History of the second kit

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

History of the second kit

Postby FoLL » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:09 am

Hi everybody!
We decided to make a series of articles on the history of the Club for Russian-speaking supporters and faced with a problem.
In 'History' section of official site (http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... rsenal-kit) we can see a phrase "In the 1950s a second kit was developed to combat any clash of colours with opposing home teams wearing similar kits". But as far as I know, Arsenal used white shirts as a second kit in the 30s and even earlier. Furthermore, at the same page it is said, that "In 2007/08 the Club launched a white-shirted away kit with redcurrant shorts, designed to pay tribute to the influence of Herbert Chapman on the Club". What kind of connection there's between Herbert Chapman and white shirts? It was meant that we had used white shirts in his time?
So what is it, another mistake of arsenal.com, or something I don't know? I would be very grateful if you help us to resolve this contradiction. Thank you in advance.
FoLL
Liam Brady

Re: History of the second kit

Postby FoLL » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 am

Thank you. It seems that it is a common knowledge. All the more strange that arsenal.com has another opinion.
FoLL
Liam Brady

Postby Zenith » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:32 am

That 91-93 away-kit looked so terribly awful :rofll:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Libertine » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 pm

I mentioned it in another thread somewhere on here but all clubs (with the obvious exception of those that wore white as a home shirt) wore white as a change kit in "the old days".

I believe in American sports (certainly the NFL) that is still the case.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Libertine wrote:I mentioned it in another thread somewhere on here but all clubs (with the obvious exception of those that wore white as a home shirt) wore white as a change kit in "the old days".

Yep, and in the NHL too.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby FoLL » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Libertine wrote:I mentioned it in another thread somewhere on here but all clubs (with the obvious exception of those that wore white as a home shirt) wore white as a change kit in "the old days".

Thanks a lot, that explains everything.
FoLL
Liam Brady

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club