Arsenal 49: The Complete Unbeaten Record

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Arsenal 49: The Complete Unbeaten Record

Postby Dubs4Sam » Thu May 15, 2014 8:57 am

This Day in 2004 (10 Years) we Beat Leicster 2-1 Last Day of the Season to Go the Entire Season Unbeaten in 2003/2004 and earn the Right to call our Trophy the Gold One!

What are your memories of that Day? :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Gunflash » Thu May 15, 2014 5:38 pm

I remember being nervous when Dickov scored. It would just have to be an ex-Arsenal player who cost us but once Henry equalised with the penalty, I knew we'd finish with a win. Vieira's goal was sublime from the way Bergkamp picked him out and then he went round the goalkeeper. It's kind of sepia-tinged because it was so long ago and we never kicked on to dominate, the way we should have done.
There's David O'Leary and big Willie Young, sending Rixy and Stapleton off on a run
Gunflash
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cripps » Thu May 15, 2014 6:38 pm

I remember the Parlour and Keown thing
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby StockGooner » Fri May 16, 2014 7:08 pm

I hate thinking about the Invincibles in someways just because I know how it ended!

It's times like that this that you just know the Premier League is fixed, I mean the fixture list is meant to be random but somehow Man United v Arsenal 'happens' to be the game where Arsenal could go 50 unbeaten?
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zedie » Sat May 17, 2014 12:04 am

:BangHead:
StockGooner wrote:I hate thinking about the Invincibles in someways just because I know how it ended!

It's times like that this that you just know the Premier League is fixed, I mean the fixture list is meant to be random but somehow Man United v Arsenal 'happens' to be the game where Arsenal could go 50 unbeaten?

That game was a massive fix as well. Will never forget that rooney dive and the media cover up (the actual penalty incident was shown once on replay, the penalty kick itself was on constant repeat).

The blatant fouling etc.

The FA needed us to lose, we were in real danger of completely destroying the man u dynasty.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:08 pm

ivän itchybüm wrote:And the appalling refereeing that brought it to an end...

i've only watched 3 minutes and i am wordless. good god almight, how many 10's of thousands of pounds was that punter paid?????
:angry:
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby 22-0 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:09 pm

the necro is real
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cripps » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Just watched that. Wow. The worst ref performance of all time. Absolutely disgusting.

Everyone mentions the dive and rightly so but the targeting of Reyes, Rio taking out Freddie when clean through, RVN shawcrossing Cole, it beggars belief. I wish someone before Riley time is up and he goes to hell, asks him wtf was he thinking.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby StokeFan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Cripps wrote:Just watched that. Wow. The worst ref performance of all time. Absolutely disgusting.

Everyone mentions the dive and rightly so but the targeting of Reyes, Rio taking out Freddie when clean through, RVN shawcrossing Cole, it beggars belief. I wish someone before Riley time is up and he goes to hell, asks him wtf was he thinking.

Cripps, not looking for a row here, but in what way was Van Nistelrooy's stamp in any way comparable to Ryan's badly mistimed challenge. One was a callous attempt to injure an opposition player, the other was a horribly mistimed mistake, for which the man in the wrong left the field showing as much remorse as you'll see from a player on the football pitch. Ruud didn't seem too bothered as he walked away grinning, did he? Think about it man...

Still, as bad as Riley's performance was, I'm sure some will argue it was karma for the actions at the end of the 0-0. I don't particularly believe in karma, but I do believe that the classless performance of the Arsenal players after that 0-0 draw was as equally classless as the actions of the Man Utd players in the 2-0 victory. There were certainly no winners in that regard.

For what it's worth, the penalty is a dive for sure. I've never considered porker much of a diver, but you don't get more blatant than that. That said, with again, no offence intended here, it reminds me of the Cazorla dive against West Brom. Very similar. Shift of movement, wait for the leg, down over a trailing foot with no contact whatsoever.

Let's be honest, you had some luck before that as well didn't you? I seem to remember Pires getting a last minute penalty against Portsmouth (was it?) after a cheeky dive which got a point? Always important to put things in perspective.
StokeFan
Banned

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:10 pm

StokeFan wrote:
I've never considered porker much of a diver, but you don't get more blatant than that.

Let's be honest, you had some luck before that as well didn't you? I seem to remember Pires getting a last minute penalty against Portsmouth (was it?) after a cheeky dive which got a point? Always important to put things in perspective.

Funny that, you harp on about Wilshere and Cazorla going down easily but "never considered" Rooney a diver?

