What is Arsenal all about?

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Postby gooonenger » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi all of you Arsenal supporters!

I'm from Germany and currently working on a presentation for my study, since I'm a Arsenal supporter, too.
Could you please help me by answering the following question:
What do you think is special about Arsenal FC? What do you think Arsenal is all about? What is the core identity of Arsenal?
I really would appreciate your help.
Thank you in advance!
gooonenger
Liam Brady

Re: What is Arsenal all about?

Postby starmandb » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:21 pm

class
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:37 pm

We are EASILY the best Club in London. With great tradition and heritage. Constantly compete in European competitions. Won plenty of silverware. Some of the best players in the World have played for Arsenal both in the past and in the present. Have great supporters who are recognised as being honest and well behaved. Played at a world famous ground Highbury, Moved to keep up into a state of the art stadium, The Emirates. Well run Club in all depts. Moving forward and not too far away from further success.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby dunkdafunk » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Arsenal have always seemed to be leaders, both on the pitch, and in terms of grabbing business opporunities.
Being the first televised match, between Arsenal 1st v Arsenal reserves is one major example.
Moving from south of river to north.
Grabbing the opportunities internationally in the international game and Europe.

And more recently building a state of art stadium, with in a sustainable business model, with out relying on a sugardaddy, or leveraging massive debts.
in wenger we trust
dunkdafunk
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Fran Solo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:47 pm

You can learn more about this great club in the internet, but I will give you some of my opinions.

Youth system: Superb training facilities and youth coaches.
Scouting system: Our scouting system and scouts are the best in the world. They are everywhere. Just check the list in Championship Manager (the PC game).
Playing style: Always trying to win the match while entertaining the audiences. For example, not many teams can brag that they play attacking football against Barcelona.
Coaching style: Many groundbreaking innovations. For example, we are the first club in England to introduce diet system for the players.
Transfer policy: The most profitable club in England transferwise. Only two players were bought for £15M or more.
Financial: New training ground? New stadium? No problemo. We will get better when the Financial Fair Play kick in.
Supporters and fanbase: You won't see many boos from our own supporters. Very very loyal supporters.
Internet and website: Just check your search engine. We are everywhere. And I think arsenal.com is one of the most accessed official club website in the world.
Uniform: You will never fail to recognize our jerseys. Some clubs even imitating our jerseys, such as Sporting Braga.
Logo: The coolest logo in the world. Don't you get bored with medieval logos with flags, shields, swords and crosses?

That's just an example. There are many more.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TartanRaven » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Arsenal have never been a one or two player club, it is the sum of it's parts. "Victoria Concordia Crescit" spells this out perfectly.
We never stop fighting, even when those in ties seem to drag us down. "Forward" spells this out as well.
Deus Meus Et Omnia
TartanRaven
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Est83 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:21 pm

^^^^^ VCC!!! Victory through togetherness. Should still be under the badge!

And class, as starmandb said.

Unity and class is Arsenal.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Yup, one word, class.

Which is why I despise the clubs that show such a lack of it in everything they do.

Fran Solo wrote:Logo: The coolest logo in the world. Don't you get bored with medieval logos with flags, shields, swords and crosses?

I absolutely hate our current crest. Can barely look at it without cringing even after 10 years

Glad GW has our old one up there too
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Kyle? » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:48 pm

We do things properly. We have a proud history of setting standards, first televised team, first PL team to play tippy tappy football, the first (and only) undefeated PL team, the only top PL team who'll survive FFP without major player sales needed etc. We revolutionised the way the game is played in england. Under Graham, we showed the world how you defend, under Wenger, we've shown the world how to play good football. Barca would be nothing if not for us (i jest, obviously)
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 am

CynicalGooner wrote:Yup, one word, class.

Which is why I despise the clubs that show such a lack of it in everything they do.

Fran Solo wrote:Logo: The coolest logo in the world. Don't you get bored with medieval logos with flags, shields, swords and crosses?

I absolutely hate our current crest. Can barely look at it without cringing even after 10 years

Must admit i agree. The old badge is way better than the current one.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GSK_AFC » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:33 am

In the Wenger era.
We've consistently competed in all competitions, getting out of our CL group every year aswell as making it to the final with the most consecutive cleansheets.
49 games unbeaten in the league.
2 Doubles.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fran Solo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:48 am

I also prefer our old logo myself, but even the not so likeable new logo is still way better than other club's logo.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:01 am

Fighting against the odds to achieve things nobody believed we could. Anfield '89... the Invincibles... if we manage to compete with city and chelsea to win a title without massive billionaire investment it would be very fitting!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:15 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Yup, one word, class.

Agreed.

With Wenger's style of play I think VCC is more apt than ever, so I would have thought at least that would be kept. I agree that the stadium move - keeping the long term in mind - was needed, but changing the badge as well was too much. A don't hate the new badge, but I think it should have been treated as an assential to keep the old badge as a way of maintaining our identity at a time when so much was changing at the club.

... by the way, that's the new badge in your avatar :hiding:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CynicalGooner » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Ya mean my sig. But true, might have to get Max to sort out that grievous error
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham