 pm

beebert wrote:but boxing is different... I mean, if you haven't trained anything for three years(three very important years when you are not fully developed yet) many other players will lie so far ahead of you when you start again! I mean, can you develop the abilities that you have missed during these years later on?

no different boxing is all about timming there are very few count them on one hand that are naturally gifted timming wise in boxing I would guess that you cant hide in a boxing ring you can how ever get breathers on a football picth
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby beebert » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:12 pm

But the thing is, when you are 16 you are still growing and you are not a complete football player yet. If you quit for three years you will have lost like 2000 or 3000 hours of training! so your conclusion is that it is possible to become a pro despite a long break?
beebert
Liam Brady

Postby VCC » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:59 pm

beebert wrote:But the thing is, when you are 16 you are still growing and you are not a complete football player yet. If you quit for three years you will have lost like 2000 or 3000 hours of training! so your conclusion is that it is possible to become a pro despite a long break?

definitely Gilberto did it
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby beebert » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:43 am

Interesting! But don't you think Gilberto must have done some football training during these years?
beebert
Liam Brady

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club