Arsenal Chants

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Arsenal Chants

Postby djaxster » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Super mac was my other reason to support The Arse. the other my Manure supporting dad
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:34 pm

Taunting Liverpoo

A couple of variations that always amuse me, the first goes right back to when the TSB bank started their adverts "TSB, the bank that likes to say YES"

TSB is the abbreviation of thieving scouse b'stards which was used for donkeys years, and the chant was simply "TSB........ YES"

The second spawned from 89 at Shamfield: "Liverpoo won f**k all, Liverpoo won f**k all" to the tune of their "Liverpool, Liverpool"

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Are You T*****ham In Disguise

Came from the 5-0 win at shit state lane (remember that Brady goal?)

We taunted them with it for ages, and that one spread to anyone we were beating heavily.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby djaxster » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:39 pm

And there was that BAD one that we sung to them. Even at the Makita tournament thatwas the start of 89-90 season
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:46 pm

djaxster wrote:And there was that BAD one that we sung to them. Even at the Makita tournament thatwas the start of 89-90 season

The one to the tune of the Michael Jackson song?

If so, that's back in the mid to late 80's it came from. Can't think who (possibly Luton away) in the "1-0 to The Arsenal" era and we'd scored two!

Heavily used when we shoved seven past Sheffield Thursday at Highbury in the early 90's.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby djaxster » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:54 pm

SE13 wrote:
djaxster wrote:And there was that BAD one that we sung to them. Even at the Makita tournament thatwas the start of 89-90 season

The one to the tune of the Michael Jackson song?

If so, that's back in the mid to late 80's it came from. Can't think who (possibly Luton away) in the "1-0 to The Arsenal" era and we'd scored two!

Heavily used when we shoved seven past Sheffield Thursday at Highbury in the early 90's.

The hillsboro one.
djaxster
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:40 pm

There were several versions of Hillsborough, most notoriously from ManUre which we were not noted for, the lyrics to which I won't put on here..... In fact I can't ever recall us chanting about that.

We've done some sick ones over the years, certainly against the filth....

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Libertine » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:11 pm

SE13 wrote:There were several versions of Hillsborough, most notoriously from ManUre which we were not noted for, the lyrics to which I won't put on here..... In fact I can't ever recall us chanting about that.

We've done some sick ones over the years, certainly against the filth....

and a couple of crackers about Munich.....

probably get arrested for singing any of those old classics these days.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Libertine » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:15 pm

SE13 wrote:
djaxster wrote:
SE13 wrote:Does anyone know the origins of She wore..... ?

That came from down at the Clock End and was used for other purposes than just regular chanting which we also picked up on in the North Bank......

I remember all of us singing that at Highbury corner when the team paraded the League title back in 89 and i think that was the first time i heard it.

It goes back further than that, I remember it from the back end of the 70's.......

Libertine will know, he was a Clock Ender......

She Wore.... used to be the call to get stuck in, it was being used back in the late 70's.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Massa » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:18 pm

oo r ya.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Libertine » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:25 pm

Other songs we used to regularly sing down the Clock End were the infamous "Riders Of The Night" and (normally to liven us all during another dull draw in the late 70's - early 80's) a rendition of "Knees up Mother Brown", when everyone would charge around kicking lumps out of each other whilst doing the 'knees-up'.

The words to Knees Up Mother Brown got changed for a game against Utd in the late 70's to "Who's Up Mary Brown", after the newspapers exposed that the Utd manager (Tommy Docherty) had been caught shagging his physio's missus (Mary Brown).

On the subject of "Knees-up", several people swear that's where the cry of EIE originated from.....
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Libertine wrote:
SE13 wrote:
djaxster wrote:
SE13 wrote:Does anyone know the origins of She wore..... ?

That came from down at the Clock End and was used for other purposes than just regular chanting which we also picked up on in the North Bank......

I remember all of us singing that at Highbury corner when the team paraded the League title back in 89 and i think that was the first time i heard it.

It goes back further than that, I remember it from the back end of the 70's.......

Libertine will know, he was a Clock Ender......

She Wore.... used to be the call to get stuck in, it was being used back in the late 70's.

But must have been your end that invented it, it's not an NB song, we pinched it from you.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:11 pm

Libertine wrote:The words to Knees Up Mother Brown got changed for a game against Utd in the late 70's to "Who's Up Mary Brown", after the newspapers exposed that the Utd manager (Tommy Docherty) had been caught shagging his physio's missus (Mary Brown).

How odd! I was only thinking about that one a couple of hours ago!

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:58 pm

Thank you very much

This one was spawned away at Middlesex when we thumped them 5-0, the game most remembered for that Brady goal. The song by The Scaffold was played at half time, and we just changed it to "Thank you very much for the two points Tottenham, thank you very much, thank you very very much"

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Briggsy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 pm

SE13 wrote:Thinking back through the mists of time, I'm fairly sure we were one of the first teams (if not the first team) to have an individual chant for each player.

We were quite creative up on The North Bank, and a bit of credit has to go to those on The Clock End for reciprocating and on occasion inventing some as well.

I'll start the series with Ian Wright.

The chant as you know it now was similar, but with a single "Wright", so sounded "Ian Wriiiiiiiiiiiiight" to start with, and it evolved quite by accident. For those that can remember terraces, The North Bank was very vocal, and we tended to split ourselves top, middle and lower (bottom)

Anyhow, the idea was that the top would start the chant, the middle would start the chant as the top went to "Wright" and so on. But it all went completely wrong, and sounded more as it does now. The Clock End chanted it back as it now sounds, and so that one was born.

Palace may well have used it previously, they claim so, but it wasn't one I'd ever heard, nor those of us up the top of The North Bank who created the majority of the chants had either.

don't want to discount your story but at the time Ian Wright was at Arsenal, there was a Pizza hut advert using the song feeling hot hot hot. So it evolved from that
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club