Lol, he's been using the arched back, flailing armed technique his entire career (dived for a penalty recently against Preston in the Cup) but I guess his antics flew under your radar seeing as he isn't an Arsenal player; or maybe his faux "hard man" act just pulled the wool over your eyes.

BTW Pires' penalty against Portsmouth came in the 37th minute, not the last.

Don't get your point anyway, every team in the history of football has players that have dived; going by your logic no fans should ever again complain about diving seeing as their own team has done the same sometime before.

What if a team dived for a penalty against Stoke next season and then someone tried to justify it because Moses dived against Swansea earlier this season?

Would be pretty asinine, wouldn't it?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby StokeFan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:53 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
StokeFan wrote:
I've never considered porker much of a diver, but you don't get more blatant than that.

Funny that, you harp on about Wilshere and Cazorla going down easily but "never considered" Rooney a diver?

Lol, he's been using the arched back, flailing armed technique his entire career (dived for a penalty recently against Preston in the Cup) but I guess his antics flew under your radar seeing as he isn't an Arsenal player; or maybe his faux "hard man" act just pulled the wool over your eyes.

Don't get your point anyway, every team in the history of football has players that have dived; going by your logic no fans should ever again complain about diving seeing as their own team has done the same sometime before.

What if a team dived for a penalty against Stoke next season and then someone tried to justify it because Moses dived against Swansea earlier this season?

Well, I'm a Stoke fan. I've been to every Stoke Man Utd, home and away, since we were promoted. I've seen cynical divers in the Man Utd team, such as Ronaldo, Tevez and Berbatov. More recently, Van Persie was showing his form by diving quite a lot in the game against us last season when they lost. I've seen Rooney in all these games (well those he played) and I can't remember him diving. That doesn't mean he's not a diver, that means I haven't observed him doing it against Stoke. His dive against you in the video I quoted was about as cynical as it gets though.

Wilshere and Caazorla have both played Stoke in recent fixtures and Wilshere in particular spent a lot of time diving around. He seems to have a knack of running into trouble then throwing himself to the floor when he's lost the ball. Maybe he's just trying to do too much or whatever, but as far as it goes, he was diving for me. I observed it, so I naturally remember it. Nothing to do with it being Arsenal... I mean do you seriously think I bloody like Man Utd? Give me a break. Cazorla was not as cynical as Wilshere, but I remember him taking a dive against us in the 1-0 defeat against us with not many minutes remaining, just stuck in my mind. If Rooney does the same the next time we play them, you can be sure as hell I'd be calling him a diver too. It's not a conspiracy mate...

Sorry for the stat fail on the Pires penalty. Not an Arsenal fan, so don't remember these things quite as well as you, but I do remember he dived.

I'm not sure I agree with your next assertion though. Every team in the history of football has had divers? Are you really sure about that? Diving is on the whole, a fairly new concept although it's first real exposure was probably Francis Lee doing it back in the 70's. There have been one or two players through the ages who dived, Lee, Klinsmann, Maradona etc. Diving as a mainstream concept took off in the 90's. I don't blame the foreign influx of players solely, that's too easy an excuse. I do blame the fact that other football leagues have a far less physical game which meant players tended to go down under less contact. This has manifested into the current form of diving which is no contact at all. It also doesn't mean I have to embrace it. If you choose to embrace it, then I assume you stood out the abuse given to Man Utd after the shambolic FA Cup tie against yourselves... thought not.

Let's be honest here, I take your point about it being asinine, but you can't be hypocritical. You can't stand there and justify diving from your Invincibles and then call blue murder against Man Utd when they dive against you. You're either for it, or you're against it. I'm against it. I hate it. It's an unpleasant cancer that's ruining football, along with FA and FIFA corruption. If you're for it, then you should be congratulatory in Man Utd's performance preventing your 50th unbeaten game. If you're against it, you should be willing to consider the fact that the run wouldn't have lasted without diving in previous games.

It's a horrible paradox my friend....
StokeFan
Banned

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:20 pm

I am wholly against diving, it needs to be eradicated from the game.

I made no attempt to justify Pires' dive.

It sounded like you were saying if a team had ever dived in the past then it somehow invalidates their future complaints when they are the victims of diving; my point was this logic is folly as all or at least most teams have had players that have dived at some point which would mean virtually nobody would be in the position to take umbrage with diving.

Pires dived yes, but does that mean Arsenal fans shouldn't be outraged when Rooney dives to end our unbeaten streak? Of course not.

Moses dived for you this season, but will you not feel shafted when someone dives against Stoke in the future? Yes you will.

