History Of Arsenal (2) | 1913 to 1925

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

History Of Arsenal (2) | 1913 to 1925

Postby SE13 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:35 am

Woolwich had now been dropped from the name, as The Arsenal had made the step over The Thames to North London after the relegation to Division 2, looking for a larger supporter base to upturn the fortunes of the club. A plot of land in The Highbury area of Islington had been found, and the birth of The Highbury Stadium was upon the public. It is fair to say that the rivalry with Tottenham began here, however worse was to follow for our new neighbours, and the rivalry would be intensified.

The First World War had all but decimated professional football, however in 1919 the league reformed. The Arsenal had finished fifth in the closing season before The War, however managed to get a place in the newly reformed Division 1, a place they have never since been removed from. The actual reasons for The Arsenal being elected are somewhat sketchy to say the least, but Chelsea and Tottenham finished in the bottom two places of Division 1 before The War, and there was to be an election to see which of the clubs would remain, or be relegated, and who would replace them. The final vote was between The Arsenal and Tottenham, and Arsenal won by 18 votes to 8, thus The Arsenal were promoted at the expense of Tottenham. We had taken a huge slice of fan base in North London, and now their top flight status. This, I believe, would be where the real rivalry began, and has continued until now, and will continue long after I have left this Earth.

The Arsenal struggled somewhat in Division 1, but kept top flight status. Meantime, Huddersfield Town were crowned Champions, under the management of Herbert Chapman. In 1925 The Arsenal finished just above the relegation places, and Huddersfield were again crowned Champions, again with Herbert Chapman at the helm. Chapman was too good to miss, and in May 1925, The Arsenal appointed him as manager.

Here begins the story of Arsenal. "The" was dropped from the name, and history evolved further

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: History Of Arsenal (2) | 1913 to 1925

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:27 am

If it wasn't for Henry Norris' scandals in these days, I wonder if Arsenal would of ever ended up a big club. Then from this on to a well known corrupted manager (who was one of the best ever at the same time).

I think this is one part of Arsenal's history that a lot of Arsenal fans don't know about. It's for sure that corruption got Arsenal to where they were. Who says money can't buy history? ;)
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Herrpoja » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:19 pm

it's pure speculation there are no proof that henry norris did bribe/blackmail the league chairman.
but it probably is true but i think arsenal would have been in the first division in about atleast 5 years.
we were third the year before in the second division on same points as the second placed team so we would have been back just later.

whether or not arsenal would be big as it was is not what if arsenal dident get that promotion it's more if chapman joined us or not.
havent read anything about herbert chapman being corrupt so enlighten me (not defending any allegations but corruption was everywhere back then)
Herrpoja
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Herrpoja wrote:it's pure speculation there are no proof that henry norris did bribe/blackmail the league chairman.
but it probably is true but i think arsenal would have been in the first division in about atleast 5 years.
we were third the year before in the second division on same points as the second placed team so we would have been back just later.

whether or not arsenal would be big as it was is not what if arsenal dident get that promotion it's more if chapman joined us or not.
havent read anything about herbert chapman being corrupt so enlighten me (not defending any allegations but corruption was everywhere back then)

He got done for financial irregularities at Leeds City. He got banned from football for life and Leeds City dissolved.. He sneaked back into football as assistant at Huddersfield before getting the full role. The story over him leaving was over a player. Huddersfield wouldn't pay the fees to bring in players, I think the final straw was Charlie Buchan (I'm not 100% on that one though). He left to Arsenal who doubled Chapman's wage.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Herrpoja » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:34 pm

cant belive that i never knew that before. Thanks for posting about it Yorky, have to read more about it soon
Herrpoja
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:36 pm

As I say, I loved what chapman did for football and he's an all time great. Corrupt bastard though haha. There is a website somewhere going into really detailed parts of chapmans life.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Fabrestuta » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:28 pm

This was the era that SE first started going to games.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club