Arsenal 49: The Complete Unbeaten Record

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Arsenal 49: The Complete Unbeaten Record

Postby starmandb » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:39 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:I am wholly against diving, it needs to be eradicated from the game.

I made no attempt to justify Pires' dive.

It sounded like you were saying if a team had ever dived in the past then it somehow invalidates their future complaints when they are the victims of diving; my point was this logic is folly as all or at least most teams have had players that have dived at some point which would mean virtually nobody would be in the position to take umbrage with diving.

Pires dived yes, but does that mean Arsenal fans shouldn't be outraged when Rooney dives to end our unbeaten streak? Of course not.

Moses dived for you this season, but will you not feel shafted when someone dives against Stoke in the future? Yes you will.

Diving is always wrong regardless of who does it and I'm hopeful that with the introduction of video technology we will see retrospective bans handed out for instances in the future.

Spot on mate you take it when it happens for you because you have no choice but when idiots like Jason Cindy and Robbie savage say it's part of the game it makes my blood boil
It ain't part of the game I love
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby StokeFan » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:35 pm

starmandb wrote:
StokeFan wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
StokeFan wrote:
I've never considered porker much of a diver, but you don't get more blatant than that.

Let's be honest, you had some luck before that as well didn't you? I seem to remember Pires getting a last minute penalty against Portsmouth (was it?) after a cheeky dive which got a point? Always important to put things in perspective.

Funny that, you harp on about Wilshere and Cazorla going down easily but "never considered" Rooney a diver?

Lol, he's been using the arched back, flailing armed technique his entire career (dived for a penalty recently against Preston in the Cup) but I guess his antics flew under your radar seeing as he isn't an Arsenal player; or maybe his faux "hard man" act just pulled the wool over your eyes.

BTW Pires' penalty against Portsmouth came in the 37th minute, not the last.

Don't get your point anyway, every team in the history of football has players that have dived; going by your logic no fans should ever again complain about diving seeing as their own team has done the same sometime before.

What if a team dived for a penalty against Stoke next season and then someone tried to justify it because Moses dived against Swansea earlier this season?

Would be pretty asinine, wouldn't it?

Well, I'm a Stoke fan. I've been to every Stoke Man Utd, home and away, since we were promoted. I've seen cynical divers in the Man Utd team, such as Ronaldo, Tevez and Berbatov. More recently, Van Persie was showing his form by diving quite a lot in the game against us last season when they lost. I've seen Rooney in all these games (well those he played) and I can't remember him diving. That doesn't mean he's not a diver, that means I haven't observed him doing it against Stoke. His dive against you in the video I quoted was about as cynical as it gets though.

Wilshere and Caazorla have both played Stoke in recent fixtures and Wilshere in particular spent a lot of time diving around. He seems to have a knack of running into trouble then throwing himself to the floor when he's lost the ball. Maybe he's just trying to do too much or whatever, but as far as it goes, he was diving for me. I observed it, so I naturally remember it. Nothing to do with it being Arsenal... I mean do you seriously think I bloody like Man Utd? Give me a break. Cazorla was not as cynical as Wilshere, but I remember him taking a dive against us in the 1-0 defeat against us with not many minutes remaining, just stuck in my mind. If Rooney does the same the next time we play them, you can be sure as hell I'd be calling him a diver too. It's not a conspiracy mate...

Sorry for the stat fail on the Pires penalty. Not an Arsenal fan, so don't remember these things quite as well as you, but I do remember he dived.

I'm not sure I agree with your next assertion though. Every team in the history of football has had divers? Are you really sure about that? Diving is on the whole, a fairly new concept although it's first real exposure was probably Francis Lee doing it back in the 70's. There have been one or two players through the ages who dived, Lee, Klinsmann, Maradona etc. Diving as a mainstream concept took off in the 90's. I don't blame the foreign influx of players solely, that's too easy an excuse. I do blame the fact that other football leagues have a far less physical game which meant players tended to go down under less contact. This has manifested into the current form of diving which is no contact at all. It also doesn't mean I have to embrace it. If you choose to embrace it, then I assume you stood out the abuse given to Man Utd after the shambolic FA Cup tie against yourselves... thought not.

Let's be honest here, I take your point about it being asinine, but you can't be hypocritical. You can't stand there and justify diving from your Invincibles and then call blue murder against Man Utd when they dive against you. You're either for it, or you're against it. I'm against it. I hate it. It's an unpleasant cancer that's ruining football, along with FA and FIFA corruption. If you're for it, then you should be congratulatory in Man Utd's performance preventing your 50th unbeaten game. If you're against it, you should be willing to consider the fact that the run wouldn't have lasted without diving in previous games.

It's a horrible paradox my friend....

Strange that you can't pass comment on Rooney as you have never seen him do it but that you feel free to pass comment on pires v portsmouth(strange you was at that game when stoke were losing 4-2 at Coventry)
And cazorla v west brom(strange you was at that game when stoke were drawing 0-0 at villa)
Mind you london is closer to stoke than other grounds in the midlands you closet gooner you

I'm guessing you've never heard of match of the day :D
StokeFan
Banned

Postby starmandb » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:38 pm

So when you watch match of the day it counts as being there and witnessing diving when it involves arsenal but not when you see Wayne Rooney diving on match of the day ?
starmandb

Postby StokeFan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:26 am

starmandb wrote:So when you watch match of the day it counts as being there and witnessing diving when it involves arsenal but not when you see Wayne Rooney diving on match of the day ?

Perhaps Match of the Day merely highlight Arsenal's diving more? Or perhaps Rooney's diving doesn't make the cut? I don't know. I've seen plenty of Man Utd diving before buddy. I'm not stupid.
StokeFan
Banned

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:18 pm

StokeFan wrote:Perhaps Match of the Day merely highlight Arsenal's diving more? Or perhaps Rooney's diving doesn't make the cut? I don't know. I've seen plenty of Man Utd diving before buddy. I'm not stupid.

Definitely the latter.

No way will BBC reproduce footage of Gazza MK II, Captain Fantastic, United darling and Enlgish talisman "hard man" Wayne Rooney throwing himself about like a ponce.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby StokeFan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:18 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
StokeFan wrote:Perhaps Match of the Day merely highlight Arsenal's diving more? Or perhaps Rooney's diving doesn't make the cut? I don't know. I've seen plenty of Man Utd diving before buddy. I'm not stupid.

Definitely the latter.

No way will BBC reproduce footage of Gazza MK II, Captain Fantastic, United darling and Enlgish talisman "hard man" Wayne Rooney throwing himself about like a ponce.

That's believable to be fair.
StokeFan
Banned

Postby Clara » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:01 pm

The best bloddy football team in the history of the world (just!).

Yes, there is that Man United 1999 team, but they did something last achieved by a British club 22 years ago at the time; its no biggie in comparison to repeating something last achived in the UK from the early 20th century, not forgetting we had to play 38 matches and avoid defeat every time!

Will definitely watch that video tonight, instead of that Children in Need cobblers!.
Clara
Liam Brady

Postby Massa » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:02 pm

would swap the unbeaten season for a CL all day
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:22 pm

Massa wrote:would swap the unbeaten season for a CL all day

I wouldn't. I know we haven't won one but there is a CL winner every season, going unbeaten - especially in the PL - is a rare feat.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen again in my lifetime.

We'll have chances to win the CL in the future. Going undefeated is a once in a lifetime achievement.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Remember this time last year people were talking about chelsea doing it? What a difference a year makes!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:32 pm

Massa wrote:would swap the unbeaten season for a CL all day