Diving is always wrong regardless of who does it and I'm hopeful that with the introduction of video technology we will see retrospective bans handed out for instances in the future.
Last edited by Va-Va-Voom on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Santi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:23 pm

watching that video made me so f***ing angry, wayne rooney is such a c*** and nistelrooy too. Just wish Keown had nailed him again even after he scored the pen, t**t.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:03 pm

StokeFan wrote:
Cripps wrote:Just watched that. Wow. The worst ref performance of all time. Absolutely disgusting.

Cripps, not looking for a row here, but in what way was Van Nistelrooy's stamp in any way comparable to Ryan's badly mistimed challenge. One was a callous attempt to injure an opposition player, the other was a horribly mistimed mistake, for which the man in the wrong left the field showing as much remorse as you'll see from a player on the football pitch. Ruud didn't seem too bothered as he walked away grinning, did he? Think about it man...

Still, as bad as Riley's performance was, I'm sure some will argue it was karma for the actions at the end of the 0-0. I don't particularly believe in karma, but I do believe that the classless performance of the Arsenal players after that 0-0 draw was as equally classless as the actions of the Man Utd players in the 2-0 victory. There were certainly no winners in that regard.

For what it's worth, the penalty is a dive for sure. I've never considered porker much of a diver, but you don't get more blatant than that. That said, with again, no offence intended here, it reminds me of the Cazorla dive against West Brom. Very similar. Shift of movement, wait for the leg, down over a trailing foot with no contact whatsoever.

That's funny because that pires dive was in the 40th minute
Disgusting it has no place in football
I don't want to win like that I sure as he'll don't want to lose like it
Still 40 mins at 1-0 down is not the end of the world
It happened against stoke once in the league cup in 1996
Final score arsenal 5 stoke 2
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:37 pm

StokeFan wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
StokeFan wrote:

Well, I'm a Stoke fan. I've been to every Stoke Man Utd, home and away, since we were promoted. I've seen cynical divers in the Man Utd team, such as Ronaldo, Tevez and Berbatov. More recently, Van Persie was showing his form by diving quite a lot in the game against us last season when they lost. I've seen Rooney in all these games (well those he played) and I can't remember him diving. That doesn't mean he's not a diver, that means I haven't observed him doing it against Stoke. His dive against you in the video I quoted was about as cynical as it gets though.

Wilshere and Caazorla have both played Stoke in recent fixtures and Wilshere in particular spent a lot of time diving around. He seems to have a knack of running into trouble then throwing himself to the floor when he's lost the ball. Maybe he's just trying to do too much or whatever, but as far as it goes, he was diving for me. I observed it, so I naturally remember it. Nothing to do with it being Arsenal... I mean do you seriously think I bloody like Man Utd? Give me a break. Cazorla was not as cynical as Wilshere, but I remember him taking a dive against us in the 1-0 defeat against us with not many minutes remaining, just stuck in my mind. If Rooney does the same the next time we play them, you can be sure as hell I'd be calling him a diver too. It's not a conspiracy mate...

Sorry for the stat fail on the Pires penalty. Not an Arsenal fan, so don't remember these things quite as well as you, but I do remember he dived.

I'm not sure I agree with your next assertion though. Every team in the history of football has had divers? Are you really sure about that? Diving is on the whole, a fairly new concept although it's first real exposure was probably Francis Lee doing it back in the 70's. There have been one or two players through the ages who dived, Lee, Klinsmann, Maradona etc. Diving as a mainstream concept took off in the 90's. I don't blame the foreign influx of players solely, that's too easy an excuse. I do blame the fact that other football leagues have a far less physical game which meant players tended to go down under less contact. This has manifested into the current form of diving which is no contact at all. It also doesn't mean I have to embrace it. If you choose to embrace it, then I assume you stood out the abuse given to Man Utd after the shambolic FA Cup tie against yourselves... thought not.

Let's be honest here, I take your point about it being asinine, but you can't be hypocritical. You can't stand there and justify diving from your Invincibles and then call blue murder against Man Utd when they dive against you. You're either for it, or you're against it. I'm against it. I hate it. It's an unpleasant cancer that's ruining football, along with FA and FIFA corruption. If you're for it, then you should be congratulatory in Man Utd's performance preventing your 50th unbeaten game. If you're against it, you should be willing to consider the fact that the run wouldn't have lasted without diving in previous games.

It's a horrible paradox my friend....

Strange that you can't pass comment on Rooney as you have never seen him do it but that you feel free to pass comment on pires v portsmouth(strange you was at that game when stoke were losing 4-2 at Coventry)
And cazorla v west brom(strange you was at that game when stoke were drawing 0-0 at villa)
Mind you london is closer to stoke than other grounds in the midlands you closet gooner you
starmandb

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club