Super Diaby

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Super Diaby

Postby Zedie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:09 am

Cheese wrote:Tonight wasted a perfectly good opportunity for a 4th goal - which would surely have guaranteed us the match - but also made some important defensive headers late on in the game.

Worthy of his substitute appearance tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, a lot of the haters seem to gloss over these facts when assessing Diaby's performances. OK he didnt set the world alight in the 15mins he was on, but people seem to forget the stop / start nature of his career to date and the severity of the injuries he has come back from.

I remember the negative reactions that DJ got at the start of the season (me included) and if theres one thing to learn from that, its give him time! Who knows, he may turn into the player AW saw in him in the first place.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby gzagee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:39 am

No point trying to defend him on this forum. Some folks will never give him his due.
He is a fantastic talent when deployed properly, i.e. further forward (which is what i said on the first page of this very thread) where he can really hurt the opposition.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Est83 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:14 am

Other players have been expected to adapt to their less favoured positions in the hope they'll learn something from it. It's not ideal and it's not always the right thing to do, but a professional footballer should be able to do this. It's not as though Diaby is a striker that's been expected to go in goal.

He has pace, covers so much ground and at times has Kanu's magnetic feet and is able to dribble through three or four players. So I can understand why Wenger plays him more as a CM and wants him to develop his defensive game, because if he could, the comparisons between him and Vieira would be perfectly understandable.

If he was played in a more free, attacking role (that suits him) more often, then I have no doubt he'll find the consistency that he's lacked for so long... and then everyone will be on his dick because deep down we all know how much talent he has. But the man literally just needs a back bone and a bit of grit and c**tishness and he would be Vieira mk2, so can you blame Wenger for trying?

But like I said, sometimes it's not always the right thing to do (playing players out of their position in the hope that it develops other aspects of their game), and typical stubborn Wenger has been doing it with Diaby for a long time now.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:39 am

Sick to the back teeth of his apologists simply making up apparent criticisms when no one has said anything of the sort. But the trolls are gonna talk rubbish to suit their cause on this forum, i'll gladly call you all out on it.

He's not expected to set the world on fire, who wants him to? He just has to be a semi intelligent player, keep the ball, don't do anything stupid. But that is beyond him. If Diaby did what Denilson does, only with more strength and his greater presence, I would be ecstatic
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby gzagee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Who's a troll?
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Zedie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:49 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Sick to the back teeth of his apologists simply making up apparent criticisms when no one has said anything of the sort. But the trolls are gonna talk rubbish to suit their cause on this forum, i'll gladly call you all out on it.

He's not expected to set the world on fire, who wants him to? He just has to be a semi intelligent player, keep the ball, don't do anything stupid. But that is beyond him. If Diaby did what Denilson does, only with more strength and his greater presence, I would be ecstatic

The problem with that is, your asking a naturally ultra attack minded player to completely go against how he plays. Denilson only plays steady because thats the game he knows, asking him to be more attack minded would more than likely yield the same results as whats happend with Diaby. In terms of playing the simple ball, hes probably not going to do that because hes always looking to get something started as oppose to playing the safe option that Denilson quite rightly looks for.

He will never be a Vieira becuase he hasnt got that defensive mindedness as a base. Wenger needs to stop thinking he can turn Diaby into one and go out and purchase a proper tough tackling DM to do that job! Some players will find it harder to adapt than others in new roles.

Case study - Kolo Toure - The guy was deployed in practically every position for a couple of seasons, playing at a 'meh' level, before he was stuck back into the position he started off in. Tada! Hes a Prem quality CB.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:57 pm

starmandb wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:The fact that you can remember his good games should tell you why not starman. Look Diaby has talent but sorry he's shit. Unless he wears a France kit 90% of the time he deserves to be executed.

no it suggests that he has been good in 3 of the games out of 7 that he has featured in
cosidering he has played in a side who in the timeframe since his debut against them has won 2 in 10 singling him out seems very unfair
the only time he was below par against them was the 4-1 home defeat and there were 2 players who were equaly as culpable.also 1 of those games was an 18 minute sub appearance at stamford bridge in 07/08 when we lost sagna so it really is unfair to rate

Just because he has been good against Chelski a few times doesn't make it unfair to rate him. More often than not he is useless. I am not going to give him a pass because of a few good performances, on any other team he would be nothing more than a bench warmer.

i said not to rate him in an 18minute sub appearance not overall
this all began from somebody saying i hope he does,nt play to which i answered with 3 good games he has had against chelsea.you carry on wishing injurys on our players though...thats the way forward

I'm rating him overall, not just against chelski, and certainly not because of an 18 minute sub appearance. Unlike a few others I will admit when he's had a good game. I any of our players play well I will give them the credit they deserve. My point about Diaby is that he's not good enough more often than not. He was keeping a starting place for a long time even though he didn't deserve it, and that is my main gripe.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:37 pm

Diaby has lost his place to Wilshere and didn't do anything in his cameo appearance last night that made me think he should have it back!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby mg86 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Diaby has lost his place to Wilshere and didn't do anything in his cameo appearance last night that made me think he should have it back!

Of course Wilshere should start, is that really even in question anymore? Denilson should be subbed in for him not Diaby in that cdm spot anyway, Diaby is too attack minded.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Forest » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:15 pm

mg86 wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:Diaby has lost his place to Wilshere and didn't do anything in his cameo appearance last night that made me think he should have it back!

Of course Wilshere should start, is that really even in question anymore? Denilson should be subbed in for him not Diaby in that cdm spot anyway, Diaby is too attack minded.

Hes apparently being sold so playing Diaby makes sense.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby starmandb » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:14 pm

everton game was the 2nd time diaby has come on and helped turn around a 1-0
he did it at west ham in the fa cup last season
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby shamrock11 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:21 pm

last season we had a different diaby
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Git » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:22 pm

shamrock11 wrote:last season we had a different diaby

Only for brief periods.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby shamrock11 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 pm

still he was brilliant at stages of last season the injuries are doing him no favours at the moment
OOH OOH OOH TO BE OOH TO BE A GOONER!
shamrock11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Super Diaby

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Diaby only plays well as the second striker, the 'fabregas' AM role. We have about 8 players better than him who can do that. He certainly isn't a DM and has never had a good game in that position!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club